Gps Offer At Aldi

OzzyUK

Pinched this from a car forum I frequent and it looks quite interesting - before I trek down there to have a look can anyone tell me whether it looks a good buy or not??

Aldi are now selling a Pocket PC with integrated GPS and the full car kit for £249.99.

I just bought one today and have to say I'm delighted. The bundle is very comprehensive, lots of kit, lots of software. The screen quality is very good, the voice commands are very clear.

Possibly the best thing is the integrated GPS feature, there are no cables at all, so you can walk around with the unit in your hand and it continues to navigate. The bundled software is excellent, worked first time out of the box and is a leading challenger of TomTom3.

I've just been out for a drive with it and am amazed at how good it is. If you bung checkpoint software on there it will also warn you of speed cameras, much like a B2 or RoadAngel.

Reviewed here

www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=1973

and here

http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/handhe...39152143,00.htm

The offer only started today and I expect they'll sell out pretty quickly.

Oh, and 3 year warranty too.

Cheers, Steve.

I think that they may be different offers. I get the impression from the log that the Aldi offer includes navigation software, while the global positioning systems offer does not. Or is this just my read on it?

That's what it looks like to me. It's a very good price with the software included!

From what I can see you dont get any navigation software included with the globalpositioningsystems deal.

The following items are included in the box:

MITAC MIO 168 POCKET PC INCLUDING CAR KIT

User Guide: User Manual (CD-ROM0

Quick Reference Guide: Easy to follow Quick Start guide

PC Data Cable: USB Sync cable

Cigarette Lighter Adapter: For use in Car

Dashboard Mount: Windscreen suction mount

Carry Case: Protective Slip Case

Power: AC Adapter

Stylus: Included

Audio: Stereo Headphone set

PC Connection: USB ActiveSync Cable

Power: AC Battery Charger

Power Adaptor: Cigarette lighter adapter

Carry Case: Protective Case

Guide: Easy to follow Quick Guide

Software: MS ActiveSync and Outlook, MioMP3 Player, Ebackup, Eviewer, Emenu, Mio Power management Utility

Audio: Earphones and Built-in Speaker

this is copyed from the whats in the box page

But the blurb says:

Even when you’re not driving, the portable Mio 168 can present you with street directions as soon as you come out of a subway, so you never need worry about losing your way.

whick infers street routing software, although saying "can present you" could be read as needing "if you but suitable routing software", but I don't think the advertising standards people would be very happy with it if it doesn't come with street routing software!

Bob Aldridge

But the blurb says:

Even when you’re not driving, the portable Mio 168 can present you with street directions as soon as you come out of a subway, so you never need worry about losing your way.

whick infers street routing software, although saying "can present you" could be read as needing "if you but suitable routing software", but I don't think the advertising standards people would be very happy with it if it doesn't come with street routing software!

Bob Aldridge

I understand your logic in what you are saying, But that is not the understanding I took from it. I alway think if it doesnt say in plain black and white " Route Software included" then it doesnt have any included. If I were to order it and it came with software I would be pleasantly surprised and very happy. If it doesnt I would recieved what I was expecting all along

I got my Medion MDPPC150 from Aldi on Thursday morning. Very very pleased with it.Addresses can be found from my contacts list.Routing is very good.Did 8 calls on Friday morning and never touch a map all day.Little quirks like take left fork and then reapear on original road a mile further on are acceptable.Signal strength is nearly always 6 GPS.

Still sorting through the net for additional programs.

I did buy a Palm bundle for same price.Could not get on with the method of putting in addresses, however it did bring me across the back of beyond in Kent a 3 in the morning without reading a single sign post.

Unit is for sale if anyones interested.

Palm Tungsten E

Metal Case

GPS via wire

Software

Stands for car

Extra battery compartment

OFFERS, Lincs Notts York etc.

the software isn't tomtom but its very close to it. I've been drooling over a mates aldi one this evening. Its some thales mapping (i think) software. Not sure if it will work on other, non medion ppc's.

The software is a cut down version of Navigon Mobile Navigator V4.2. It incorporates TeleAtlas maps (earlier versions used NavTeq maps). The software now comes with 4 Cds worth of maps of europe. The software works well on my older model PPC250 (although the UK & Ireland map nearly fills the 256Mb MMC card).

(although the UK & Ireland map nearly fills the 256Mb MMC card).

but that means it wouldn't leave much room for my gpx queries and stuff on the card :-(

Actually the maps take up 211Mb and the full GPX file for all UK caches take up about 17Mb so there is enough space for them. I have just ordered a couple of new 512Mb SD cards for multiple maps and other stuff for a quite reasonable £57 the pair. :P

Unit is for sale if anyones interested.

Palm Tungsten E

Metal Case

GPS via wire

Software

Stands for car

Extra battery compartment

OFFERS, Lincs Notts York etc.

Mmm.. I already have a Tungsten E but would be interested to know a bit more about the GPS kit. Perhaps you could contact me privately please ? I emailed you through your profile last week but haven't heard back. Thanks.

Personally wouldn't touch Dabs with a barge pole, they may offer great prices, but their customer service is somewhat lacking...

:D

Are those the Elite Pro versions? ebuyer.co.uk offer the Kingston Elite Pro 1Gb CF cards at £46.21.

Matt

Edited by mattwaggie