Gsak And Usb

tigger0006

Yes, this question is frequently asked. http://gsak.net/help/hs1070.htm#3

I posted an update just a few days ago at http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...0entry1055189 but it does cover a lot of ground.

Right now, a version of GPSBabel for Windows is available to those that donated to the Garmin/USB effort. Depending on how that feedback goes, it'll probably remain in that prerelease state through the end of the month and which time I'll put it in the next release. That version does work with GSAK but it's a little klunky to use so until Clyde integrates it.

I have confirmation that it works on the 76C's and the 96C's.

I have confirmation that it works on the 76C's and the 96C's.

Which is great because I just ordered a 76CS today :huh:

Of course, 99.99% of the time I go from GSAK to MapSource so this isn't a big issue for me. Plus, since I'm upgrading from a GPS V I have a serial cable if I needed it.

As always, your contribution to the geocaching community is appreciated!

Please be patient people, Clyde is working hard to get this incorporated. It shouldn't be much longer. I can't speak for actual dates but I do know he is trying very hard to get it integrated.

Cache Well

Edited to correct missing character.

Edited by LordSaw

;):D:D:D

With Clyde’s permission, I am posting this to give a little info on the beta testing going on. Last night I beta tested the temporary work-around for the direct interface with my GPSMAP 76C. This involved using the export function to a custom GPSBabel function. It worked for the download but there were problems with the Icons, which meant the Icons would have to be changed to get the GEOCACHING function on the 76 to work. I reported this late last night to Clyde and promptly went to bed.

:D Arriving home from work this afternoon, I found an email from Clyde, giving an new Beta version of GSAK to download and test. He asked that I try this first and if it didn’t work or had the same Icon problems as the other version we would figure out where to go, from there.

Following Clyde’s instructions, and installing the new version and setting the GPS Settings. :rolleyes: I attempted a download. Worked like Charm except for the Icons were not correct. Erased all the waypoints and went to try again. Just before the second trip, I realized that I had the same problem when I first used GSAK to download through Mapsource. This time I edited the waypoint options to correctly represent the geocaching options. Some times this old brain works a little slow, hey, it only took one time to figure out how stupid I can be. :blink: This time it worked perfectly. Made several downloads, all of which were successful. :D

Next I tried to receive waypoints from the GPSr. No luck. So, I figured it was time to relieve Clyde’s worry and Send another report.

In the reply to my report was another version to download and try, this had the Receive Waypoints implemented.. :D

Well to make a long story short, the receive waypoints function works just as well as the send waypoints function, although it is a little slower than the send.

Speaking of Speed, how does 8 secs to get 985 waypoints to the GPSr sound? This is just below the point at which the 76C fills up, the way I was using smart codes for my waypoints and Description.

Anyway, I’m sure the other beta testers will continue to wring this function out and the Clyde and Robert will get the real version out soon. They both do such excellent work and I have never before seen programmer support like they provide.

Again, Just be patient, I’m sure it won’t be long now.

:D:D:D:D

Cache Well

Edited by LordSaw
:rolleyes: I just downloaded GSAK last night on veeeerrrrry slow dial up connection. I was very disappointed to find that it would not interface with my new GPSMAP 76CS due to the USB connection. Are there any plans to add this capability to this application?

I am happy to announce (with Clyde's permission) that GSAK USB support is in beta testing and it WORKS. It is FANTASTIC to be able to use GSAK and send the waypoints to my GPSr via the USB cable. I was fortunate to be able to beta test this tonight for Clyde. I have a laptop running XP SP2 and sent and received waypoints to and from my Garmin60cs.

My understanding is this is going to be an option for registered users only.

I am so happy with this feature that I am off now to purchase a second registration for GSAK to support Clyde's effort (something someone mention in a forum a while back to show these guys we appreciate their work). Last night I made a donation to GPSBabel for the same reason and tonight here I am with a working version of one of the greatest features of any Geocaching probram!

worked for the download but there were problems with the Icons, which meant the Icons would have to be changed to get the GEOCACHING function on the 76 to work.  I reported this late last night to Clyde and promptly went to bed.

Yes, I got a note from Clyde about icon issues and some kind of crash this morning and do intend to pursue that as soon as I get a chance.

realized that I had the same problem when I first used GSAK to download through Mapsource. 

Since GPSBabel uses the same code for icon mappings in Mapsource and Garmin serial modules, that's an important key. It's also important that I think that code has been unchanged for a long time...

Anyway, I’m sure the other beta testers will continue to wring this function out and the Clyde and Robert will get the real version out soon.  They both do such excellent work and I have never before seen programmer support like they provide.

Thanx. It's even cooler when you realize that Clyde and I are almost exactly half way around the world from each other and still manage to get a flurry of emails interchanged both in the morning and in the evening. Cooler still when you realize that you were probably the first to have GSAK, GPSBabel, *and* a 60C (or 76C or 96C) all at the same time; I haven't had a chance to look at his new beta and we just did the interface between our modules in email, apparently to have it work the first time.

Cool.

I'm glad this is coming together. I won't get a chance to chase down the issues tonight, but will look at soon.

realized that I had the same problem when I first used GSAK to download through Mapsource. 

Since GPSBabel uses the same code for icon mappings in Mapsource and Garmin serial modules, that's an important key. It's also important that I think that code has been unchanged for a long time...

I'm glad this is coming together. I won't get a chance to chase down the issues tonight, but will look at soon.

Robert,

I hope you noticed that I said that after I corrected the default Icon assignments that it worked perfectly. Maybe I didn't make it clear that the problem was OPERATOR ERROR, due to my rushing to try out this long awaited improvement. I had forgotten that the defaults in for Icon assignments in the output options box needed changing. Assumed that my previous edits were still in effect. Wrong assumption.

Thanks again for your, and Clyde's efforts in providing these two wonderful resources.

If I can help testing GPSBabel in anyway, let me know. But be advised it been a Long, Long time since I have done any command line operations.

Cache Well