Scuba Caches

donbadabon

Recently searching out the caches that are underwater, and require scuba equipment to retrieve, I found that it is not as easy as searching for the word 'scuba' in the title.

So here are the ones I have on my watchlist, in case others are interested in these. If you know of some I don't have, please post them!

The Rapture of the Deep

Chelan SCUBA Cache

Dean's Deseret Dive Destination

Eagle Reef Scuba Cache

Hidden Paradise Scuba Cache

It's WET Down There!

King Kahekili

Little Rocky SCUBA Cache

Minus 30

Neptune's Trident

Rainbow Hydrothermal Vents

Treasure Coast Treasure Trove (Scuba)

So from what I can see, my cache, Ambitious Snorkeller, is Canada's only underwater cache!

Oh don't worry folks, I have plans for two more Canadian underwater caches - one of which will truly require scuba and the other which might just be accessible by freediving (I'm a freediver myself, at least down to 80'). Oh, I just laugh about all the local dive sites that no one thinks have 'anything" to see...!

FreeFloat

the Scubacacher

I have one that's not been found since it was placed a year ago. Every month I hear at our local caching meeting of people wanting to go for it yet no one has yet. Deep Dam Cache I have thought of changing it to a multi and throwing in rappelling. But after a year of it not being found, making it harder will only keep it as unfound.

Edited by cudlecub

Recently searching out the caches that are underwater, and require scuba equipment to retrieve, I found that it is not as easy as searching for the word 'scuba' in the title.

So here are the ones I have on my watchlist, in case others are interested in these. If you know of some I don't have, please post them!

Rainbow Hydrothermal Vents

Don, it is good to see someone organizing a list of underwater caches under the more-relevant descriptive terms such as SCUBA caches and snorkeling caches. However, one brief note: you had included Rainbow Hydrothermal Vents (GCG822) in your list. While it is indeed located underwater, it is technically not a SCUBA cache, in that it cannot be sought by someone wearing SCUBA gear. This cache is located at a depth of well over 5,000 feet, and SCUBA gear is normally not used below a couple of hundred feet, although there have been deep cave technical divers who have used advanced gas mixtures and rebreathers who have descended to depths of 880 feet or more (and a good number have died attempting it -- witness the deaths of Deon Dryer and Dave Shaw at the Boesmansgat cave pit in the Northern Cape in South Africa in recent years.)

Rather, this hydrothermal vent cache can only be tackled using MIR Submersibles launched from a mother ship operated by one of the exploratory or scientific research organizations which rent passenger space on the submersibles, or by use of an unmanned Remote Operated Vehicle (ROV) equipped with vide cameras, and hooked via umbilicus to a mother ship floating above. The MIR submersibles can hold from one to three persons, and keeps the inhabitants at a standard 1 atmosphere of pressure, and can work at depths of up to about 19,000 feet. The hydrothermal vent cache was apparently placed by the hider using a MIR submersible while on a scientific research expedition, and the one putative recovery effort to date -- if the online note was genuine and not a lighthearted hoax -- also apparently used a MIR submersible as well.

Anyway, thanks for organizing this list!

As I have recounted in earlier notes, I have long been tempted to place an underwater SCUBA or snorkeling cache in the lake in nearby Cunnihngham Falls State Park here in Maryland, as the lake is over 80 feet deep in the center, and I had even largely worked out the logistics of permission (for my placement and for seekers with SCUBA gear) with park DNR administrators, but what stopped me was the pure and simple fact that visibility in this lake varies from one foot to less than three feet, and thus such a cache placement is really not very practical. In fact, I have also considered a SCUBA or snorkeling cache placement in the Baltimore Harbor, but the best visibility in that water at the best time of the year is under three feet, and that, coupled with the level of pollution, led me to shelve this option!

I have one that's not been found since it was placed a year ago. Every month I hear at our local caching meeting of people wanting to go for it yet no one has yet. Deep Dam Cache I have thought of changing it to a multi and throwing in rappelling. But after a year of it not being found, making it harder will only keep it as unfound.

Heh... yes, it HAS been found! :)<_<:)