How To Outsmart Horseflies & Deerflies!

Couparangus

Just thought I'd share a way I've discovered to get those pesky deerflies and horseflies that dive-bomb you when hiking/biking. I was cycling one day along a trail and there were no less than 6 of these devils chasing me. I was completely winded from trying to outrun them up a hill and had to stop before I got to the summit. I thought, oh no, I'm doomed. I held up one hand above my head and one of the beggars landed on it. I whacked it with my other hand. Then I tried holding up both my hands above my head and the rest of the devils landed on the back of my hands and I quashed them one after the other until they were all gone. This took all of 30 seconds as they are much slower than houseflies and are easy to whack. I told a non-outdoorsy friend about this and he thought it was hilarious. Anyway, I thought someone here might benefit from it. I call it my "Hail to the crowd" method of deerfly control. If you try it, and are willing to admit to it, let me know how it works for you. I've got some strange looks a couple of times since on the trail, but no deerfly bites - and I can sip my water bottle in peace! :o

Cheers!

Coupar-Angus

deerfly.gif

My family swears by Lee Valley Tools "Deer Fly Patches". It's basically a piece of tape (or fly paper if you will) that you stick on the back of your hat. The flys land on it, and stop bugging you! I'm told they are pretty effective

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.asp?S...ry=2,2190,33120

A piece of gear that I am possibly going to add to my Geocaching backpack are those Electric Fly swatters. My brother introduced them to me. It looks like a tennis racket, with wires rather than thread, and it has a button on it. You press the button, and it charges the wires (off the AA batteries), and you swat the flies! The ones he had bought give off a bit of a spark, and a loud SNAP, and the bug is no more!

The only thing better than getting rid of a bug, is to cause a loud bright spark as the bug dies!

Later,

Tim

(aka: The Geek of The Hurricane Geeks)

Just thought I'd share a way I've discovered to get those pesky deerflies and horseflies that dive-bomb you when hiking/biking. I was cycling one day along a trail and there were no less than 6 of these devils chasing me. I was completely winded from trying to outrun them up a hill and had to stop before I got to the summit. I thought, oh no, I'm doomed. I held up one hand above my head and one of the beggars landed on it. I whacked it with my other hand. Then I tried holding up both my hands above my head and the rest of the devils landed on the back of my hands and I quashed them one after the other until they were all gone. This took all of 30 seconds as they are much slower than houseflies and are easy to whack. I told a non-outdoorsy friend about this and he thought it was hilarious. Anyway, I thought someone here might benefit from it. I call it my "Hail to the crowd" method of deerfly control. If you try it, and are willing to admit to it, let me know how it works for you. I've got some strange looks a couple of times since on the trail, but no deerfly bites - and I can sip my water bottle in peace! :D

Cheers!

Coupar-Angus

Hmm... i find this somewhat far fetched... The thought of CA cycling briskly up a hill just doesn't fly for me <_<:blink::o:D

... but I might try the bug squish activity.

Edited by fizbot
Hmm... i find this somewhat far fetched... The thought of CA cycling briskly up a hill just doesn't fly for me

Hey Fizbot, stand closer - I can't hit you from that distance! :P I will admit that I'm not the *fastest* of mountain bikers, but I can certainly hold my own. And besides, everyone knows the *turtle* won the race. B)

Algo-Bound, if your wit were any dryer it would be surrounded by cacti and tumbleweeds. :huh:

My family swears by Lee Valley Tools "Deer Fly Patches".

Hey, that's kinda cool. Well, having buzzy bugs stuck to a piece of two-sided tape makes for an interesting hiking fashion statement! B) Not sure if this looks any less foolish than my hail-to-the-crowd act. ;)

Cheers!

Coupar-Angus