Caching On Motorways Etc, New Webpage.

Rocky Balboa

I always have the problem that when i'm going on a day trip or something similar and I want to cache on the way, I find it very difficult to locate caches. I usually resort to leaving a note here asking if anyone knows of any in a particular area but wouldn't it be nice to have a website which listed all the motorways and busy main routes in to uk, and the caches which could be found along them, by nearest junction as one example.

I have been thinking about setting this up for a long while now but already spend so much time updating my buckscaching.co.uk site I really don't have too much time left! Is there anyone out there that would fancy setting something up with me. I was hoping to make it a system where the roads were listed and then people could add caches themselves, kind of in the way a log is added to a cache page when a cache is found, (I wouldn't know where to start writing the code for that!) Any interested parties send me an email at dan@buckscaching.co.uk Thanks! ;)

Here's a mad idea - what about posting to a pinned forum topic here? Could a 'special dispensation' be arranged since it wouldn't be for promoting new caches, but a service to the UK (and visiting) caching community on the move.

'Area reps' could suggest themselves, and they'd get an agreed area to look after, add links to drive-by/easy caches by major road route and junction here, and update it as required with new/archived caches. An idea of how long it'd take to do the cache (i.e. leaving the route, parking, finding it, returning to the car and back to the route) could be included too.

I'd be happy to cover my local bit of the M25, M1, M40 and other big cross-country routes around here.

Not as pretty as a dedicated web site, but easier to manage, and a way to promote the forums to the caching community at large as a place for useful info, rather than anything... less constructive.

SP

In this thread Teasel mentioned these Maps, but the only problem is the annual cost (£250 per year). I was wondering if I could get 250 off us, who would be prepared to make a voluntary donation of £1 per year, to enable Teasel to obtain these maps, thus keeping to Marks promise of never charging for the use of G:UK, which I know Teasel intends to honour.

(note to the moderators, if this post is out of bounds please delete)

Dave

Anything atall would be brilliant, provided it had the option to allow users to add caches themselves. If not then one person would become bogged down with entering data which could take years for the amount of motorways!

We don't even really need maps, but they would be a bonus. My original thoughts were just to have a list of motorways with junctions which could be clicked revealing near by caches.

Simply Pauls forum idea was the best I had had too. If teasels stuff can't allow user entries then I am happy to set something up and supply space on buckscaching for it but like I said, I wouldn;t know how to write the coding for a user entry log system :laughing:

Edited by Dan Wilson

Why not do something along the lines of the County-by-County map on www.geocachingireland.com - you click on the town in a country, and it shows you the nearest caches.

You'll need the co-ords for each motorway junction, then you link those to a waypoint query on geocaching.com.

if this makes no sense at all, I'll elaborate further later today.

Won't Memory Map give you the approx co-ords of any point you click on the OS map? That way someone with it could easily make a list of likely caches which could be done within, say, 15 mins of leaving the route. So that's trad without much of a walk, simple off-set multi with clear hidding spot and anything highly drive-by.

SP