Pocket Query - Location & Search

spyder8

I went looking for "pocket query" on the main site,

and had a hard time finding it, as nothing is really linked to the page.

It's hidden away under / My Cache Page / Member Features /

not real obvious -

Anyway - next puzzle - is the last line of the PQ description -

How to run a PQ on the "search page" ?

I'm trying to get the GPX info for loading into the Nextel / Trimble Outdoors GPS application - to more easily identify the caches & their URLs.

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/TripViewFra...asp?TripID=1156

--

How Pocket Queries Work

Due to the complexity of Pocket Queries, a dedicated machine processes them in batches throughout the day.

The order they run is based on the last time the query ran last. Priority goes to new queries first, and the others run in the order of the oldest generated. So if you have a query run once a week it will arrive on that day much faster than someone who runs the query every day. It is recommended that you stagger your queries. Or even better, create new queries only when you need them.

If you don't need the files for your GPS or PocketPC, you can also run your Pocket Queries on the search page. This is also a great way to ensure that your Pocket Queries are returning the results you want.

Shortcut: http://www.geocaching.com/pocket

What Jeremy is actually saying is that you can "test run" the PQ without getting the e-mail of the GPX sent to you. Go back to the Pocket Query Page and click "Preview" next to the PQ. You'll see the results, but the results won't (and can't) be in GPX format. You can download 20 at a time in LOC format.

It's not really the "search" page - it's the PQ main page.

The real nice thing about that is that you can set you PQ to NOT run on any days, test out the results to make sure you're getting what you expect (by running the preview) and also check to make sure you're not getting 500 caches (the upper limit) unless you mean to. Then once the PQ is working as expected, click it to run on today's weekday. You should get it fairly quickly if it's a new PQ and you haven't had your 5 e-mails done already for the day.

Edited by Markwell