Pittsburgh Area Caches

Jennifer&Dean

Just found out I'm in Pittsburgh next week. Dravosburg/West Mifflin area but plan to spend some time in Mckeesport visiting family on Sunday. Any can't miss caches that anyone cares to recommend.

So far I'm going to try hitting the Stargate TB cache since I will have 2 to drop, and I hope to try Grand Theft Auto. Time wise I would like to get one or two more on this trip which is why I'm looking for recommendations. I would prefer to avoid caches with a ton of poison Ivy or terrain greater than 3.5*. (Please don't try to PM me as the PM system doesn't work with this login name due to the &)

Thanks in advance!

-Jennifer of Jennifer&Dean, Missoula, MT.

Edited by Jennifer&Dean

I've been looking through their caches and have tagged several as "If I'm in the area" caches. The Leprechauns's cache about the Incline caught my eye as I liked visiting that spot with family years ago. And several of Questmaster's caches sound great but I am concerned about time and difficulty. Junker in the Bunker looks fun. I usually end up avoiding caches that haven't been found recently or have logs mentioning massive amounts of time spent for parts of a multi.

-Jennifer

Pet Cemetery is the Quest Master cache that is closest to where you'll be staying. It is not as remote as many of his other great cache hides.

While I appreciate the compliment from IV Warrior, I'm afraid most of my best caches are far to the west of where Jennifer&Dean will be staying. But, my downtown micros, like "The Elves are Inclined to be Evil" are placed for *exactly* a geocacher like Jennifer&Dean -- a visitor to the area who wants to see the tourist spots and find a cache while they're at it.

If you get downtown, stop off along the way in Schenley Park and/or Frick Park, as both have many very nice urban park caches.

Out towards Dravosburg/West Mifflin, the other hiders with great reputations include drossdross, Team Willow, Nellsnake and Triangulated Trio. You won't go wrong if you seek any of their caches.

And you've correctly targeted "Grand Theft Auto" as a "destination cache." It is one of the coolest urban caches I've ever done. Wear your oldest clothes and tallest boots.

If I can be of any further assistance in planning your trip, please do not hesitate to e-mail me through my profile.

GTA is a fun cache but it sounds like one you might want to avoid if you don't like difficult terrain and poison ivy. The Dravosburg rainbow series is a good alternative if you want something easier. If you have time to get out of the city, do so, especially at this time of year. It's fall leaf season! My best hides are in Fayette County which is relatively easily accessed from that part of the city by zipping down Route 51. You won't be able to do very many of these due to the driving and hiking time to remote locations but you might enjoy a couple of these caches for a change of pace if you have a day to burn. Please email for specific reccomendations.

I don't mind high terrain caches, just can't do a lot of them in one day. I usually try to hit one high terrain * cache and a few other caches while I'm visiting areas. Poison Ivy has me paranoid since we don't have much here in Montana to encounter and I stopped instictively looking/guarding for it years ago. I'm getting better at watching for it now that I travel to areas where it thrives.

I was planning on taking a few drives out of the city to visit family and see the leaves changing. Everyone says they are gonna be perfect this weekend.

Thanks!

-Jennifer