Nj Admin

GeoKender

I have emailed you twice and waiting two weeks with no reply to either email. I have also emailed GeoGuru two weeks ago with my intent, also with the same reply... none. As a paying Premium Member of Geocaching.com, I thought perhaps I would get some "little" answer/reply to my emails. But without your input, insight or guidance, I don't know whether I have proceeded with this topic in the correct manner. Perhaps I will have/get your attention here. I wish I didn't have to, but I am posting my email to you here.

--This message was sent through the Geocaching.com web site--

Subject: [GEO] Copy of email to NJ Admin

Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004

-- Copy of email sent to NJ Admin --

NJAdmin,

I have recently visited and logged two caches belonging to a NJ member (GeoGuru)

who hasn't visited nor posted the geocaching home page/forums in the last 16

months. This cache owner has not maintained any of his/her caches nor has

replied to any emails sent their way. Their caches are in dire need of repair

and/or replacement. I would like to volunteer myself as to take over as its

owner and maintainer. The caches I am stating are...

1. GCAF53

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...3b3-4b92-bc78-a

717b7b98d9c

and

2. GC4112

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...aa5-49aa-ae23-b

c51c33fad59

Both are located in the Ramapo Reservation, Mahwah, NJ. I am willing to fully

take on the responsibilty, if allowed, to make the maintenance necessary for

these two caches to continue their service to geocaching. Personally, I think it

is disrespectful for a cache to fall into such disrepair and even more so, the

owner neglecting his responsibilities to the community. If a cacher is hiking

far into the woods, investing time actively searching for these caches, these

caches should be in excellent condition. This is disrespectful to the cacher who

finds them either missing or abandoned for others to fix a problem, which the

cache owner should remedy.

In conclusion, as a premium member of geocaching.com (Groundspeak), I would like

to take over the responsibility as cache owner for the two caches...GCAF53 and

GC4112.

Please let me know how you decide. Thank you.

Regards,

Mark K.

aka GeoKender

When GeoGuru placed his several caches, a lot of people complained bitterly about "searching for needles in haystacks." (Including a few people that eventually went out and found some of them.) So I'm not so sure they are worth "saving."

Oh, I agree the caches featured quality hikes. I would suggest the original caches be archived and removed and the locations opened up for caches more to the liking of the general geocaching population.

I think the 2 listed here are ok caches to keep. I've found both of them and I don't think these were needles in a haystack ones, not that they couldn't be replaced with larger containers, though at least 1 of them might need to be moved as the final spot might be too active for a standard ammo box.

Also the one that's been temporarily disabled for a while now should be archived as Brian has a new cache nearby. I definitely think the "tossed on the ground" cache should be archived.

Also the one that's been temporarily disabled for a while now should be archived as Brian has a new cache nearby.

The currently disabled one was, in my opinion, the best of the bunch. In its original form, it was a unique cache hidden in a unique manner. Great hike, too. But unfortunately, it was damaged and replaced in a different manner by another geocacher within a few weeks of placement. The owner never replaced the cache, so we can conclude the caches were abandoned at the time of placement.

On second thought, I agree that there really is no need for those caches anymore; as has been stated, newer caches are already in place nearby. Simply archive the old pages and remove the remains of the old (or replacement) caches.

Edited by BassoonPilot
As noted on the cache page of Monroe Ridge Micro Challenge, I have replaced the original containers with larger ones. I was hoping this would be of a benefit to the local area geocachers who have yet to discover this wonderful area of the Ramapo Reservation.

Wow, I found that cache. In fact it took two of us over two hours at the final cache location. In fact I was the first person to find it without any help.

So you made it easier? Boy, I guess I should have waited.

Sheesh

Edited by Harrald
Can you spraypaint it orange and add a keyfinder so I have a shot at finding it?  (of course, there's no guarantees....)

"Ever lost your keys?, reduce the risk with a keyfinder. The 'glow in the dark' key fob reacts to a high pitch whistle and will emit a bleeping sound. If you lose your keys, not only will the fob light up but whistle and it will bleep until you find them again."

What happens if you don't find it then? That friggin thing is going to beep until some poor squirrel hunts it down. Oh wait, it will bleep , not beep .

Nevermind. :lol:

edit: one word, one word

Edited by Squealy

They are all in interesting areas and only one of the Geoguru caches is a true needle in the haystack (that nastiness on Buck Mtn). Good luck Geokender. I hope you can take them over, or failing that, NJ Admin should archive them and you're then free to place your own.

We appreciate your efforts to keep these caches alive. There plenty of caches in NJ, but far too few really good hikes out there. The Geoguru series at least involve good hikes.

Edited by briansnat

I don't know if I should post this here or down a few threads in the "20 Nearest Caches" thread, but I did observe that there are now 13 "temporarily disabled" caches within 15 miles of home. Some are quite recent, but several date back to February and March. Except for seasonal caches or emergency situations, what's the cutoff on these things supposed to be? 30 days?

Edited by BassoonPilot