Cache Theme Idea

PC Painter

I'm so new at this, that I'm still debating with myself over what GPS to get, and haven't gone on my first cache search yet. But I am already coming up with cache ideas, and I wanted to run by you call, the one I am most excited about...

It would be a reasonably sized tupperware container with some random trinkets to keep the non-theme interested people happy. But this one would be centered on sharing your love of music with others. First off, my FTF prize would be a CD from the band "Journey". I did the artwork for the cover of their last CD "Red 13", and I would possibly sign the cover. I know you don't know me, and I hope that doesn't sound arrogant. I've had lots of people ask me to sign their covers, so I thought maybe that would be an added bonus. Anyway, that would be the FTF prize. I would also put in a mix CD with songs that mean something to me, or that I just really like. I might even list why I picked each song. It might also be fun to just leave it un-labelled and leave it a surprise to the finder. The person would bring a mix of songs he or she likes, for the next to find the cache. This might even encourage return trips to the cache, to share and find more and interesting music.

Also....and idea for a TB... a blank CD that asks the finder to record something interesting on it...talking...music...whatever... and then send it on it's way back to me after it's full up.

So....what do you all think of the ideas?

I have had similar thought - making a compilation CD with music that means something either to me, ar in an attempt to musically describe geocaching.

But what about copyright infringements?

I don't know whether this is a gross violation of the artists' rights, so I decided not to do it until I could find out just how many laws I would be breaking! <_<

edited to fix up the, by now, expected spelling errors!

Edited by Azaruk
The person would bring a mix of songs he or she likes, for the next to find the cache. This might even encourage return trips to the cache, to share and find more and interesting music.

I think this is a really fun idea! We have a cache in our area called the "Crappy Music Cache," which has a very clever theme. It is a place to trade crappy music CD's that you don't like, and pick up someone else's crappy music tapes.

I found a CD unexpectedly in a cache once, and was THRILLED! I traded every single item I brought with me so I would be able to "trade even or trade up." We put an ocean-themed CD in our ocean-themed cache, and that was scarfed up almost immediately, so people love it. Another cache in our area has a ton of CD Rom games and music tapes (copied off the original, so I'm sure the copyright police would just love that, but so do geocachers~!), and it was one of the best-stocked ammo boxes I've ever had the pleasure of finding.

I am sure your idea will be a huge hit, and the fact that there is a mystery noise/song/voice on the CD adds to the excitement. The only downside I see is folks who don't have access to a CD-write to create something. Perhaps you'll want to create an alternatively suggested trade item for them, music-related?

I love your avatar, by the way, and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that you created it yourself, given your remarkable background. Congratulations on doing Journey's album cover! *WOW!* They were the first concert I'd ever seen in high school (and saw them a couple times since) and I was a die-hard Journey fan for many years.

If you do sign an album, be sure to keep it super-dry, as the biggest theme I find with caches is "WET inside."

Good luck!

Also....and idea for a TB... a blank CD that asks the finder to record something interesting on it...talking...music...whatever... and then send it on it's way back to me after it's full up.

Although the idea of this type of CD is interesting, I wouldn't put a "strange disk" in my computer. I don't want to risk getting a virus on my new Dell Computer.

The person would bring a mix of songs he or she likes, for the next to find the cache. This might even encourage return trips to the cache, to share and find more and interesting music.

I love your avatar, by the way, and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that you created it yourself, given your remarkable background. Congratulations on doing Journey's album cover! *WOW!* They were the first concert I'd ever seen in high school (and saw them a couple times since) and I was a die-hard Journey fan for many years.

Thanks for your wonderful reply!

I think I'm going to do it. Those worried about what's on a recordable CD can just take some other trinket in the cache. I can make a rule also that the CD have music only on it, or rather....audio only...no computer files. That way, the person can just put it into their CD player...instead of their computer.

Yes, I created my avatar....and thank you very much. I wish I could have seen the look on my face when Journey's manager called me on the phone. Those guys are CLASS....completely. Got the VIP treatment in many cities, hung out in their dressing room a couple times, and they gave me an autographed Fender Strat. You should check them out again. The CD I did the cover for is good, but they were trying a more stripped down an raw version of Journey on that one. I seriously recommend you pick up "Arrival"....as it is actually my favorite Journey CD. You will not believe the talent and voice of their lead singer "Steve Augeri"...trust me...Journey fans will not be dissapointed.

Although the idea of this type of CD is interesting, I wouldn't put a "strange disk" in my computer. I don't want to risk getting a virus on my new Dell Computer.

That's a very good point. Hopefully enough people will have good virus protection, and be more interested in the idea, than afraid of the virus. If the TB fails or dissapears, then at least it didn't cost much.

I think this is a really fun idea!  We have a cache in our area called the "Crappy Music Cache," which  has a very clever theme. It is a place to trade crappy music CD's that you don't like, and pick up someone  else's crappy music tapes. 

I've been carrying a crappy CD around in my bag for ages, ever since I swung near that one and then realized I didn't have a CD with me :unsure:

That one's okay, of course, because you leave a real commercial CD behind.

I've also picked up a couple of people's homemade CD's of themselves performing, which is also kosher.

Keep in mind that not all of the music in the world is copyrighted. My favorite musicians would LOVE to know I was speading the music out to new fans.

I almost forgot to mention... who said the music in the cache has to be a copy?!? Used CD's really don't cost that much. This place I went to in Portlan had a section called 'scuffs' where the CD's were playable but scratched. I believe they were under $5!

Edited by soreyes

I think that is an awesome cache concept. Congrats on the major league gig too! I'm not a huge fan of the band but they are/were a major force in rock and roll, and that is a FTF prize that some lucky cacher will treasure for many years. Although TPTB frown on the copied music concept, I think you can find some way to make it palatable and work. Troubadour is a cassette TB that passed through here a while back collecting music to take on the road with it. I really enjoyed listening to the existing tracks, and thought hard before adding a few selection of my own and sending it on the way.

P.S.: by going the cassette route instead of CD it allays the virus concerns, as well as the mass copyright reprodiution/distribution infringement issues that CD's present.

I'm so new at this, that I'm still debating with myself over what GPS to get, and haven't gone on my first cache search yet. But I am already coming up with cache ideas...

Respectfully, you should find a number of caches before you hide one of your own, if only to get a feel for the caching activity in your area. :P

Markwell, how do you do that? You must be either very organized, or have a photographic memory! :P:lol: