Geocaching.com

strikeforce1

I ran through a couple pages seeing if I could easily understand the indicator and I could.

Mind you, if I hadn't known to hold my mouse over the indicator for the definition I would have been confused. This should probably be defined.

Edited by Elf Danach

Actually, the tooltip doesn't work with all browsers since the web designer used the "alt" attribute. The "alt" attribute is not designed to be used as a tooltip, but IE innapropriately uses it, so many web developers proliferate that usage of it.

According to the W3C, the "alt" attribute to the "img" tag, is designed to provide users with "alternate information", should the user have a non-graphical browser. So, if a user is viewing your website in lynx, links, or elinks (among others), they can still navigate, and derive useful information from icons like that.

However, if the intention is to create tooltips for these icons, it's appropriate to use the "title" attribute to the "img" tag. This has a twofold benefit. First, browsers that follow the rules, will also be able to see the tooltip (IE does obey the "title" attribute if it is available). This includes browsers like Mozilla, Firefox, Opera, etc. Secondly, users who are visually impared, and are using aural browsers (browsers that speak the page outloud) will be able to make sense of the feature.

For best design, both the "alt" and "title" tags would be used for these types of icons. It allows the greatest readability of the site.

Further information is available on the W3C website. Specifically:

W3C ALT Information

W3C TITLE Information

I've actually been meaning to mention this fact in this group...in an effort to get the cache type icon to follow the same attributes.

Another mozilla user here who can't see the tooltips.

Ditto . I just had to back out of Netscape and reboot with IE.

Using the new system is pretty neat. Nice Job. thumbs up over here! :)

Now if we can import it to the pda and gps! :lol: SF1

Using GSAK and the smartcode feature I get the Type and Size into my waypoint names for downloading to the GPSr and the PDA, That way I can tell at a glance what I am looking for.

Cache Well.

Ditto - another Mozilla / Firefox user here who was baffled by the new icons, until I found this thread. Fired up The Evil Empire browser (IE) and finally saw the mouse-overs. Until then, I was trying to figure out if it was a graphical representation combining difficulty and terrain, with how long it's been since the cache was found as a modifier... :anibad:

Thanks for the new feature - even if I don't make use of it via the browser, it will certainly be handy in GSAK/CacheMate, once I figure out how to leverage it there.

Thanks for the new feature - even if I don't make use of it via the browser, it will certainly be handy in GSAK/CacheMate, once I figure out how to leverage it there.

I don't understand how the new Icons on the search reults will improve GSAK as the GSAK has had a container field for in the last several versions. I don't know anything about CacheMate, but if you use the use GSAK to prefix the Type and Size one letter codes to the waypoint name you can easily see what type and size cache your are searching for. Try %Typ1%Con1-%Code for your waypoint name.

Now if your GPSr only allows 8 characters that is a problem.

Cache Well.

I don't understand how the new Icons on the search reults will improve GSAK as the GSAK has had a container field for in the last several versions. I don't know anything about CacheMate, but if you use the use GSAK to prefix the Type and Size one letter codes to the waypoint name you can easily see what type and size cache your are searching for. Try %Typ1%Con1-%Code for your waypoint name.

Cache Well.

The new icons have nothing to do with any 3rd party software. They were created to make the search pages on GC.com more useful. GSAK and other 3rd party programs already have access to the information and if the creators of those programs want they can make whatever icons they want to display the data.

All the icons do is list the size of the container now - which previously could only be found on the cache page (or in PQ's). This will save a step (going to the cache page to see what the cache is) and allow people to get more out of the search pages.

southdeltan

Cache Well.

The new icons have nothing to do with any 3rd party software. They were created to make the search pages on GC.com more useful. GSAK and other 3rd party programs already have access to the information and if the creators of those programs want they can make whatever icons they want to display the data.

All the icons do is list the size of the container now - which previously could only be found on the cache page (or in PQ's). This will save a step (going to the cache page to see what the cache is) and allow people to get more out of the search pages.

southdeltan

Southdeltan,

I realized this and was merely trying to point out to SnoWake that He already had that capability. I think both the addition of a Size Bar Icon to the search results and the new size of small are great new features, that solve a lot of problems to some people. The new Icons won't help me because I don't limit my search to certain types and always have the cache page with me when I search. And with the smartname capability of GSAK I can tell at a glance at the GPSr what type and size the cache that I'm going to.

Cache Well

My major concern with Internet Explorer is not that it is from the "evil empire" (that makes it sound like it is ok if not totally nice) but rather that it is insecure and unsafe to use. Federal agencies & securty firms are decrying the use of IE. Personally I use IE only very rarely and with great trepidation. It would be nice to see geocachng.com use standards that are suitable for all browsers.

So, does anyone know the person would be able to modify the website as stated in my above rant^H^H^H^Hmessage?

Several other Mozilla users have chimed in pointing out their confusion with the icons as well.

See this Post from Jeremy.

Cache Well

Excellent! I guess I responded to the wrong post...but it looks like Jeremey is all over it.

Thanks for pointing out the other thread.

Edited by pfunky

Southdeltan,

I realized this and was merely trying to point out to SnoWake that He already had that capability. I think both the addition of a Size Bar Icon to the search results and the new size of small are great new features, that solve a lot of problems to some people. The new Icons won't help me because I don't limit my search to certain types and always have the cache page with me when I search. And with the smartname capability of GSAK I can tell at a glance at the GPSr what type and size the cache that I'm going to.

Cache Well

I was agreeing with you and backing your statements up.

I think the new icons on the website are great, for people like me that don't want to use a nuclear bomb to kill a fly (using a big, bloated program to do a simple task). I know some people want to sort out micros - but a LARGE number of people just want to know what they heck they're looking at in a glance. I too look for every type of cache, except the few things that require special equipment.

sd

Southdeltan,

I realized this and was merely trying to point out to SnoWake that He already had that capability.  I think both the addition of a Size Bar Icon to the search results and the new size of small are great new features, that solve a lot of problems to some people.  The new Icons won't help me because I don't limit my search to certain types and always have the cache page with me when I search. And with the smartname capability of GSAK I can tell at a glance at the GPSr what type and size the cache that I'm going to.

Cache Well

I was agreeing with you and backing your statements up.

I think the new icons on the website are great, for people like me that don't want to use a nuclear bomb to kill a fly (using a big, bloated program to do a simple task). I know some people want to sort out micros - but a LARGE number of people just want to know what they heck they're looking at in a glance. I too look for every type of cache, except the few things that require special equipment.

sd

southdelta,

Sorry I misunderstood.

Cache Well