New To Gps, What Should I Start With?

I need a bit of advice on what unit to get. I can't spend more then $200, and $150 would be alot better.

I want something I could use for geocaching, which from what I can tell any GPS unit will work fine.

I also want something I can use for in-car navigation, specifically the Arlington, Texas area.

Also, it needs to have a computer interface(preferably USB). From what I can tell NMEA is the standard format for interfacing with computer software?

Edited by Dynamite149

I happened to see today that www.shopharmony.com has Magellan Meridian Golds for $169, which has to be one of the all-time value deals.

To get full use of the Meridian, you would need to buy an SD card and some version of MapSend to provide detail street-level maps. But you can get going with the GPS itself (it has a 14MB base map) and add the other stuff on as you want.

points to consider you'll need a mapping unit so here are other things to look at:

size of memory unit has

size of screen

color

autorouting

external antenna

price and which software to get.

and then the other bells and whistles like electronic compass altimator and so on.

i've only had one unit myself so this is all i can offer.

You will not find in car navigation in that price range.

Factors to consider.

The GPS

The routing software.

GPS V Deluxe comes with City Select (Garmins routing software) and there are deals to be found.

With the Magellan mentioned you would need to buy Magellans version of routing software (Direct Route?). Plus it works on some Magellans and not others so you would need to confirm it works on that GPS.

The cost for the Magellan + Software might still be cheaper than the GPS V bundle.

There are other GPS's that do routing but they are much much further from your price range.

The GARMIN LEGEND is a good starter unit with mapping capabilities. I see it going for about $150. The mapping software (MetroGuide) is another $75. You could find deals on both of them on eBay for probably between $150 to $200. Keep in mind that MetroGuide 6 is current and was just released a couple of weeks ago. So, if you settle on MG version 5 for a good price, then you won't be too far out of date. MG4 is pretty old and the maps are not very accurate in many places, but you could pick it up for a pretty low price (one currently bid at $20.50 with 8 hours left in the auction).

Keep in mind that the Legend only has 8MB of memory, and MetroGuide maps eat memory for breakfast!

Another unit which is often overlooked is the discontinued GARMIN EMAP. One of it's best features is its expandable memory. It uses a proprietary Garmin Data Card, and is expandable to 128MB! After I bought the MG maps for my Legend, I decided I needed a mapping unit with more memory and then I discovered the eMap. My Legend pretty much sat on the shelf after that. The downside of the eMap is that they're not quite as rugged as an eTrex, but they're still decent units. You can find the eMaps on eBay going for around $80 or so. You can find package deals with more memory and MetroGuide maps

Edited by Neo_Geo

From what Ive seen on the forums, you'll find that everyone has different opinion on what is best. It's just going to come down to what you want and how much you're willing to spend. You can find an older (but perfectly usable) GPSr on ebay pretty cheap. If you're looking for something newer, the best deal I've seen is over at campingworld.com. They are clearing out new (not refurbished) Legends for under $100. I think they are also offering shipping for $1. I bought one elsewhere a couple of weeks ago for $160. If interested, check out this link. You can get it for $10 cheaper if you join their Presidents Club. It costs $20 but is worth considering if you need to buy any other camping gear. Good luck with whatever you decide.

When i say in-car navigation i'm thinking a handheld unit, that will show me what street I'm on. I don't need anything too fancy..

The GPSr itself will have only main roads such as interstates and a few other main routes. To get down to street-level maps you will have to buy additional software to provide the data.