Ok ...

bongohutch

im in .... and downloading the cash cord's .. and they show up on my Garmin 76cs as waypoints ... how can i get them to show up as Geocashin "points"? My unit will compass me in if i can get them into the geocashing section. But by default they go into to waypoints section. Am i supposed to transfer them to the geocash .. or are they supposed to go auto?

Help?!?!?!

Is there a trick to the geocash websight?

I d/l the points .. but as stated they show as waypoints .. fine but i want to take advantage of the geocash feature.

Anyone??

thx

:lol:

Edited by bongohutch

The easiest way is if you're using Pocket Queries is to ask for GPX files instead of LOC. GPX comes with them already set as a geocache. GPX also has the added benefit of valuing your GPS's comment field with the cache's full name and owner (Not all GPS's have the comment field).

To change them, you can run them through the latest version of Easy GPS. Open the file, click on EDIT, then SELECT ALL. Move your pointer into the box with the waypoint list, right click, then click on EDIT WAYPOINTS. Select the geocache symbol in the pulldown menu, then click OK.

Then export the waypoints back to your GPS.

If you are using something other than EasyGPS you can do this:

-Take the LOC file and change it to GPX.

-Open it in Notepad.

- Click on EDIT then REPLACE.

- In the popup box put <sym>Waypoint</sym> in the FIND WHAT box and <sym>Geocache</sym> in the REPLACE WITH box.

- Click on REPLACE ALL.

-save it, then export it back to your GPS.

Edited by briansnat

Actually the solution is pretty easy.

If you just download the .LOC file, I believe it defaults to the generic marker symbol (i.e., the "dot").

You just have to change the waypoint symbol to the "geocache" icon. On my 60CS, it looks like a little yellow treasure box. You can do this en masse using a program like EasyGPS (I'm not familiar with Topographics)...or you can manually change them in your GPSr by pulling up the waypoint, scrolling up to the "dot" and then selecting the geocache waypoint. On my 60CS, it's under the Outdoors icon group, but I'm not sure if your 76CS is any different in that regard.

Once you have identified any of the waypoints as geocaches, you can use the geocache function to your full benefit.

The easiest way is if you're using Pocket Queries is to ask for GPX files instead of LOC. GPX comes with them already set as a geocache. GPX also has the added benefit of valuing your GPS's comment field with the cache's full name and owner (Not all GPS's have the comment field).

To change them, you can run them through the latest version of Easy GPS. Open the file, click on EDIT, then SELECT ALL. Move your pointer into the box with the waypoint list, right click, then click on EDIT WAYPOINTS. Select the geocache symbol in the pulldown menu, then click OK.

Then export the waypoints back to your GPS.

If you are using something other than EasyGPS you can do this:

-Take the LOC file and change it to GPX.

-Open it in Notepad.

- Click on EDIT then REPLACE.

- In the popup box put <sym>Waypoint</sym> in the FIND WHAT box and <sym>Geocache</sym> in the REPLACE WITH box.

- Click on REPLACE ALL.

-save it, then export it back to your GPS.

Was tremoundously helpful .. ty Sir

found my first and moving on.

Thank You again