Going From A To B

A spin off from Dan’s Finding Caches on the Motorway thread …

Here’s a possible work around solution for the "I want to go from A to B via C, D, E and find caches on route" question, so far I’ve only tried it on Dan’s route but I'm sure it’ll work with other routes given a bit of time and effort

Dan wants to go from Rosslare to Miltown Malbay. A paper map would give you a possible route of -

rosslare

new ross

waterford

clonmel

cahir

Limerick

Ennis

Miltown Malbay

enter each of the place names into Multimap to give you a set of co-ords for each town on route

rosslare 52.2703 -6.3881

new ross 52.4610 -6.9619

waterford 52.1857 -7.1865

clonmel 52.3539 -7.7116

cahir 52.3745 -7.9372

Limerick 52.6663 -8.6373

Ennis 52.8495 -8.9888

M Malbay 52.8706 -9.4323

Next you get a Pocket Query of caches in Ireland and load it into GSAK, creating new waypoints for each town on route.

After flagging all the new town waypoints you just added, you then use a line filter with the distance set at XX miles to give you the required list (I used 10 miles just to keep the numbers down for now)

gsak_ireland.jpg

I am aware from reading the Motorway thread that there is a possible solution using Autoroute, but as not all of us own a copy of it this is the cheapskate option!!

Many thanks to Stuey for putting the idea into my head. Until now I was working on a Unix (ksh) script to strip out the waypoint co-ords and waypoint numbers (the GCxxxx bit) from .gpx files, then search for all waypoint co-ords within a set parameter ... too much like hard work!