Ignore Caches

ZackJones

I believe the idea is to filter out caches that one has no intention of ever doing. This has been requested in the past. I've never seen a response to the requests so can only assume it will not be done. It would be nice to know if the site doesn't want to do this or it is technically difficult to do.

I believe the idea is to filter out caches that one has no intention of ever doing. This has been requested in the past. I've never seen a response to the requests so can only assume it will not be done. It would be nice to know if the site doesn't want to do this or it is technically difficult to do.

You are right about the purpose of the ingore a cache feature I would like to have. As far as technically difficult to do, I do not believe it would be difficult to implement but it would take some time. For exampe whenever a search is performed or a pocket query is run you would have to include in the database query a list of caches to exclude. It could be done, but it's really a matter of Groundspeak getting around to implementing it if they decided to implement it.

Zack

Prime Suspect: I realize most GPX programs can filter caches - the reason I want it included on the web site is (1) so I don't have to filter them and (2) when searching on the web site I would like to be able to exclude them.

Zack

Yes, there was no need to list the reasons. They're pretty much the same as those of the last dozen people who have posted a similar request.

As this has come up many times before, I imagine TPTB know that it's one of many requested feature enhancements. It's been my experience that they don't announce what new features are in the pipeline, to avoid people constantly asking the status of those projects.

a little tip if you want to block out the caches you've already found/planted... when you view the cache list, add &f=1 to the web address, and the found ones will be hidden.

When I search for my nearest caches from my cache page, using the "filter finds" function does this same thing.

(edit out one quote too many)

Edited by wvcoalcat

I think the request is to block caches you have no intent (or ability) of looking for from your nearest unfound page.

PQ's won't solve this problem (and to quote people on how to play the game - "Don't tell me how to plan or geocache, I'll do it my way, you do it yours"). I like the nearest unfound page and think that if this is POSSIBLE it would be a much appreciated feature.

The request comes up fairly often.

- Of course - on the "My Cache Page" you can easily FILTER FINDS to remove found/owned caches - as stated.

southdeltan

Great idea. But since we think it should be implemented, why limit it to one category. That's poor programming. Why not ask for a dynamic set of search filter lists.

That way you could add a list of caches for whatever purpose you wanted and include the list in your search criteria, either as a "don't include" or an "only include" criteria.

You could have a "Don't ever want to find" list, a "These caches require I bring a pneumatic drill" list and a "Want to go for only in the winter" list at the same time.

I agree that would be a nice feature. When I do a search in my area, I consistently have to look at a list which includes 1 cache that requires a boat (I don't have a boat), 1 that requires scuba diving (I don't scuba dive), and several that require river rafting to islands or places I can't get to on foot. It would be nice to do a web search where I can block these caches from view.

I agree that would be a nice feature. When I do a search in my area, I consistently have to look at a list which includes 1 cache that requires a boat (I don't have a boat), 1 that requires scuba diving (I don't scuba dive), and several that require river rafting to islands or places I can't get to on foot. It would be nice to do a web search where I can block these caches from view.

I second everything The Navigatorz said. I live in Washington State, and don't have a boat, either. So, I will probably never get to hunt the caches up in the San Juans or on Blake Island, for a couple of examples.

Since that's the situation in my case, it would be nice to have an ignore filter.

C'mon, Jeremy, howzabout an answer?

Please??

Since I haven't chimed in on this one for about a year, I'll reiterate I'd like to see it too!

(Hosted an event a year ago and my first search page became useless, filled with caches I'd helped place... Considering I typically don't have Java on, I can't even get to the second page without turning it on, waiting for it to transfer, clicking the link, waiting for it to load with the extra JS code, turn it off...)

Actually, this feature would nicely fit within the existing "Watchlist" paradigm assumedly. The 'Watch this cache' button could become 'Watch/Ignore' and the 'Watchlist' member page could manage both lists.

Enjoy,

Randy