Garmin Etrex Legend Vs. Magellan Explorist 200

jkibbe

Hi, I'm new to geocaching and would like to pick up and entry-level unit with map for under $150. Both the eTrex Legend and eXplorist 200 seem to fall into this category.

They both come with 8MB of internal memory and a basemap of the U.S and have WAAS capability. The Garmin has a slightly larger screen, while the Magellan can handle more waypoints.

Anyone have a strong preference for one over the other? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!,

-Jason

Gotta agree with ED on this one. The Explorist looks like a pretty nice unit, but the lack of a computer conection port pretty much drops it from my list. Disregarding the whole map issue, I would not want to be stuck with one firmware version for the life of my unit... Not knocking Magellan, but what are the chances they got the firmware perfect the first time? :blink:

I have just recieved my Explorist 200 by Magellan. I understand that it is nice to download a waypoint off the computer. But what about the Multi-Caches? If the download don't include all waypoints, then you need to put them in by hand anyway. If they let you download all waypoints at once then you can skip all the first ones and go right to the end. I don't think so!!! The pre-entered maps are very nice to have for other uses of the GPSr. I believe that you have to go through all the work of entering the maps yourself. Some may even cost you more money!! Think about it!! Are you that lazy??

The Tapps :blink:

Think about it!! Are you that lazy??

Yep!

Seriously If you want to enter them, fine by me.

I would like to talk to you again in a few months. Go do some caching. Head out to new areas. Maybe grab a few along the highway along where you are traveling., stuff like that.

Edited by Elf Danach

i find these discusions somewhat amusing in that some people consider that geocaching or some other recreational use is what drives this industry.

usb is a long was from being the primary comm vehicle for these units, as most professional geomatic equipement relies on rs232c comm and will for the impending future it is unlikely that major manufacturers will abandon it. while usb is so convienet for non-professional use, data collectors and the like normally stick with rs232c serial and usb is of little use the the pro.

i do agree, that not having a comm port is a major limitation for any product of this type, but i wouldnt expect the complaints/wishes of recreational users to dicate the feature implementation of such a product.

the explorist appears to me to be a entry level rec unit that for the average user would work quite fine. if you want some of the more 'professional' features (comm, memory, mapping etc) than i would suggest that more cash is the solution.

if you realy want to see the cutting edge, try a google for the thales mobile mapper, id suspect that when most see the price they would get a little fright though.

Can the Legend somehow interface with a PC via a USB connection? I thought I read someting about a serial connection, which I don't think I have...

If the only serial connection you have on your PC is USB, then you need to use a USB-to-RS232 converter to communicate with the Legend. There are many to choose from; here's one that includes an eTrex-type cable:

http://www.pfranc.com/cables/index.mhtml

Note that this won't make the interface any faster since the Legend end is still RS232, but loading waypoint/routes/tracklogs is pretty quick anyway and even loading a full 8 MB of maps only takes about 15 minutes.

So far the only applications that have been mentioned for the PC connection have been loading of cache locations and updated firmware, but there are many others as well.

For example before going hiking I trace out the location of the trails in the area using USAPhotoMaps (jdmcox.com) and download them to my GPS as tracklogs so I can see exactly where I am relative to all the trails on the map screen. There are an increasing number of websites that allow for exchange of tracklogs of hiking and other trails.

I also record the tracklogs of bicycle rides I take and can exchange them with others in our bike club (or if I want to repeat a ride) and also use the tracklogs to generate route sheets for use by the club. And I have tracks stored on my GPS of the bike trails in my area so if I'm in an unfamiliar neighborhood I can check if there's a trail access nearby.

For driving the GPS becomes much more useful if the planned route is downloaded to it. This can be done either from online mapping sites like www.mapsonus.com or programs like DeLorme's Street Atlas. Then the GPS can let you know how far to the next turn and which way to go when you get there.

And eventually you may well want to add the much more detailed street-level maps. That will also require having some type of PC connection capability.

The lack of a PC interface severely limits the potential applications of the eXplorist 100/200/300 models and since there are other units at about the same price that don't have that limitation I wouldn't recommend any of these models.

i find these discusions somewhat amusing in that some people consider that geocaching or some other recreational use is what drives this industry.

Considering that Garmins newer units(ie...60C/CS, Etrex legendC/Vista C) feature a Geocaching Mode, call it going out on a limb here, but I would have to say without a doubt that Geocaching is in part driving the industry.

Edited by slinger91

Using the phrase "driving the industry" may be a little strong, but certainly the industry will focus on covering every little niche, without losing sight of the long-term market segments like aviation. It seems that geocaching, even though it's only about 5 years old, has grown exponentially. That kind of growth looks like $$$ to the industry!

Thanks to everyone who has posted. I hope to get a eTrex Legend with the necessary USB cable. First, I need to finish my home network... :lol:

-Jason