Cheap Usb Power

Dukie 'n' Dad

Wanted to run my Vista C in the car and not have to use the batteries. All I wanted was some way to power the USB via the car's power port (formerly known as Cigarette Lighter Port).

Found a great solution.

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=156575

This is just one of many vendors who carry the product. Works great, and uses standard USB cables. In fact, I carry just one cable, the same one I connect my PC to the GPS. This particular solution is less than $5 plus shipping. Works great.

On my Vista C, YES. When you supply a USB connection that also supplies power, on the top of the main menu the battery meter turns into a 'plug' symbol. Also on the light level pop-up, the bottom bar shows either battery meter or 'plug' symbol. depending on the power source. Please note that the Main Menu display is included in the latest firmware upgrade.

So, is this not so with the 76cs? What about the 60 series?

Please note that not all computers with USB ports supply power, you need a version 1.1 compliant or better USB port.

Edited by Dukie 'n' Dad
So, is this not so with the 76cs? What about the 60 series?

I plugged the USB connector into the USB port on my notebooks docking station and then directly into a USB port in my notebook and neither of them changed the battery indicator to the plug. Plugging in the serial/AC connector into the serial plug on the back of the 76CS changed the battery indicator to a plug indicator.

My notebook is not USB 2.0.

Some PC USB ports deliver power and some don't.  One computer at work has 2 USB ports, in the same manifold, and they're different.  One will charge my Palm, and the other won't.  I have to look in the back and check which of the two ports I plug into.  The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them.  :rolleyes:

Well, fortunately, in this case, the standards specify exactly now many millamps the target can expect to receive in an unenumerated state (500, IIRC) and how the target can specify how many it requires (the descriptors on my 60 specify "zero", indicating it's self-powered) , the host is free to reject enumerating targ devices based on the currently available power budget, and how the host serial port indicates available power on a given USB port to manage the power budget on a given bus. These factors combined make it easy for those in the know with the right tools to know if a given device should work or not. (I consider it one of the biggest mistakes of the USBDIWG to allow non-powered hubs...)

The 60C's and 76's don't get power from USB (and don't claim to by looking at the descriptors) but theVistaC and SummitC apparently do. I haven't looked at the USB descriptors on those device, but will be happy to do so for analysis if someone sends me a dump or an eval unit to stick on my protocol analyzer.

While it's fun (and easy) to poke at those that form industry standards, be sure your blame is well placed.

On my Vista C, YES. When you supply a USB connection that also supplies power, on the top of the main menu the battery meter turns into a 'plug' symbol. Also on the light level pop-up, the bottom bar shows either battery meter or 'plug' symbol. depending on the power source. Please note that the Main Menu display is included in the latest firmware upgrade.

My Legend C also shows the plug symbol when connected to the USB power. I have also noticed that the backlight always stays on too and doesn't time out when connected to the USB power. :mad: