Replacement For Fannypack

ZackJones

Greetings,

I've been thinking about replacing my fanny pack with something larger. It seems that with carrying a flashlight, spare batteries, swag, camera, CITO containers, rain poncho, etc, etc, etc I'm having a harder time fitting it all in my fanny pack.

I was at Dick's Sporting Goods in Myrtle Beach this past weekend and saw some light weight or "day" backpacks as they called them. They also offered several different styles of fanny packs, one of which was about 1/3 of the size of a backpack and had water bottle holders, etc on it. Since I couldn't make up my mind I didn't buy anything and thought I'd ask here for suggestions.

What do you folks use to haul all of your stuff around?

When I discovered I didn't have enough butt to hold up a fannypack, I got a CamelBak H.A.W.G. military-grade. Been pretty happy.

Sissy, has a pack that can carry 3 times what I can.

Both of ours has compression straps to make the pack compact and not have everything in the bottom.

Problem with any backpack is you have to take it off to use it. Some folks ahve had good success with Vests Of Many Pockets. These are like photographer's vest or fishing vests. You can get to stuff without taking anything off.

I bought a fannypak at DIck's, it had the water bottle holders on it.

I returned the fannypack to Dicks.

I'll never purchase a Fanny Pack again.

There is alot to be said for the support that your shoulders can add to carrying your pack. I have a camelback, which is a pack with a water bladder. You don't necessarily need that either, its expensive, depends on what kind of caching you are doing.

I like to go for long hikes, so the water bladder is very beneficial to me regardless of the extra weight it adds. My pack has extra straps to firmly secure it to my back, so it fits perfectly which eases carrying it. Also, because it is firmly secured to my back, I use different muscels, not just my back muscles and my shoulders to support the pack, such as my abs and my lats, which makes hiking more comfortable. <_<

Fanny packs are fine for short hikes, or taming those wild urban micros, but if I'm going to be out for a while, then I want a backpack. Like Polgara said, it's nice to spread the load out over your shoulders, paticularily if you're carrying extra water, munchies and so on. Vests are about the same as fanny packs IMHO, good for short trips only.

On one trip to the dollar store, I found a sling-type bag. Easy to take on and off, has more room, was nicer to hike with (I'm not crazy about having a fanny pack in front of me and pulling weight against my lower back) and was close to the body and arms are free. It was easy to sling over the back when not needed, slung on the front for easy access. Try one! Now where YOU can find it, you are going to have to search.

Edited by mayprod

There are lots of great packs out there so you have to decide what features are important to you. One feature that was key to me was that the pack be hydration compatible so I could insert a water bladder and hose (I like Platypus systems, but Kelty, Camelbak and others make bladders too). I prefer going this way than simply getting a Camelbak because that way I can choose the features I want and not be stuck with only whats in Camelbak's line. I can also pull the bladder out and move it from pack to pack if one pack is not appropriate for the day's planned use.

Another thing that was important to me was ample mesh pockets outside the pack, so I have a place to stick trash that I CITO without putting it inside my pack, as well as a place to store wet ponchos and other items I wouldn't want inside my pack. I also hike a lot in the winter and wanted a pack large enough to carry extra winter clothing, but it also had to have cinch straps so I can compress the contents for summer hikes when the pack wasn't as full.

Of course what is important to me isn't necessarily important to you, so your choice should be based on what you feel is important. If you prefer water bottles over hydration bladders, you might skip hydration compatibility and go for a pack with plentiful pockets for water bottles. If you don't usually carry a lot and mostly hike in warmer climates a smaller pack will do. If on the other hand you carry all the family's stuff on hikes you may want a larger pack. If you carry a lot of heavy stuff, you might want a stiffer pack with a framesheet and beefy waist belt. If you aren't carrying a lot of weight, then this is extra pack weight that you don't need.

Just pick a pack from a quality manufacturer. Some well known ones are Kelty, Mountainsmith, Camelbak, The North Face, Lowe, Jansport, Gregory, Dana Designs and Arc'teryx. LL Bean and REI also make quality packs that are available at their stores and online.

The one I chose in the end was the Mountainsmith Guide (pictured below). It had everything I wanted in a pack and things that I didn't know I wanted but have found useful, like an internal zipper pouch for PDA or CD player. I use it to carry my first aid kit and an internal panel with sleeves for batteries, pens, a notebook and a PDA. Also an internal clip for my car keys which is nice. I've been very happy with it.

mountainsmithguide.jpg

Edited by briansnat

I also use a Mountainsmith pack. The one I use is considered a lumbar pack and is just right for short urban hikes or day hikes out in the country. It has two small mesh pouches on the side that are used a lot. The pack rest in front so I can rifle through the pockets. It also features a shoulder strap that is helpful in keeping the pack in place and it helps distribute the pack weight.

44d886cc05b34555d13a204fe354890b.jpg

Edited by clearpath

When we first started, we had a rather large sized fanny pack, that whether we wore it in front, OR behind - caused major lower back pain.

I like to carry bottled water for me and the geodog during the summer, as well as a first aid kit and rain poncho. I also carry a digital camera for those terrific spots that deserve a picture as well as a lot of swag (for differnet sized caches..). A bag full of Cito bags and rubber gloves(ugh), brought us to upgrade to an LLBean backpack with outside meshed pockets and lots of inside and outside pockets for all my stuff. Far easier on the back and shoulders, and I am never caught short because I have had to leave something behind!

On one trip to the dollar store, I found a sling-type bag.

A pricier edition of a sling pack is the Maxpedition Versipack. The company makes the "tactical" grade pack, pouches, and gadgets. Lots of gee whiz attachments and whatnot.

Looks like unlike some sling packs it is designed to be brought around to the front to access your gear. They even make a leftie version "to keep you gun hand free."

Like I said, pricy, but should last forever.

I was just browsing Campmor's website and found a really nice Gregory daypack at a great price. Its one I had considered when I bought my Mountainsmith and it was $90 then. I don't know if its what you are looking for, but its hydration compatible, has side pockets and lash points and is a mid sized daypack at 1,900 ci. It's a bargain at its sale price of $39 If I didn't aready have 3 packs I'd jump on this one.

Gregory POW

99984_l.jpg

And a slightly smaller Gregory Bang pack for $29. Its hydration compatible too.

99985_l.jpg.

Edited by briansnat

Maxpedition makes some excellent gear. Cut the waist band off their fanny pack and use malice clips to make a superb replacement for the Army butt pack. Their canteen pouch has replaced the M-14 pouches on my H harness as utility pouches. If you are going afield (out of your car) for more than an hour, then a canteen is a good idea. How much water is enough? When two, one quart, canteens aren't enough, then a hydration pouch might be a good idea. Or switch to two quart canteens.

Packs. The ones with mesh pockets are good for day hikes of an hour or three on a trail. I find their fabric and stitching to be too light for extended field use and woods excursions. Keep an eye out for a Dutch Army surplus pack. There are some nice features on those that make them superior to the US Army small Alice pack in my opinion. A lift handle. Loops for alice or malice clips, heavy construction, etc.

I've used a fanny pack, that holds two 24 oz. jugs, and added some suspenders and it works fine under my normal pack, that carries a Unibottle 3 liters and other stuff.

3929c6f4-93ce-434c-9721-e8964e6ae2c2.jpg

Next year I'm planning on upgrading to a pack by Kelty known as the Apache. Coyote Red I wish to thank you for the link to mapexpedition, I may have to adjust my line of thought on what pack to get next year.

Edited by Tahosa and Sons

Outdoors Products makes an inexpensive line of camelbak knockoffs. Around $20 at Target. They look almost identical to camelbaks, are just as durable and cheap enough to outfit my whole clan with them for the price of 1 camelbak.

Mine is the "Ripcord" $18.95 http://www.outdoorproducts.com/proddetail.aspx?sku=4308OP a knockoff of the Camelbak "Mule" $80.00 http://www.camelbak.com/rec/cb_prod.cfm?ca...&product_id=345

works fine, lasts a long time.

When I discovered I didn't have enough butt to hold up a fannypack, I got a CamelBak H.A.W.G. military-grade. Been pretty happy.

Sissy, has a pack that can carry 3 times what I can.

Both of ours has compression straps to make the pack compact and not have everything in the bottom.

Problem with any backpack is you have to take it off to use it. Some folks ahve had good success with Vests Of Many Pockets. These are like photographer's vest or fishing vests. You can get to stuff without taking anything off.

A very good pack for geocaching. I won mine in a contest at my local outdoor store.

I also like to use my lowe alpine cold smoke 30.

900 cu. in. is a good amount of space for a geocaching pack.

I bought a fishing vest at WalMart last night that looks like it might work. It's mostly mesh, but it has lots of pockets, including 2 very large ones in front. It was mis-priced in the computer, and scanned at $2, which I didn't notice until I was already at home. I think this will replace my backpack.

I'm sure they're great for a day of urban caching, but where would you keep your water and lunch on longer hikes?

I was tired of using cheap small packs and my big REI pack, so I went to one of the big REI stores and tried on 15-20 day packs. I finally settled on the REI Whitney, which is a good day pack for me. That was 2 years ago. I see that it's still in stock but they've changed it a bit and the only colors now are red and blue.

A pack is just as much personal choice as a pair of boots--you're going to have to try out a bunch and find the one that fits you best. Take a couple of bricks with you for weight.

Good luck.

I use a Mountainsmith lumbar pack, about 1200 ci. They also make "Strapettes" that add shoulder straps to their lumbar packs. For longer hikes (10+ miles or overnight) I have their Bugaboo pack (2200 ci).

Off topic a bit: by combining the two (lumbar pack as an external pocket) I was able to do a 5 day climb on Grand Teton. It just takes planning and careful planning.

Features I look for in a daypack:

- plenty of room

- sternum strap

- waist strap

- water bottle holders on outside

- reinforced bottom

- must be inexpensive

There are often some good deals at Sierra Trading Post - last year's colors, closeouts, etc. It's an affordable way to buy high-end namebrands. I got a great deal on a Gregory Shakra pack last year and they currently have some Lowe daypacks at discount prices.

Happy shopping,

Bob

I'm sure they're great for a day of urban caching, but where would you keep your water and lunch on longer hikes?

There are no caches near me that require carrying food. A mile or so is a long trek here, and that's round trip. I have no need to carry much stuff, and if I decide to carry water a bottle will fit in one of the vest pockets, or I have a fanny pack with a hydration bladder.

Well the best way to pick out a pack is to load it up with what you are going to take, Just go to a real outdoors store REI ect and put your gear in an assortmant of packs and try them on to see which is most comfortable. Make sure what ever pack you select has a sturnum strap to keep the shoulder straps from sliding off. A waist band may or may not help much depending on the size of the pack. Most all packs have a lifetime warranty-most not all. As far as brands, don't worry about the brand, get one the fits.

Edit: As far as large fanny packs, I do not like them. I have tried quite a few having been in the outdoors gear industry for 30 years. I never found a large fanny pack that worked. I have tried them from Norht Face, Jan Sport, and Mountain Smith to name a few. If you get any weight into them they want to slide down.

Edited by JohnnyVegas
900 cu. in. is a good amount of space for a geocaching pack.

It all depends on the caches, area and season. As NightPilot mentioned, he chose a vest over a pack because most caches in his area are short walks. On the other hand, where I live you can string together 5-10+ mile hikes and bag several caches along the way. On longer hikes, especially in the winter, its foolish to go out without enough stuff to get you through the night should something happen, so much larger packs are required.

My Mountainsmith pack is 2,400 ci and I had it stuffed to the gills during our cache hunt this weekend. A 2 liter Platypus, lunch, a small thermos of coffee, a down vest, a packable water/windproof shell, wool hat, thick fleece pullover in addition to cache trade items and the staples such as first aid kit, fire starters, compass, etc... pretty much filled the the pack. In fact I could have done with a few hundred more ci as I really had to stuff things in to get it all to fit.

Amazing timing! I had just decided to change my pack arrangement and fought the holiday shopping crowds at Dicks. Couldn't make up my mind about what I wanted, so came home empty handed. You folks have given me some more ideas and options. I think I'm leaning toward a sling type of pack, but, I'm too cheap so will have to do some serious research to find what I want.

thanks!

I have two different packs for Geocaching. One is a book bag style back that I picked at Walmart for a couple of bucks, this pack works for about 70% of the caches that I find. Where there is only one cache where I am going and the walk a mile or less. For long range caches or locations where there are multiple caches in the park I and I will be there for the day I use a hydration pack. Which allows me to carry enough water and other stuff.

I don't think there is a one-size-fits-all answer to this. There are so many different areas, and so many different cachers, that there is something available for everyone, but nothing that fits everyone. About all I can suggest is to look around and get as many ideas as you can, and then buy something. When that doesn't work, go buy something else. That's the way I do it. :lol:

I use a large camelbak daypack for real hikes (after trying on all the daypacks at REI, it won) -- Mr.K-M carries the baby backpack so I get most of the gear. I use a small bag with shoulder strap (not a purse exactly, but not all that different) for shorter walks, but I've concluded that it's a pain because it swings around as I move/search.

So I've got one of those sling bags on my Christmas list, ~$25 from the REI outlet. http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/47894369.htm

ed: I agree with NightPilot that not everything is right for everybody. But you have to start somewhere, and once you use one thing for a while you figure out what you really want. :-)

Edited by Krauss-McClurg

Searching for the perfect caching bag is taking a fair bit of time for me...

In the past I've used a number of things:

The same Mountainsmith lumbar pack as Clearpath. It's o.k., but I find it kind of a pain to get in and out of easily... Often times if I'm slogging through underbrush or other x,y,z, I'll take what I need (GPS and pen) and leave the bag somewhere I know I'm coming back to and get it on my way back ot the car.

The Maxpedition Fat-Boy Versipack (hated it b/c the bag itself is too small for what I want to take with me, but the worst part was that the strap is SO FREAKIN' WIDE it causes me some serious grief. I gave this one away - the new owner uses it somewhat regularly and certainly doesn't b*tch about it like I did.

Random pockets in whatever I'm wearing (have dropped three cell-phones (two recovered, one... not) from those pockets.

For the most part I take the bare minimum (pen and GPS, and sometimes the compass) if I'm just going on a quick jaunt. Hopefully I always remember to bring my keys. (Yes, I've forgotten them and had to call a locksmith... suck!)

I do have an Eagle Creek bag that I carry as my 'handbag', but it's really rather large. (Too big for this grrl's handbag, really) At any given time I've got all my caching related gear, a camera, and other assorted goo (but none of that girly stuff) in it. Gets to be quite heavy, but if I'm only a few miles from the car, and the walk isn't strenuous (forest service road walking, for instance), it does the job o.k. Not cool or anything, but, eh. I have it on hand.

The caches I've been doing of late have involved a fair bit of hiking and this is where I'm starting to realize nothing I've got is going to work. I do have a military Camelbak M.U.L.E. Nice size, but wildly insufficient for a serious hike. At most I can get my waterproof rain jacket, extra socks, extra gloves, hand warmers, some food and very limited band-aidy type stuff (duct tape is all that matters, right?). I'm always amazed at what I can get IN the bag, but at something-less-than 700 cu. in. it's just not big enough and there is no where on that darn thing to attach things like trekking poles unless you do some creative lashing. Some place to strap a coat down, or carry a shovel would be nice too.

The M.U.L.E really just hurts like hell too, because the support, when weighted down is very minimal.

I have a nice Gregory pack that's 2400 cu. in. I intend to use as an overnighter (if I need to carry over 2400 cu. in., I'm pretty much screwed because I'm just not big enough to haul a many-multiples-of-10 lb pack), but for day-to-day cache stuff it's big-time overkill. I'm looking at getting one of the new Gregory daypacks called the Isis. It's hydration compatible which is a must... and I'd be able to carry a few more things on those longer hikes where I don't need overnight gear, but 700 cu. in. is a little too small...

If I need more gear, I've got the perfect solution... cache with someone better prepared (on most accounts) than you are. You should see the goods Criminal carries in his bag... if we die out there in the wilderness somewhere, our first finder would get some really cool stuff!

-=-

michelle

I do have a military Camelbak M.U.L.E.  Nice size, but wildly insufficient for a serious hike.  At most I can get my waterproof rain jacket, extra socks, extra gloves, hand warmers, some food and very limited band-aidy type stuff (duct tape is all that matters, right?).  I'm always amazed at what I can get IN the bag, but at something-less-than 700 cu. in.  it's just not big enough and there is no where on that darn thing to attach things like trekking poles unless you do some creative lashing.  Some place to strap a coat down, or carry a shovel would be nice too.

The M.U.L.E really just hurts like hell too, because the support, when weighted down is very minimal.

Bro. Zack,

This is an example that it is indeed a personal decision what kind of pack you get. I also have a military Camelbak MULE and love it. Agreed, it's not enough space for a serious, overnight, life-saving hike, but for our general climate it's great. I find mine to be comfy and pretty light when fully-loaded, and a real asset to have the water right there when needed.

Since most of my hikes are half-day at most, I carry a space blanket, a small scuba-style Princeton Tec LED flashlight, some misc. first aid items, a bottle of Aleve, a reflector/signal (read: old AOL cd) device, a few powerbars, and a few other items in one pocket, and an assortment of trade goods in the other, with a good bit of room to spare. If your activity is like mine, I'd recommend it!

Edit: I wouldn't mind a closer look at the HAWG version...

Edited by joefrog

The bag that I have been using for the past 2 years is a Yak Pak. This bag really has it all. It's perfect size for caching too. Big enough to carry your essentials

but small enough to take everywhere, this messenger-style bag is loaded with extras. With an exterior ID-card holder, on-strap cell phone case, interior dividers and zip pocket, flexible padded handle, 3M reflective tape. The top is a flap over so your items won't get wet either. And perfect for any size since the strap is adjustable. Check them out at www.geocachestore.com.