First Off. . . Greetings Folks

officepuke

First post on this board so hello everyone.

My family and I have just recently discovered GeoCacheing and we love it. My four-year-old daughter considers it treasure hunting, it always brings a smile to her face when we find a cache.

On to my question.

Generally speaking how long does it take a cache to get approved? We hid a cache on the 8th of Sept and it still is not approved. I hope it hasn't fallen through the cracks.

Thanks all!

Hello,

I am one of the Groundspeak volunteers who reviews new cache submissions. First off, welcome to geocaching! Unfortunately, I bear bad news with my first message to you.

Ordinarily cache reviews take place within a few hours to 2 or 3 days. I think the website FAQ's say within 48 hours, and the majority of caches are looked at within that timeframe.

I'm betting that my colleague Crashmore, the Maryland volunteer reviewer, postponed your cache because it requires special handling. You see, you placed it in a park that has expressly banned geocaching. Part of the Geocache Listing Requirements that you read before creating your cache say to make sure that you've obtained "adequate permission" for your cache placement. When the reviewers see a cache in an off-limits area, expect to be questioned about that.

I would encourage you to join the Maryland Geocaching Society, an excellent state-level organization that is working very hard to form and maintain good relations with land managers in your area. This page on their website lists many of the land manager rules for cache placements. You will see that Jefferson Patterson Park is mentioned specifically as an area where no caches are permitted.

I would also encourage you to re-read all of the FAQ documents and the Geocache Listing Requirements. See the topic that is pinned at the top of the "Getting Started" forum. If you have further questions as you're learning about our sport, I'd encourage you to post over there. This forum is for suggesting improvements, reporting bugs, etc., relating to the Geocaching.com website.

That would be absolutely wonderful if you could make some inroads with an off-limits park. Many others have done so with different parks in the past. We would be delighted to share our experiences to help equip you with a winning presentation to the management of this park. I would encourage you to get in touch directly with Crashmore by sending him an e-mail via his profile page. In turn, he may put you in touch with someone from MGS with responsibility for park relations.

It might also help to take your cache with you. They may want to inspect it for harmful items as well. They don't want knives, guns , and such left in it. There may even be a permit you have to obtain to "use the park". Yes another rule, for us to use the park! "Pay to Play". If you need help with more, keep posting, well try to give you all the help we can! Being prepaired with all the info, really makes you look organized and makes geocaching look even better. "Do your homework, before meeting them, if possible.

SF1

I decided not to go today, I'm going to wait until I hear back from the MD Caching group on what they have done. Then I'll go talk to them, probably will not take the cache though as it's already hidden in the park LOL shhhhhhh.

First thing: Remove the cache ASAP. You won't be starting off on the right foot if they find out you already hid one there. I'm not sure what kind of container you used but using a clear plastic container that is VERY clearly marked will probably help your cause. If you make any headway with the management, you should get suggestions from them as to where would be an appropriate location for a cache. Your presentation should concentrate ONLY on the positive aspects of geocaching. In other words don't try to defend any misconceptions they may or may not have before they bring them up. Doing so might actually give credibility to those misconceptions.

Best of Luck!