Meridian Gold - Lose All User Waypoints!

Milbank

Twice now I have lost all my user waypoints on my Meridian Gold GPS.

The first time I thought it was something I did.

We were about 40 miles from home about to look for a cache when I searched witht the Meridian for the closest waypoint.

It come up with a screen "No waypoints found" or something like that.

What! I searched the map and all the waypoints were gone.

I made sure I had "show waypoints" turned on in the map menu.

No big deal as I had them all backed up to the SD memory card.

I loaded the saved waypoints from the backup file I had on the SD card and all was good in the world again.

Well today I put over 150 miles on and hide two caches.

I marked them on the gps and made sure they showed up on the map.

I get home to enter my caches online. Turn on the gps. Search for the waypoints, "no waypoints found".

Now I"m getting worried as I did not do a back up from the last two caches I just placed.

I look at the map and once again all my user waypoints are gone, none show on the map, none show on the search list!

I"m about ready to throw this thing against the wall and then take it outside and drive over it, twice!

Sure it's just all fun and game, but what if I really needed to count on my gps to save my life or something?

I hope it's just a problem I had with my unit as I'm sure I could exchange it (Wal-mart) but can I trust a Magellan again?

I had a Garmin Legend before and never had a problem.

I went and bought Topo maps and SD card for my Magellan, but may go back to a Garmin.

Has anyone else had this type of problem with there Meridian Gold?

If I had to guess, it's possible you put this thing in your pocket and accidentally activated the secret key combination "Enter, Menu, Power" which next prompts you to "Clear All Memory". A few more jiggles in your pocket and it's possible to produce the same results as you are describing. As a matter of fact, I did this myself once or twice. Now I carry my GPS in a case rather than shoving it into my pocket.

Here are some key combinations that work even if the unit is off, copied from the FAQ in the yahoo groups:

GOTO ESC ENTER- FORCE OFF

GOTO ESC PWR - SOFT UPLOAD MODE ACTIVE

NAV GOTO ESC PWR - ??LCD OFF - KEYBOARD OFF ???

NAV ESC PWR - BURN IN TEST

NAV GOTO PWR - HIDDEN MENU

NAV IN PWR - DISPLAY TEST

NAV OUT PWR - SERIAL PORT TEST

ENTER MENU PWR - CLEAR ALL MEMORY

If I had to guess, it's possible you put this thing in your pocket and accidentally activated the secret key combination "Enter, Menu, Power" which next prompts you to "Clear All Memory". A few more jiggles in your pocket and it's possible to produce the same results as you are describing.

I had thoughts that maybe it was some keys I pressed the first time, but after the second time I'm sure it was nothing I did.

Today I marked my second cache I place. Carried the GPS in my hand back to the car. On the way back to the car I looked at the map screen to make sure the cache I just marked was on there, it was.

We went a few miles down the road and I turned the gps off and put it face up on the dash.

Once home I turned it back on and the topo maps was there, but no user waypoints.

I just got back from wal-mart (45 miles one way) were I exchanged it for a Garmin Legend.

Anyone need a 128mb or 512mb SD card and/or Magellan MapSend Topo CD? ;)