Geocaching In Boulder County Part Ii

jeff35080

LaPaglia said he doesn't anticipate Boulder County using a permit system, but said permitting is one of the easiest ways to regulate the activity, and added that Jefferson County permits are currently free of charge.
How would they inforce that?

Ranger (er whatever): "Excuse me sir are you GeoCaching"

GCer: "No I'm just out for a walk with my GPS"

Ranger (er whatever): "Uh sir I believe you're geocaching"

GCer: "Perhaps you could somehow prove that?"

Thorin

magellan315 is too modest. While CO Admin's efforts in Boulder are commendable -- no, butt-kickin' cool -- let's not forget that this is just one example of hard work done *every week* by geocachers from all over. magellan315's efforts with the park system in Chester County, PA, including teaching free geocaching courses, organizing events, and dealing with a permit system, also deserves a forum thread like this one. There are dozens or hundreds of other examples. Keep up the good work, everyone!

magellan315 is too modest.  While CO Admin's efforts in Boulder are commendable -- no, butt-kickin' cool -- let's not forget that this is just one example of hard work done *every week* by geocachers from all over.  magellan315's efforts with the park system in Chester County, PA, including teaching free geocaching courses, organizing events, and dealing with a permit system, also deserves a forum thread like this one.  There are dozens or hundreds of other examples.  Keep up the good work, everyone!

As always you beat me to it. I want to thank everyone that has worked with land managers to get caching approved or keep it approved. I reviewed many state and local regs that were a result of cachers doing a great job to represent the sport. On of the best is the PA. system.

I was the person at the mike but in no way was I alone up there. I had the benefit of the experience of all who had gone before me. Boulder is a classic team effort. Thanks to all that did this before I had to. I learned much from your efforts.

Michael

Edited by CO Admin
I reviewed may state and local regs that were a result of cachers doing a great job to represent the sport. On of the best is the PA. system.

Geo-packrat wrote a very informative article regarding cache approval in Pennsylvania for the September issue of Today's Cacher.

Great job of stepping up to the plate, Michael...I admire your going out of the way, making a change for the better for every geocacher, as opposed to sitting back, expecting someone else to do the work, yet reaping the benefits. Thanks!

Tee

Yup, Boulder open space gets a pat on the back for their willingness to look at creating a way to geocache on their (public) property.

Meanwhile, Jefferson country (where I live) has let geocaching go on for years. Quite a few caches in those open space parks.

Not only that, Jefferson allows mtn biking in the parks too.

So here we have the great liberal bastion of Boulder considering allowing geocaching, still no mtn biking, meanwhile all the Boulder people are down in Jefferson either geocaching or mtn biking, or both.

Oh, and it might be noted that Jefferson is mainly a republican county.

I guess it is a case of NIMBY.