Garmin 76c Freeze-up

Olar

Numerous times over the past week my 76C has had the screen freeze-up while driving my car for extended periods of time (happens after 15 to 20 minutes) on the highway at 60 to 70 mph.

This started a few days after upgrading to the latest firmware version and I have not changed any of the settings or options. It occurs with both City Select maps and Metroguide Canada. I will try it tonight with basemap only.

Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this problem? I am on hold with Garmin awaiting "the first available" as I write so hopefully they can help me over the phone.

Cheers, Olar

I have had a similar problem with my 76CS but I don't think it has totally locked up. Mine just seemed to not repaint the map screen totally. It would show part of the map but not all of it. Like only maybe about 2/3 of the screen would have anything on it. I could zoom in/out but there would still be one section of the screen that was blank. Had to power off/on to get it to start working again.

Just downloaded 3.50 firmware today. I'm on 3.40 so I'm gonna update to 3.5 tonight. I've never talked to them but I imagine that will be the first thing Garmin will want you to do also.

Good luck!!

Finally got to speak with a Garmin rep who had me do a factory reset while on the phone. If that didn't help then I would have to send it in to them. I'm keeping my fingers crossed as it did not freeze during my drive home today from work.

Olar

For what its worth, my 60CS does this also. Contacted Garmin who recommended the master reset also. I did that and then downloaded v 3.43. It has worked fine until this last weekend when it did exactly the same thing as before..it locks up and is totally unresponsive. Have to hold the power button down for 3 - 5 seconds to shut it off. Every time this has happened has been while using the compass.

I am interested in hearing how your problem is resolved. I am thinking I will need to send mine to Garmin.

good luck

Zane

Cool.

Just for future reference, could you possibly share how they had you do the reset?? :P

With the 76C off, hold down the "page" and "enter" buttons and press the "power" button on. You should get the regular start-up screen with a prompt asking if you are willing to lose all your data. This reset resulted in losing all my waypoints but did not touch the currently loaded maps. All settings go back to the factory defaults but only took about 5 minutes to change to my own preferences.

Cheers, Olar

Just to update, the freezing-up has reoccurred numerous times since the factory reset. I have discovered though that it does not happen if I travel (on highway) with the zoom level out to 500 meters or more. All the streets display at 300 meters and it is at that point when I get the lockup. Too much detail for the processor to handle????

Before I send it in to Garmin I am trying one other thing. I re-loaded version 3.30 firmware and so far it has worked just fine. I'll run for another week and then re-install 3.50 to see what happens.

Olar

When caching I put the 60cs on the dash between stops.It's probably zoomed in to 20to 50 feet. Mine has also started locking up, I must turn off and back on to continue. It did not do this a few months ago. I am using Ver. 3.5. I will try zooming out before I start traveling and also try the reset. Thanks... Johnal

Edited by Johnal

When I used to do firmware updates on Aircraft Units. garmins Service Bulletin always said to clear the Almanac.

Hold Clear button and power unit up then let it re-aquire the almanac. it takes 10-20 minutes to totally aquire almanac so have fresh batts or other power source.

That usually always solves problems after an update.

Can the reset be done the same way on the 60CS as the 76C?

Mine freezes sometimes also. Usually when I'm pushing buttons and jumping around the screens in demo mode. Loading waypoints, with different programs with the two different cables etc. Pulling one out so the other will work,etc.

When using it outside in the real world on a trip or in the woods I've never had a problem with it freezing up. I do jump around and Navigate etc. but not like I do in the house with the "gps off " mode. I figure it's a computer and sometimes will jam up pushing it to it's limit and will need a reset.

I'm not saying it's right or o.k. but as long as it doesn't do it to me out there which it hasn't since I got it in March. But has happened in the house playing with it erratically.

Edited by capt caper