What Did You Find??

ShadowAce

We have been caching for just short of a year now and we have enjoyed almost every cache we went to. We even started a list of things we have found while caching while we were enroute to a cache.

Before this weekend we had found a $5 bill in a rest stop, I found a $10 bill while walking a sand wash. We found a plastic alligator that still rides on our dashboard while going to a cache in Sabino Canyon.

This weekend we had a find that topped anything I have found and from the people I have spoken too, it appears to top most of there stories..

This is not a one-upmanship topic, it is curiosity.. What interesting items have you found while looking for caches?

7e11156c-ae07-4140-821e-1df609fb3beb.jpg

Yes, we took a waypoint, drove a few miles away, then notified the authorities.

I'll let the Reverend Horton Heat answer that question in song:

Well I was workin' on my farm, 'bout 1982

Pullin' up some corn, and a little carrot, too

When two low-flyin' airplanes, 'bout a hun'red feet high

Dropped a buncha bales of somethin', 'bout hit me in the eye

So I cut a bale open, and man was I surprised

A buncha large sized baggies, with big, white rocks inside

So I took a little sample, and my crazy brother Joe

Sniffed it up and kicked his heels, said, "Horton, that's some blow!"

(Chorus)

Bales of cocaine, fallin' from low-flyin' planes

I don't know who done dropped 'em, but I thank 'em just the same

Bales of cocaine, fallin' like the pourin' rain

My life changed completely by those low-flyin' planes

I loaded up them bales in my pick 'em up truck

Headed west for Dallas, where I might try my luck

I didn't have a notion that I could sell 'em there

Thirty minutes later I was a millionare

(Chorus)

Now I am a rich man, but I'm still a farmer too

But I sold my farm in Texas, bought a farm down in Peru

And when I get so homesick, I think I'm goin' insane

I travel back to Texas in a low-flyin' plane

(Chorus)

They bale all sorts of illicit things, don't they? I'd've high-tailed it out of there for fear the 'rightful' owner knew where the drop had been (though that seems too close to the water to be the correct target).

I haven't found anything interesting. Considering all the things that could be accurately described as 'interesting', I think I'm grateful.

so people drop these from planes?

Often, yes.. But in our neck of the woods they are also carried by "mules". Illegals who are hired to take them across the border to specific spots. They drop the cargo and walk back while someone from this side off roads to the drop point and picks them up.

The packages are then transported and deliverred using all sorts of interesting techniques to keep the law enforcement guessing.

A good number of agents were combing the desert in the area of this one after I gave htem the coordinates I was told. I did not care to ask if they found any others. :(

That's bizarre, ShadowAce.  I've never found anything of any interest -- good or bad.

Hey, did you find this before or after you picked up my TB in AZ (in the Clark Box cache) this past weekend?  It'd be interesting to know if my little TB was along for this interesting find...

He was along for the ride.. If you find the road that Clark Box was off of, then follow that to Parker Canyon Lake, you will see where the road comes within .25 miles of the Mexico border. It (the stash) was down there near the border.

If you have not yet made that drive, I recommend it only during the middle of the day as it is a known route for smugglers and not someplace that is recommended for picnics.

I found a place down there that I would have loved to turn into a cache site because of the historical value, but I would not feel good if someone was down there and ran into trouble. So Yeppers, Lowering the bar was along for the adventure.

(hindsight says I should have put both TB's I had on the item for a picture, but I was more worried about my children being in the area)

Edited by ShadowAce
so people drop these from planes?

How do you do it in Canada. I know you have it, because a lot of wrestlers have been arrested bringing it back.

I found what I think is a hub from some sort of cart/wagon wheel. I haven't taken it to anyone who would know of these things to confirm it.

Edited by mogolloyd

I was working the loam by hand in the garden and when I came back in the house, after after couple of days (weeks), I noticed my wedding band was missing. (I often take it off for sailing season...) Now, this is NS, I was pulling up the dried out bean stalks in the fall, and in the roots of one of the plants, there it was, gleaming as if brand new. She never noticed (and doesn't read these forums...)

I know that this has nothing to do with geocaching, but does anyone seriously think I'd be geocaching without it?

Edited by Metaphor

After telling ShadowAce of my find and him directing me to this site-had to post my find

Around the Pyramid GCGA2F

March 7 by orygun connie (539 found)

Wow whatta cache! We found a LOADED pistol!!!!!! Don't think this is what Santa Cruzers meant for us to find though. We called 911 and they transferred us to the police dept who said they would send someone out right away-and an hour later we called them again and after another half hour a police car arrived and took the pistol! I would love to hear the full story of that gun. We did find the cache and sign in while waiting - being a 'good citizen' really cut into our day in Tucson caching time!

I found a loaded pellet gun at the local party spot once

The most controversial things I have found were both at the same CITO event. First we found a pellet gun and then a wallet with ID and some other things like insurance cards in it. We called the police to come retrieve the wallet. The officer initially seemed interested in caching but his eyes glazed over quickly when I started explaining it to him. I think he thought we were nuts. Anyway, I didn't turn over the pellet gun and gave it to my Dad because I knew he wanted one. It turned out to be broken though. :)

I still made good use of the pellet gun though by terrorizing Bons with it :D:

2ad80557-d077-49bd-8ff4-a5cef09be78c.jpg

I found a loaded pellet gun at the local party spot once

The most controversial things I have found were both at the same CITO event. First we found a pellet gun and then a wallet with ID and some other things like insurance cards in it. We called the police to come retrieve the wallet. The officer initially seemed interested in caching but his eyes glazed over quickly when I started explaining it to him. I think he thought we were nuts. Anyway, I didn't turn over the pellet gun and gave it to my Dad because I knew he wanted one. It turned out to be broken though. :)

I still made good use of the pellet gun though by terrorizing Bons with it :D:

2ad80557-d077-49bd-8ff4-a5cef09be78c.jpg

I've seen that picture before!