The Penultimate Post

Keystone always said he'd make sure I never hit 10,000 posts in here. As a favor to him (yeah, right), I think I'll retire from the forums for awhile.

It's been fun sharing my own warped views with all of you. Thanks for putting up with me.

Sure, since posts in the Off-Topic forum don't count towards my total, I may peek in there from time to time (well, I kinda have to since I'm one of the OT moderators).

oh yeah....Geocaching and stuff! :huh:

Keystone always said he'd make sure I never hit 10,000 posts in here. As a favor to him (yeah, right), I think I'll retire from the forums for awhile.

It's been fun sharing my own warped views with all of you. Thanks for putting up with me.

Sure, since posts in the Off-Topic forum don't count towards my total, I may peek in there from time to time (well, I kinda have to since I'm one of the OT moderators).

Why Sax you really suprised me -

when I read your title I was getting all ready to get all over you for the real meaning of penultimate -

most people use it as a superlative (?) when it means 'next to last' which you really meant!

:(:huh:B)

so what's he gunna do - wrap the counter back to zero? Stick it so it doesn't count any more? Fire you?

:(B):huh:

Edited by CompuCash

More Geocaching Sniglets

GEOFLASHING - Placing a warning in the title and then teasing in the post

SMURFICATION - The art of placing the minimum references in a post to keep it considered "On Topic."

BLUESPRINT - Smurf font

APPLEMETRY - Measuring all things in Smurf terms

More Geocaching Sniglets

BLUESPRINT - Smurf font

Will TPTB remove blue as a color option in memorium? Then again, the demand for blue is about to go way down, leaving TPTB with a surplus of blue. :huh:

That's a relief. I can't tell you how many times I have wanted to type in blue, only to get a <<//server error// inadaquate color resources available.>> :huh:

PS:once again my post count is getting dangerously close to my find count. I too will have to lay low around here for a while. Or at least until I can find some more caches. :huh:

Edited by wimseyguy
Wait.  If you don't post again, its really not your penultimate post. 

It's the ultimate post.

Ultimate is not the root word for penultimate. It's penult.

Ultimate and penultimate have no etymological relation.

But wait, there's more.

The second to the last post would be his antepenultimate post, and the one before that is his preantepenultimate post.

Jamie

Edited by Jamie Z

oh yeah....Geocaching and stuff! B)

What !!! You are not posting, anymore!

It's hard to believe!

No more SMURF !

No more Comments:

No more "Super Hero"

GC forums won't be the same! B)

Dag-nab-it! :huh:

I'll have to commit myself,

for sure I'll be going thru WITHDRAWAL not seeing the BLUE Stuff :huh:

We'll all be singing the BLUEs now! :(

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming! B)

Who will say boring first!

See ya soon SMURF !

SF1 :huh::(B)

While noteworthy for being your 9,999th post, geociding on a *999 postcount is hardly original.

The second to the last post would be his antepenultimate post, and the one before that is his preantepenultimate post.

Bonus points if you can name a popular song with the word "antepenultimate" in it.

Well, okay, it wasn't that popular.

My mom liked it.

Have Some Madeira, M'Dear

Stunod,

Good one! I would not have gotten that.

Looks like an interesting song.

I disagree that this thread is off-topic. The thread itself is a direct reference to the gc.com forums, and the conversation is about the title of the thread.

I wouldn't want any of my posts to end up in the maelstrom known as the off-topic forum.

Jamie

I disagree that this thread is off-topic. The thread itself is a direct reference to the gc.com forums, and the conversation is about the title of the thread.

I wouldn't want any of my posts to end up in the maelstrom known as the off-topic forum.

Jamie

I disagree with you. The forum is "Geocaching Topics" not "Geocaching Forums Topics". This is the kind of nonsense that went on in AS and resulted in the "Off-Topic" forum. Let's keep it there.

Someone's post count, no matter how high, is not a geocaching topic.

(Saddest part is, I read the whole dadgum thread) :lol:

Jamie

I disagree with you. The forum is "Geocaching Topics" not "Geocaching Forums Topics". This is the kind of nonsense that went on in AS and resulted in the "Off-Topic" forum. Let's keep it there.

Someone's post count, no matter how high, is not a geocaching topic.

(Saddest part is, I read the whole dadgum thread) :lol:

Well, since a Mod posted this thread, its ok. If someone else had, it would have been killed already.

Can you say DOUBLE STANDARD?

Bonus points if you can name a popular song with the word "antepenultimate" in it.

Well, okay, it wasn't that popular.

My mom liked it.

Google returns:

Then there flashed through her mind what her mother had said

With her antepenultimate breath:

'Oh, my child, should you look on the wine when 'tis red

Be prepared for a fate worse than death!'

That's pretty obscure

Wait.  If you don't post again, its really not your penultimate post. 

It's the ultimate post.

Ultimate is not the root word for penultimate. It's penult.

Ultimate and penultimate have no etymological relation.

But wait, there's more.

Jamie

Actually ultimate is the 'root'. See here. Penult is more like just a shortened form of penultimate. Like Joe for Joseph.

Edit: forgot to be on topic.

To paraphrase a current goverment official: He'll be back.

Edited by Corp Of Discovery
More Geocaching Sniglets

BLUESPRINT - Smurf font

Will TPTB remove blue as a color option in memorium? Then again, the demand for blue is about to go way down, leaving TPTB with a surplus of blue. :lol:

That's a relief. I can't tell you how many times I have wanted to type in blue, only to get a <<//server error// inadaquate color resources available.>> :)

PS:once again my post count is getting dangerously close to my find count. I too will have to lay low around here for a while. Or at least until I can find some more caches. :)

Even if they removed red from the options list, with HTML enabled on the forums he would still be able to type in blue. Unless they can block specific sections of HTML code but i dont know.

OK, so what are you calling your sock puppet? :lol::)

just wait... after two months of using his secretly created sock puppet name, he returns to the computer again, but inadvertantly puts in "gpsaxophone" as his username, goes to the forums, and posts...

suddenly, from deep in the heart of new mexico, a cry can be heard as far away as des moines, iowa... it sounds like some odd word, starting with "f"...

(flugelh***)

what, you honestly expect a reed player to willingly utter the name of a brass instrument?