Sick And Tired Of These Forums.

Milbank

When the forums get to you, take a break. Go find some caches. Have fun with your family. Do some work to improve your local caching association.

Then maybe peek back here in a month or so. Ignore the threads that deal with whatever subjects tend to make your blood pressure rise. Post in the ones that interest you, or where you can learn something, or help someone else.

Your contributions are valued and I hope to see you back here soon.

When the forums get to you, take a break. Go find some caches. Have fun with your family. Do some work to improve your local caching association.

Then maybe peek back here in a month or so. Ignore the threads that deal with whatever subjects tend to make your blood pressure rise. Post in the ones that interest you, or where you can learn something, or help someone else.

Just wanted to repeat that.

When the forums get to you, take a break.  Go find some caches.  Have fun with your family. Do some work to improve your local caching association.

Then maybe peek back here in a month or so.  Ignore the threads that deal with whatever subjects tend to make your blood pressure rise.  Post in the ones that interest you, or where you can learn something, or help someone else. 

Amen

When the forums get to you, take a break.  Go find some caches.  Have fun with your family. Do some work to improve your local caching association.

Then maybe peek back here in a month or so.  Ignore the threads that deal with whatever subjects tend to make your blood pressure rise.  Post in the ones that interest you, or where you can learn something, or help someone else. 

Amen

Dittos Milbank. Thanks for what you do there and thanks for the nice exchanges in emails recently. Keep doing what you are doing and don't let the forums get you down.

I'll jump on that as well...

This is a game...don't let the opinions and attitudes of other people take away from the fact that this is a game...and you are supossed to have fun with it...yes I know some people don't seem to realize that...but that is on them...keep getting out there and finding and/or placing caches...keep contributing in whatever way that you can...don't allow the comments of a few people that are clearly the minority take anything away from you and your fun/life.

It's ironic that no matter what the BBS forum website is online, these posts always appear on them.

You should just take a break from the boards and come back in a few weeks/months. It's hard sometimes not to let the attitudes and opinions of people get to you. But for your piece of mind, you just gotta know when to back off and find something else to do with your time.

Take care.

I must say that this is the most civil 'I quit!' thread that I've ever read. Most go sideways really fast. I don't know you, Milbank, but it is a credit to you that all have been so supportive. I hope you come back soon. I'm also glad that you are not quitting the hobby just because of the forums. Many don't recognize that the activities are really quite separate from one another.

It's ironic that no matter what the BBS forum website is online, these posts always appear on them.

Long ago on a forum I frequented, someone said farewell with a post called "My Magnum Opus." It was the longest, most detailed one of those I ever saw. The word morphed into a verb and caught on, and thereafter "to opus" was to post your "Dear John," "Goodbye cruel world" message to the forum.

The joke, of course, was that the original opusser opussed every few months, four or five times, and never actually left. As do many who opus, of course.

Personally, I've stopped visiting many a forum, but I've never opussed. What if the answer came back, "...and you are...?"

I'm pretty brand new to caching and I'm already taking a break !!!

I am not hooked on this crazy game. Like anything else, it's fun to a point.

I can see how a person can make this their whole life for awhile. I'm just not going to do that.

At first, I thought it was cool driving down the street knowing there was a cache there when all the "muggles" didn't have a clue.

But, at the end of the day, it's only a game and you have to combine it with

other hobbies and lifes adventures.

I just recently went on a trip and didn't look for one single geocache.

Quite relaxing actually.

Like Auntie Weasel posted, each particular community has a name for it. On DSLReports, it's called Dollarciding since when you officially leave, you get a dollar sign on the end of your name.

Personally... just leave and don't announce it. Take a break, play a round of golf, go on a cruise, delete the site from favorite, etc. When you are ready, come back, but don't cheat/peek. And the next time you leave, just leave. Unless you're some kids idol that's a sports star and you're retiring, just leave.

Edited by Team DEMP
Personally... just leave and don't announce it. Take a break, play a round of golf, go on a cruise, delete the site from favorite, etc. When you are ready, come back, but don't cheat/peek. And the next time you leave, just leave. Unless you're some kids idol that's a sports star and you're retiring, just leave.

I think the ones that are TRUELY sick of the forums do 'just leave'. It seems it's just the ones who want a little attention that post that they're leaving, because they almost always seem to be back within a month. Sometimes within a week.

I think the ones that are TRUELY sick of the forums do 'just leave'. It seems it's just the ones who want a little attention that post that they're leaving, because they almost always seem to be back within a month. Sometimes within a week.

That may be true IV, but Milbank is one of those individuals out there that has a lot of class and a lot of my respect. The reason why we have exchanged emails recently is for some cache questions, but also because a he is going to watch several caches while another cacher is going to serve the US overseas (I'm sure you can guess where). I think it is very cool that Milbank stepped up and will watch these caches. All of his emails to me regarding cache questions have been respectful and it is a delight to have a conversation and discussion that is civil where both side express their points and don't get mad or personal. My hat is off.

Milbank, keep caching and "have fun out there"!

I had to take a break when AS was removed because I was very angry and there was nothing for me to do on these forums

Yeah, bet it felt good to cool off coupla hours. :blink:

Seriously, that's exactly what one should do if some virtual message board makes your feelings go over the edge.

Echoing everyone else's sentiments...Best of luck. Your comments have always been well-thought.

One thing I've learned from reading the forums is that even those cachers with whom I have had fierce disagreements are still, at their core, good people who share a common passion. When I meet them face to face, the disagreements don't matter one bit and we can still swap stories and jokes as though we've been friends for years. That, truly, is what keeps me going in this little game.

Thanks, Milbank... :blink:

Milbank, do what I do when things get me down ... eat a handful of super hot chile peppers, swallow 4 raw eggs and drink a gallon of prune juice. I promise you after a few minutes you won't even remember the forums ...

LMAO!!!!!

Reminds me of a scene from a recent movie, that I just can't recall the name of at the moment...National Lampoon's....

Anyway, hope to see you back soon...

Edited by 5

Looks like people have gotten soft around here...

I think the last 5 or so geocides have met with a "don't let the door hit you in the *** on the way out"

Its nice to see people more mellowed out and encouraging someone to take a break and come back.

O.K. who are you people, and what did you do with the forum regulars??