Cito Unusual Finds

Husker55

Hello,

I did a little research for a possible cache spot at a nearby city park/lake today in Lincoln NE. I was walking around and checking out the possible spots when I saw some trash blowing around. I found myself wishing I was carrying one of those CITO bags around. Lo and behold, I saw a yellow plastic bag caught on a tree trunk right close by. So I walked over, picked it up and started bagging the trash as I went along.

The reason why I started this topic is that I made an unusual find: I found a spool cast spinning reel! It was lying about six feet from the shore and underneath a tree. I looked around to see if there was a fishing rod lying nearby. I even looked up in the tree to see if someone had "cast" their rod into the tree out of frustration. The reel had a full spool of line wound on and it even had a fish hook set on its bail.

Since there was nobody around to give this to and I have no need for an extra reel, I bagged it and dropped a decent sized bag of trash in the trash barrel when I got back to my car.

It was a great day to be outside although it was quite windy and I found out a few nice things about Oak Lake Park in Lincoln NE. I even found a couple of possible cache hiding places.

Did anybody make any unusual trash finds, other than the spent needles mentioned in other postings?? :rolleyes:

The last NEFGA CITO was held at a park that's on the site of an old military housing complex, that's long since been demolished. We found pieces of old dishes, chunks of walls, sections of fabric from old clothes; it was something along the lines of a 60 year old time capsule that had long ago been opened and strewn across the woods.

Of course, in sections of trail that have always been woods, we found a recent, though soggy, copy of Playboy's college girls edition. And some condom wrappers not too far off.

Unfortuantely, I found a pipe bomb durng my CITO at the Larus Park Multicache(http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=ad8b2ec0-f147-4688-aa7b-a9607c58dd7c). I posted a photo of it, along with a golf ball, 9/16th wrench and some trash I collected. Unfortuantely, this newly created park has more trash in it ( from years of teen parties) than could be hauled out in a week by 100 people!

I have always done TO long before there was CI. I was cleaning along the lake shore, where I lived for a while, since they lowered the lake 16 feet each year to kill off the weeds. I found some fishing line. I pulled, and pulled and wound it up and followed it to a nice custom made graphite rod, with a Shimano reel tucked up between my dock and the floats. All I had to do was brush some sand off it and it was perfect.

Another time I was cleaning up trash along the shore of some ponds at our nearby state park. I found a full tackle box, surrounded by 7 Michelob bottles. I thought to myself, well gee, no wonder he forgot his tackle box. So I cleaned it up, it had water in it from heavy rains. Now mind you, I didn't fish, but since I was now fully geared I decided to give it a try. The rest is history:

52133_200.jpg

After hiking 4 hrs to a remote spot where I placed a cache, I spotted something that was large and yellow behind some rocks above the main trail. Upon inspection I found a yellow bag of trash and another bag with several more bags and 4 yellow hardhats. It looked like they had been there for a couple of years. I remembered there had been some major trail restoration in an area damaged by a slide a few years earlier. I guess the trail workers left the bags, hats and garbage.

The bags had printed on them"Give A Hoot Don't Pollute" and "Pack It IN -Pack IT Out". Guess they shoulda read the bags .

I packed out half of the bags, and on my next trip in will snag the yellow hardhats.

I have been to several cache sites that I would describe as "redneck dumping grounds". The sort of place down a dirt road in the country where people toss out large assorted gross junk like soggy couches.

I noticed that several of these places had female deer skulls. I collect skulls, but have not taken these since I already have one. I wondered why female deer skulls seemed to be so prevalent in such places.

My best guess is that these are the remains of poached deer and the hunter has dumped the evidence that would identify his freezer full of venison to be full of poached Bambi mothers. ;)

I wondered why female deer skulls seemed to be so prevalent in such places.

Hunting laws. You can buy a hunting licence. You often have to enter a lottery to get a doe tag. With a regular licence you can only hunt bucks and depending on the deer population, doe tags can be very hard to get. Then, when was the last time you saw a doe deer? How about the last time you saw a buck? Poaching penalties generally pretty serious business, so it is important to remove the evidence (head and genitals) as soon as possible before getting back on the road.

Of courese, the other reason is that lots of people like to keep their big horned heads for display, whereas they don't care so much about mounting a does head.

A bulb from outdoor Christmas lights. Why? How? I never cease to be amazed at the things I find in the woods... lately I've been finding spent bullets (the lead part) that have obiviously hit something at one point because the tip is all mushroomed out. They appear to be really old. (Have found 3 so far)

:P The rotting pig carcass takes the cake, IMHO, but Christmas lights in the middle of nowhere?

There's a site I am considering for a cache not far from here where someone drove a car into the woods and abandoned it. Careful study of the remains (grafitti scrawls) indicate that the vehicle has been there since the late seventies. The trail leading to it is about two feet wide.

I'll have to keep my eyes open for more "good stuff". And start packing a bag whenever I go out in the local wilds.

While helping clean part of an adoped highway, we found a Do-It-Yourself Glow In The Dark Speculum package.

"Speculum... sounds awfully familiar... but I don't remember what that is..."

*Google search*

"Hmm, nothing obvious there..."

*Google Groups search"

"Hmm, still nope..."

*Google Images search*

"GAAAAAAHHH!!!!!!"

:P

There's a site I am considering for a cache not far from here where someone drove a car into the woods and abandoned it. Careful study of the remains (grafitti scrawls) indicate that the vehicle has been there since the late seventies. The trail leading to it is about two feet wide.

There is a cache in our area which is just that. Some old car WAY out in the middle of the woods in the bottom of a vavine. One has to wonder how they got it in there! Oh and the hint is "a tetnus shot lasts for 10 years".

This thread makes the custom rim with good tire I found on a beach on the way to a cache (Cussler's Myth, Hampton VA) seem almost ordinary. Got a few funny looks rolling that thing back (925 yards) to the car, especially since the weight of the rim kept it from rolling straight unguided.

It just missed being the right size for my brother in law's car :laughing: .

One lady said something sarcastic, like "I didn't know there was an airhose out there". My answer was "somebody had to clean it". She apologized and admitted she had passed it in place all summer.

Deep into the Green Swamp, a small tin of Ginger TailSet. Now this is a very weird item to find anywhere - but in that locale?

"Placing *ginger* inside an arabian's anus to cause burning and pain for unnaturally high tail carriage. (also done with Morgans and Saddlebreds)" from the ribbons for reform webpage. Maybe it has some other application with hunting dogs? It doesn't repell mosquitoes. I CITOed it out along with the usual bottles and cans.