How Do We Compare?

Just curious how we compare to other benchmark hunters. I recently updated my database of benchmarks we have hunted for.

We were the first to recover 81 benchmarks (some from as far back as 1899!). Total BDT points for first recoveries total 3368.

We found 10 benchmarks that were logged as DNF (did not find), some by the NGS even.

We reported 10 benchmarks destroyed (but, only on the Geocaching site.)

We logged 19 as 'did not find'.

And we have recovered 8 that were monumented prior to 1900 (as in 1871 to 1899)!

John

This is just an excuse to crow some more! :(:(

You guys are WAAAAYYYY ahead of me. My find/did not find ratio is pretty bad (67/42). It is almost 50/50.

What can I say, the Southern California urban environment is hell on benchmarks. Nothing lasts for long around here. To quote Steve Martin from the movie L.A. Story: <proudly pointing out the sights> "Some of these buildings are nearly thirty years old!"

Edited by California Bear

My ratio is getting better. Since March 19th of this year when I started:

84 Finds

18 DNF's

1 Official Destroyed

7 I am still looking for

I just found a BM rich area on the NH-ME border that I will be hunting on this weekend...............22 listed BM's in a 20 mile stretch of road........2 logged as DNF's by the NGS........most not recovered since the 40's. This will either be a rewarding hunt or a big disappointment.

Wish me luck !

EDIT NOTE: corrected my DNF count.

Edited by Spoo

I'll wait and see what I find this weekend on my drive down to Santa Fe. Have printed out about 50 NGS datasheets for various marks along US285 south from Alamosa, Colorado. Unfortunately, most of the marks were already posted by this cacher who we have never seen in these forums. But look at his stats. I counted 34 posts for one day! Very few with a picture. No postings to NGS.

Art -

Thanks for the promo.

OK, briefly

826 found, 539 are first finds

(FTF / F) = .652

420 DNF

(F / F + DNF) = .663

108 Noted as inaccessible

60 Destroyed

533 Disks

58 Rods

22 Mason-Dixon stones

13 other stones (some 1849, most 1892)

172 Intersection stations

28 Others (chiseled squares, etc)

53.7% of Disks and Rods are SCALED

181 reported to NGS, incl 12 Destroyeds

12 states

24 PID prefixes

Oldest monumented date = 1765 (JU3851)

Oldest BM found = 1751 (HU1686, monumented 1976)

Will

p.s. 61 no-PID marks (incl 9 Mason-Dixon stones)

PFF -

High-speed wireless cable modem through Cox Cable. When I was dial-up, my 100 - 200 KB photos would take 30 - 45 sec. to load. Now, it's 3 - 5 sec. per.

Great photo of EZ6496/201DRD, by the way. Given all the recent discussions about photo technique and quality, it looks like I'll have to make some effort to improve my photos.

Will