Gps Passaround

Milbank

Would anyone be interested in doing some GPS passarounds?

What is a passaround you ask,

I have participated in passarounds with high-end knives on a knife forum.

The way the passaround works is I would take a item (gps or gps related) and get a list of members that would be interested in trying it out.

Say for example one of the new eXplorist 100.

I would then post on the forums to see who was interested in trying it out for a week or two.

I would make the list for the passaround of 8-12 people and the passaround would start.

The only thing each member would have to do is post a review of what they thought of the gps and pay to have it shipped (priority w/delivery confirmation #) to the next member on the list.

Like I said, I have participated in passarounds for high end knives and it was a great way for me to try $100 + knives and all it cost me was shipping to the next guy.

There are some other detail to be worked out before I would start something like this with a gps, but I thought I would see if there was any interest in a gps passaround first.

Some other things that I have seen done with passarounds is everyone that participated in the passaround (except the one who started it) can buy a ticket for a drawing to give the item away after the passaround is over. The funds for the give away help to buy the next passaround item.

Just a idea. Let me know if you would participate in a gps passaround.

Of coarse feel free to let me hear any other thoughts you have on starting a gps passaround.

Sounds very interesting, depending on what model gps, I would do it. How would you make sure that no one steals it. I guess you could only include well known members.

edited for spelling

There would be know way of keeping someone from stealing it.

It's a chance I would be taking and I would just have to trust that the people on the passaround list are good people.

The first gps I would try it with would be a cheaper price model. :P

I was thinking that there are a lot of yellow etrex owners out there so there may not be so much interest in trying a yellow etrex.

I would be interested in trying a eXplorist 100 myself, but I'm not sure it's something I would like.

If there are others that feel the same about the eXplorist 100 I could do a passaround with one of them.

After the passaround we could do a giveaway or it could be sold on ebay to help fund another passaround.

The passarounds would have to be done with active members of the forums.

I would not let someone with 0 find and just a couple post be on the list.

I would of coarse need everyones address and phone number.

If I can not check your phone number online with your name and address I may give you a call before placing you on the list just to verifie the phone number.

I would only pass on your shipping address to the person that had to ship it to you.

I would be interested in participating as well. I have never even used anothe GPS besides my etrex, and a garmin12.

How would this begin? Someone has to lay out some cash in the beginning, or get a unit donated.

It would be handy if it also came with a data cable to connect to a computer. <_<

I would suggest ups, as they include some insurance automatically, or require insurance through whatever shipping method. I think that paying shipping to try out a different unit would be worth it.

I can gladly email my address and phone number to be included on a trial of a gps unit. Sounds like fun. I dont get to go caching with others very often, so it would be neat to try another GPSR.

Michael

I'd be interested, as well. Sounds like a great way to try something new, and get some "geocacher"-specific feedback for others as well. I agree that it would have to be done with only current active members with a certain number of finds and/or hides. Perhaps with a certain minimum number of months as an active member as well.

How would this begin?

I would start a new post for the sign-up of the gps passaround once I had a unit ready to go. It maybe a few weeks from now or a month from now, if at all. I'm checking to see if there is any interest in doing it first and it looks like there is.

I'm also waiting to hear from the owner of these great forums. I would like to hear his thoughts on it first :lol:

Someone has to lay out some cash in the beginning, or get a unit donated.

That would be me. I would buy the unit for the first passaround.

I would hope that after the passaround is over it would find it's way back to me. :D

Once the gps made it through the passaround I may put it up for sale to help fund another passaround.

I can gladly email my address and phone number to be included on a trial of a gps unit. Sounds like fun.

Keep watching the forums and I will keep everyone updated as to if the "GPS Passaround" is a go. :lol:

----------------------------------------------------------------

I agree that it would have to be done with only current active members with a certain number of finds and/or hides. Perhaps with a certain minimum number of months as an active member as well.

Minimum number of months sounds like a great idea!

Some great feedback and idea's. Keep them coming...

Edited by Milbank

Sounds interesting and I'm sure many people would like the opportunity to try out some models under their own terrain/foliage conditions, verify software compatibility, and all the other things you can't properly evaluate based on a website or even seeing one in a store display.

To minimize problems and misunderstandings I'd suggest that a list of rules and procedures be written up and agreed to by participants in advance. This should cover how long the items can be kept, how they should be packaged, mailed, and insured, who's responsible if the unit is damaged, lost in the mail, received in damaged condition, etc.

I've actually had fairly terrible luck asking to borrow equipment over the 'net for GPSBabel development. The locals have been quite helpful and small stuff like USB adapters folks seem to be willing to part with, but folks just don't want to seem to loan out big-ticket items like a GPS.

Even when someone says "I have a BLAH and it doesn't work right/at all; can you make it go?" and I say "send me your unit for a week" the conversations very rarely go anywhere.

Now your approach is a little different than what I was trying, so I wish you luck!

To minimize problems and misunderstandings I'd suggest that a list of rules and procedures be written up and agreed to by participants in advance. This should cover how long the items can be kept, how they should be packaged, mailed, and insured, who's responsible if the unit is damaged, lost in the mail, received in damaged condition, etc.

I'm working on that part of it right now.

This is what I have so far.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Rules For Passarounds:

These are the rules for the pass around forum. By signing up for a pass-around, you agree to the following:

The Short List:

1. Groundspeak is not reponsible for anything pertaining to this passaround.

2. I will ship the gps insured appropriately and within the designated timeframe and agree to replace it if lost.

3. I am over 18 years of age.

4. I understand that I am not exchanging money for any goods.

5. I agree to pass along the gps in the condition I received it, or better.

6. If I violate any of these rules, I will be banned and not allowed to participate in any more passarounds.

------------------------------------------

More Complete Passaround forum rules:

By agreeing to take part in any passaround posted on Groundspeak, I agree to the following conditions:

1. I release Groundspeak, it's members, etc from any liability that results from my participating in this passaround. This includes any damages that may result from using, abusing, or testing the passaround gps.

2. I agree that I will have the passaround gps for a set period of days as specified in the passaround thread, then send it to the next person on the list, at my expense. I agree that postage and insurance are my responsibility and that should the gps fail to reach the next member of the list, it is my responsibility to replace it.

3. I agree that should I fail to live up to my obligations in this passaround, I will be banned and my personal information will be published so that others will have "fair warning". This will be left up to the discretion of the moderators. Remember that participation in the passarounds is a priveledge and can be revoked at any time.

4. I affirm that I am over 18 years of age. By choosing to participate in paid passarounds, I agree that the money being sent is not in exchange for any good or service and I agree to release Groundspeak, it's members, etc from any liability for the loss of the funds invested in the passaround if the gps is lost or destroyed.

When sending the gps, I will send by a method that requires signature confirmation and insure the package for an amount equal to or greater than the replacement cost of the gps. I acknowledge that this will be more expensive and bear the sole responsibility for these costs. I will carefully package the gps / item with all seams taped and the item secured wrapped within the package.

(USPS is considered to be the cheapest and fastest service for mailing a passaround gps, however UPS is faster on claim service).

I will make the best effort to pass along the gps in as good of condition as possible, if not better.

In the event the gps is broken, fails, or is otherwised destroyed, I will immediately contact whoever is in charge of the passaround.

If the gps has failed due to defect, I will arrange to have the gps returned for warranty service.

If the gps failed due to abuse that is not covered by the warranty, it is my responsibility to replace the gps.

It is *my* responsiblity for getting the gps to the next person on the list.

Edited by Milbank
Would this be an offer that is only open to premium members, or do you have any requirements other than be 18 or older yet?

No, you would not have to be a premium member.

I only put over 18 because I did not think it would be right for kids to be getting items over the internet from adults.

If my kid was getting things shipped to him from people on the internet that I did not know about I would not be very happy about it.

I know there will be a lot of "what if" questions to work out.

I also will not start anything like this on the forums until I get the ok from Jeremy.

I would hate to have a gps out there in a pass-around and then get band from the forums. :D

I'm thinking of keeping the first pass-around small to see how it goes.

How about going with 6 people and each one can try it for two weeks?

Edited by Milbank

Sorry to say that it does not look this project is going to get very far off the ground.

I have email owner of this site asking for his thought on this and if what I wanted to do would be ok. I have yet to get a reply.

I'm going to take that not getting any type of reply is the same as "no". B)

Maybe another time.....

thanks for the replies,

Rats, I just found out about Caching and have found one without a gps.. "I knew the spot well and got lucky" I have been serching all over the web trying to find a good "waas" gps unit but still in my price range. I have been reading the boards for days now and though I had stumbled onto something.. I would love to sign up for this if it ever does take off, would allow me to try a unit before I buy..

I like the idea and would like to propose a slight variation to the theme.

I own a GPSMap 60C. On it I can load street level detail maps and topo maps. Instead of releasing it into the passaround process and having it flow from cacher A to cacher B it would go from me to cacher A. From cacher A back to me where I load the maps needed for cacher B and send it out to cacher B. Once cacher B finishes they send it back to me and load the next set of maps, etc. The problem with this process is I, as the owner, incur a greater expense by having to mail it out repeatedly.

I own a GPSMap 60C. On it I can load street level detail maps and topo maps. Instead of releasing it into the passaround process and having it flow from cacher A to cacher B it would go from me to cacher A. From cacher A back to me where I load the maps needed for cacher B and send it out to cacher B. Once cacher B finishes they send it back to me and load the next set of maps, etc.

ZackJones,

Awesome idea,

I would suggest you use USPS over the courier services, as some 'little brown vans' can ding us Canadians with some HUGE 'border brokerage and handling fees' ($60.00 and up) on items.

I personally have received a letter from a 'little brown van' company, 3-4 months after a delivery, stating "Oops, we forgot to charge you these extra fees, you owe us $90.00 more". In talking with some of their drivers, they stated that it was a almost daily event where Canadian receivers see the extra charges on their bill of lading and refuse to take delivery of the parcel, so it gets returned State-side to the sender. I phoned the customer service line and after a lengthy discussion, it was confirmed I had the right to refuse the parcel, but only at the time of delivery when I found the delivery charges to be unacceptable. I informed her that I am only now being informed of the 'extra charges' 3-4 months post delivery, and I find these delivery charges unacceptable and would have at the time of delivery if they had made them known to me as they were supposed to. So since I had been thereby denied my rights at the time of delivery to "know all the applicable charges and thereby refuse the shipment", I now refuse the parcel and as such the delivery charges with it. And oh ya, by the way, I am no longer in possesion of the parcel as it was long ago separated and redistibuted.

She told me that was unacceptable and might affect "prompt delivery" of any of my future parcels through them.

I told her to live with it! :blink::D

Long story short, I know it's to late, the added hassles and charges through anyone other than USPS should make using couriers the exception rather than the norm.

Just my skewed opinion.

Don't give up on the idea just yet. Perhaps TPTB are just tied up. It is, after all, the holiday season. I really like the idea, and hope it can come to fruition.

Hmm, a new year and no reply from the higher up people. <_<

I'm going to drop this idea and move on.

Just thought I would let you all know.

Thanks for the replies,

I agree with the last few posters.

Goecaching.com does not have to authorize this. It is YOUR idea, YOU are going to set it up and WE are going to keep it running. If you don't want to involve them just set up a mass mailing list.

It's a great idea, don't let a small bump in the road stop you.

We are still here and ready to try it out.

Joe Smith

I really don't see why you'd need permission either, it's not like GC.com is the one buying the gps and passing around.

I agree with this. If you want to organize it I don't see why you cannot do it. Everyone involved would just have to understand that it is an individual effort and that if something goes wrong then it is what it is. I don't think you need the blessing of Groundspeak per se. If your passaround group is made up of forum regulars I would think you could give it a go and trust most people. There is a huge element of trust though, and the person who supplies the passaround device must realize that they might not get it back.

This is pretty cool of you to try to organize this Milbank. Best of luck. <_<