Any Chance Of Parking Coordinate Waypoints?

Treasure Bandits

Alot of caches being listed nowadays include a waypoint for parking coordinates. Is there any work/interest toward formalizing that as another waypoint entry in the database, so the waypoint for the parking coordinates gets included with the cache coordinates in the GPX/LOC files?

for example, the cache GCGWRQ has parking coordinates. can cachers automatically also recieve, say, PKGWRQ as another waypoint in the GPX file? This would definitely be useful to me, and others I'm sure, especially when people dump the waypoints into the GPSr and Cachemate, and decide on what caches to do on the go.

Possibly, a whole array of prefixes could be used, such as PK for parking, BR (or maybe PP :rolleyes: ) for restrooms, TH for trailheads, etc. Suggestions?

All Jeremy has to do is revise the basic structure of the geocaching database. That's not nivolved, is it?

Clues on where to park can be verbal or numerical. Sometimes "Parking at the five and dime" is better than coordinates. Sometimes finding access is part of the fun. Sometimes just stating that the cache is located inside the park or inside the wildlife management area, or inside the 50's Diner is specific enough since there could be a large parking lot and no specific coordinate would be useful.

Waypoints included with notes and finds are useful for the cache placer and visitors to mention where favourable parking is in those cases where it's important.

Honestly, if you added this field to the cache, it would take away some of my fun of consulting maps.

However, if the field was added to the cache, the distance could be displayed automatically and searchable for things like "less than n feet from car to cache".

As long as a cache owner does not *have * to enter coordinates for parking, I think this is a great idea. Some cache hiders seem to like to make it difficult to find the strating point. Not my style, but whatever floats your boat.

As it is right now, I use Mapquest to enter the parking coordinates then dump them into the GPSR. This is after loading the basic coordinates into EasyGPS and then into my GPS from there.

This would be a cool convenience to not have to search the description then manually enter the coord's in.

Not that failure is funny, but I got a chuckle out of some of the ironies, and especally the ZackJones log of Hitchiti Trail

:lol: 18 pound ticks! That's just a 4 1/2 star, as they're just too skinny here to rate a 5. ;)

Preparing for a good hike on what must be a great cache site - the place to drop in is always an issue.

Relying on a GPSr, even a $1000 package, to route you somewhere only really works best when given a human touch, or most often just in very urban areas.

And his icon with the "Be Aware, Alligators Present"... I've seen so very many gators in the Southern USA that I think I have seen enough for a lifetime. They love marshmellows, but don't let them have any!

He's right, closest road or parking (or closest whatever) is a good option to have for the person creating the big picture for the geocache.

New England n00b's got over 1,500 posts, but under 50 finds. I'd better get back out there again, as I've been posting more frequently, also.

As for a starting point, for me it's always from where the computer is. Sometimes I go by bus, sometimes I can walk, bike, and often it is by car - but maps and aerial shots and sometimes a bit of scouting help. Coordinates beamed right into my GPSr?! That's too easy! :(

I do agree with him that it's fine as an option. Mandatory coordinates for parking (or access) would take some of the fun out of it for me.

And now of course, I'm imagining a "drive up geocache"... his mention of "cool convience" reminds me of the beverage barns. Mhmmm, beverage!

Both of them are hikers, and so know the importance of finding the best place to drop into the terrain - and mark where you park! :D

Alright, sorry for all the babbling. It's time to go out and stuff a cache box with goodies.

I had an idea on Parking Coordinates back in December of 2002. It caused a great deal of discussion.

Take a read on the historical thread, and you'll see that Jeremy has considered adding the ability to upload a GPX file, or upload multiple waypoints for a cache page.

Of course, that was quite some time ago, and nothing has yet been done. I'm glad you brought the discussion up again.