- USB data connection for fast map downloads from Garmin's entire

line of MapSource CDs

- 256-color, bright, sunlight-readable display makes it easy to view

turn-by-turn instructions and map detail

- 115MB memory

Appears from the "package" info that it also includes City Select,

which if you have a V and are looking to upgrade, you don't really

need and adding it increases the cost.

As for geocaching... I'm not sure about the flip-up antenna. It also doesn't appear to have the geocaching functionality.

I guess I'm still favoring the 76CS to replace my V.

David

I sure hope that's not the GPS VI I've been waiting for. The form factor doesn't appear to be conductive to hiking. It looks like a portable street pilot for people who never leave the asphalt. They have stepped the memory in the right direction. A rechargable internal lithium batter is cool, but only if you can pop it out and slap in some AA's in a pinch.

It's not yet enough to make me drop my V and upgrade.

I don't mind the lithium Ion battery, my ham radio has one and only takes 2 hours to charge or less, No memory problems with Lithium ion. But, no SD Card, A patch antenna, Small screen , to me thats 3 strikes.

until you have to send it into Garmin after only a year's use to get it replaced! Screw that... I'd rather just go to the local store and pick up a pack of rechargeables for $9.00 and do it myself!

This whole trend towards a permanent, non-user serviceable battery is bad people...

I missed the part that said "internal" lithium ion. though I have been using the lithium ion battery for my radio for around four years charging it almost every day and it is still working. Sure using a Lithium ion battery that may be switched out by the owner of the GPS may cost a little more, it would make a lot more sense.

What a state of affairs in the a GPS world

Magellan with three new models and no PC link in any of them,

then a new Garmin with an internal battery and at over $600.00.

Side note on teh Garmin, August release- my guess would be late october or early November

Yeah, I guess with the internal battery (unless user-changeable) it is not geared for true outdoor use. Definitely not something that you can take backpacking, etc.

I can see how it would be pretty slick for car use though especially those with multiple cars in their families.

I'll stick with my 60C!

As for the batteries, I think they are the wave of the future. Cell phones use them for a reason, they can be made thin. If you want the thin profile, you either have to drop to AAAs or L-IONs. AAAs just don't have the staying power.

I would also like to be sure they can be swapped by the user. Then you just have to buy another as a spare, just like I have for the phone.

I would also like to be sure they can be swapped by the user.  Then you just have to buy another as a spare, just like I have for the phone.

That's the problem...

If they are anything like the foretrex 201's, they can't be changed by the user.

And the wave of the future is moving for sealed electronics that require no user intervention. This is bad because electronics will have a defined lifetime of use.

Edited by vw_ev

As far as portability is concerned, I would say that Garmin has come out with the Quest to compete with the Magellan Roadmate 500/700 and the Navman iCN630.

The Quest is a sharp looking unit and I am very tempted to purchase one. I'm currently using my 76CS for automotive travel (which does an outstanding job); however, I prefer the horizontal profile of the Quest vs the vertical profile of the 76CS for automotive navigation. Voice guidance is not necessarily that important to me. Also, you can pre-order the Quest at gpscity.com for $509.00. A very good price IMO.

Edited by gpsindy
This is bad because electronics will have a defined lifetime of use.

Although the electronics makers would call that a plus, after all, they get to sell us more electronics that way :unsure:.

exactly... that's why we shouldn't let them. :)

They should at least give us the option of choosing internal or AA battery types... like they did with the foretrex series. This would keep both sides happy.

Edited by vw_ev
As for the batteries, I think they are the wave of the future. Cell phones use them for a reason, they can be made thin. If you want the thin profile, you either have to drop to AAAs or L-IONs.

But the dimensions don't support this. Here are the depths of some of Garmin's models:

eTrex (AA): 1.2"

Geko (AAA): 0.96"

Quest (Li+): 0.9"

eMap (AA): 0.8"

Note that the thinnest model has standard AA cells.

And that's why I'll be sticking with my eMap and not splurging for a Quest, especially if the lack of a replacement battery on the accessories list is an indication that it's not user-replaceable.

Looks like a modified 76C, nearly the same specification, except the internal battery. (I hope they are user changeable)

pt-QuestRF-LG.jpg

Hopefully this isn't what's relacing the V. All Garmin has to do is make it a bit faster, add some memory and color and that's enough for me. Keep the same design otherwise and especially the ability to use portrait or landscape views. Any other enhancements such as geocaching mode or multiple destinations would be nice..

Seems to me that the V is or was the most popular unit on here. Build upon it, don't change it.

Magellan with three new models and no PC link in any of them, ...

On top of that, Magellan decided to go retro and went back to patch antennas and a 2-axis compass for the new eXplorists.

I just love these leaps in technology. ;)

tm

Magellan with three new models and no PC link in any of them, ...

On top of that, Magellan decided to go retro and went back to patch antennas and a 2-axis compass for the new eXplorists.

I just love these leaps in technology. ;)

tm

They could have easily made that GPS a popular one if they weren't so stingy with the options.

Edited by vw_ev
...If you want the thin profile, you either have to drop to AAAs or L-IONs. AAAs just don't have the staying power.

I would also like to be sure they can be swapped by the user. Then you just have to buy another as a spare...

I can live with Lithium Ion batteries. But what I'd like to see is standardization on sizes so that we can buy them aftermarket like AAs. Propietary sizes just drain your wallet.

I can live with Lithium Ion batteries. But what I'd like to see is standardization on sizes so that we can buy them aftermarket like AAs. Propietary sizes just drain your wallet.

And how many of us are willing to live with a device that requires factory replacement of it's battery? Having to ship any device back to the factory to replace a battery is a deal breaker for me. It's ridiculous. Besides, how do you replace a battery while on vacation?

Take the iPod for example -- it costs $100 plus shipping both ways to replace a battery. At least with my cell phone I can carry a spare and replace my own battery. Not so for the iPod.

This is the wrong direction to be going and the only way to stop it is for consumers to quit buying any device with an internally sealed battery.

tm

I can live with Lithium Ion batteries.  But what I'd like to see is standardization on sizes so that we can buy them aftermarket like AAs.  Propietary sizes just drain your wallet.

And how many of us are willing to live with a device that requires factory replacement of it's battery? Having to ship any device back to the factory to replace a battery is a deal breaker for me. It's ridiculous. Besides, how do you replace a battery while on vacation?

Take the iPod for example -- it costs $100 plus shipping both ways to replace a battery. At least with my cell phone I can carry a spare and replace my own battery. Not so for the iPod.

This is the wrong direction to be going and the only way to stop it is for consumers to quit buying any device with an internally sealed battery.

tm

emthup.gif

Ive always wanted a rechargable battery in a single piece that can fit a 2 or 4 battery compartment, then i could use either regular AA cells or a larger single piece battery pack in the GPS.

For the Ipod there is a hack on the internet, on how to replace the thin battery yourself, and there is a way to buy those batteries somehow.

Here is a link to a battery for the Ipod:

http://www.pdasmart.com/ipodpartscenter.htm

Now if we could do that with the GPS at least, in order to save alot of money.

Edited by GOT GPS?
I can live with Lithium Ion batteries.  But what I'd like to see is standardization on sizes so that we can buy them aftermarket like AAs.  Propietary sizes just drain your wallet.

tm

I can't tell if you were agreeing or making a counter point. Standard sizes would be over the counter batteries. I do try to avoid devices with batteries that are not user replacable and prefer devices that use over the counter standard batteries. That's why I have a Fuji camera. AA all the way.

I can't tell if you were agreeing or making a counter point.  Standard sizes would be over the counter batteries.  I do try to avoid devices with batteries that are not user replacable and prefer devices that use over the counter standard batteries.  That's why I have a Fuji camera.  AA all the way.

I'm doing both. I don't mind Li-ion batteries, just as long as I can replace them. But Garmin isn't giving us that option for many of their newer units.

And you're right about standardization. I hate it when each manufacturer uses a different flash memory card, non-standard batteries, and different cables not only for their products, but even within their own product lines. Rino's and eTrex's use different cables -- why? At least Magellan uses the same cables for both the SporTrak's and Meridian's.

Right now I'm wedded to AA batteries and SD cards. I won't even contemplate any device that doesn't use these, no matter how much I like it. I'm in the process of buying a good digital camera and I'm ruling out entire company product lines because of my insistence upon AA and SD. I can't believe anyone would buy an expensive digital camera that uses some proprietary lithium battery that's not readily available at Target or Wal-Mart. Battery dies on vacation, no store carries said battery, no AA option, so now you have an expensive paperweight and no pictures. Brilliant move.

As to GPSr's, the SporTrak's and eTrex's are thin enough for me. If making them thinner meant going to AAA or internal Li-ions, then they can count me out. It's not worth it. The AAA's don't last very long and how do you replace an internal battery while on vacation?

Sorry for the rant ^_^ , but what many of these companies are doing really ticks me off. And I refuse to play their game.

tm

Edited by tubemonkey
For the Ipod there is a hack on the internet, on how to replace the thin battery yourself, and there is a way to buy those batteries somehow.

Here is a link to a battery for the Ipod:

http://www.pdasmart.com/ipodpartscenter.htm

Now if we could do that with the GPS at least, in order to save alot of money.

Thanks for the link and I agree with you about the ability to use both AA's and a Li-ion battery pack. It certainly makes sense, doesn't it? On top of that, the battery packs would all be standardized -- either 2xAA or 4xAA. So will they do it? I doubt it, especially when there's $$$ to be made by forcing the consumer to send his unit back for a new battery.

As to the iPod, Apple wants $100 plus shipping to do it and so does this outfit. No savings. And if you do it yourself, this company will sell you the battery for $90. That's still outrageous -- $90 for a do-it-yourself? How about $50 and some real savings? On top of that, there are many of us who have neither the time nor inclination to "open" up an expensive device like an iPod and start tinkering with the electronics.

Why won't Apple, Creative, iRiver, and Rio allow for consumer replaceable batteries in their HD MP3 players? ^_^ Until then, no iPod for me.

tm

I can't tell if you were agreeing or making a counter point.  Standard sizes would be over the counter batteries.  I do try to avoid devices with batteries that are not user replacable and prefer devices that use over the counter standard batteries.  That's why I have a Fuji camera.  AA all the way.

I'm doing both. I don't mind Li-ion batteries, just as long as I can replace them. But Garmin isn't giving us that option for many of their newer units.

And you're right about standardization. I hate it when each manufacturer uses a different flash memory card, non-standard batteries, and different cables not only for their products, but even within their own product lines. Rino's and eTrex's use different cables -- why? At least Magellan uses the same cables for both the SporTrak's and Meridian's.

Right now I'm wedded to AA batteries and SD cards. I won't even contemplate any device that doesn't use these, no matter how much I like it. I'm in the process of buying a good digital camera and I'm ruling out entire company product lines because of my insistence upon AA and SD. I can't believe anyone would buy an expensive digital camera that uses some proprietary lithium battery that's not readily available at Target or Wal-Mart. Battery dies on vacation, no store carries said battery, no AA option, so now you have an expensive paperweight and no pictures. Brilliant move.

As to GPSr's, the SporTrak's and eTrex's are thin enough for me. If making them thinner meant going to AAA or internal Li-ions, then they can count me out. It's not worth it. The AAA's don't last very long and how do you replace an internal battery while on vacation?

Sorry for the rant ^_^ , but what many of these companies are doing really ticks me off. And I refuse to play their game.

tm

Tubemonkey, you are awesome. I'm glad someone else here feels as strongly as I do about this. Sealed batteries are to no advantage at all to the user, but rather the company. They are inefficient, uber costly, and just plain annoying to have to deal with!

What we should start moving towards, instead of sealed batteries, is improving the already versatile and inexpensive AA/AAA battery technology... Start making flat batteries, or rechargeable lithium AA batteries...

What we should start moving towards, instead of sealed batteries, is improving the already versatile and inexpensive AA/AAA battery technology... Start making flat batteries, or rechargeable lithium AA batteries...

Thanx vw and check this out:

Many of today's digital cameras and other consumer electronic devices are designed to be powered by two or four AA type batteries. A good number of these devices can also be powered by one or two CR-V3 lithium batteries as well. These Li-ion batteries offer greater power output than NiMH rechargeables and can hold their charge for a much longer period of time and they're also lighter in weight. Until recently the only type of CR-V3 batteries were expensive (approx. $9-10 ea.), one-use disposables, but that is now changing.

Power Vision in Taiwan is the first company to begin marketing their rechargeable CR-V3 Li-ion batteries. This mini-review focuses on their RCR-V3 outfit that includes the rechargeable CR-V3 battery, charger and AC power supply. The U.S. distributor for these batteries is BatteryX.com, the outfit as shown above retails for $69, additional RCR-V3 batteries are $39 each.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/rcrv3.html

There's hope looming out there on the horizon for us yet. Prices would most surely drop once other companies joined in.

tm

Right now I'm wedded to AA batteries and SD cards. I won't even contemplate any device that doesn't use these, no matter how much I like it. I'm in the process of buying a good digital camera and I'm ruling out entire company product lines because of my insistence upon AA and SD.

tubemonkey,

You may want to check out the Nikon Coolpix 3200. I bought this digicam for the exact same reasons you state...AA batteries and SD card useage. It's a 3.2 megapixel camera and I'm really pleased with it. The higher-end Coolpix cameras use a proprietary battery (because of this, they are a bit thinner...whoop!).

Right now I'm wedded to AA batteries and SD cards. I won't even contemplate any device that doesn't use these, no matter how much I like it. I'm in the process of buying a good digital camera and I'm ruling out entire company product lines because of my insistence upon AA and SD.

tubemonkey,

You may want to check out the Nikon Coolpix 3200. I bought this digicam for the exact same reasons you state...AA batteries and SD card useage. It's a 3.2 megapixel camera and I'm really pleased with it. The higher-end Coolpix cameras use a proprietary battery (because of this, they are a bit thinner...whoop!).

I had the same AA & MMC/SD criteria when I was shopping for a digital camera. I finally bought the CasioQV-R40 at Sam's Club for $216 about 5 months ago, and I've been very satisfied with it. It was about half the price of any other 4 mega pixel camera camera I could find at the time.

This newest Garmin looks like it will be fine for automotive use, but I don't think it was intended as an automotive/outdoor multi-function unit to replace the V.