Help Needed From A Scottish And Paris Cacher

ToolkiT

I was watching the davinci code doco. last night and it gave me an idea for a great monster multi cache which spans many locations.

I was thinking of making a multi which uses the locations from the book (like The Louvre, Temple Church ,Westminster Abbey, Rosslyn Chapel etc) as waypoints.

So I need a person in Paris to help me, I can do the London locations, and need a schots(wo)man to do the one at rosslyn chapel.

This one obviously will be a hard one which requires a bit of effort, but I think that should be part of the fun too.

Also I was thinking of intergrating a 'cryptex' TB which holds part of the clues or a decription key..

Does anybody want to volunteer?

Any idea's/suggestions?

Yes, I volunteer. I offered to help a Paris-based cacher who posted on here with the same idea over a year ago, but nothing came of it. I have been thinking about placing a cache in the glen near Rosslyn chapel anyway, as it is a super location, but it would be much better if the cache were to be linked to a multi based on the book. There was a cache near the chapel, but it was muggled and has been archived, and the cacher who placed it does not seem to be active any more.

Edited by Firth of Forth

I am looking forward to finding the holy grail in a cache! <_<

Excellent program last night. Rosslyn chapel is a fabulous spot and I am all in favour of a cache, or anything, which encourages people to visit it. I am far to far away to volunteer to help though.

There is an excellent article on the book and whole holy blood, holy grail thing in the most recent Fortean Times, written by a good pal of mine, as it happens!

I will donate you a signed copy of the Templar Conspiracy (or what ever it's called) by Picknett and Prince as a cache prize, as it's pants!!, oops, I mean 'highly suitable'.

Great idea! A hoax cache, complete with encrypted clue on genuine fake medieval parchment - sort of like a locationless, but only for the really gullible.

When you find the cache, check out the swap items - there won't be a grain of truth in it... :blink:

ssst, you are spoiling the surprize <_<

I'm still thinking of what would be a suitable container..

If we are going to add books, we may have to make it fairly large..

It is quite a big book and hardback too. Large Hornet style ammo can I think.

Interestingly, last time I was at Rosslyn, we were able to walk along the scaffolding and view the works in progress. Up on the roof there was a small pinnacle topped with a pyramid. On close inspection, bees were seen coming and going through a hole in the middle of one of the faces of the pyramid. It seems that this was purposefully creasted to be hollow and with a handy hole to be a purpose built bee hive. Fabulous, yet weird!

BTW, don't forget to encorporate the apprentice pillar into the cache puzzle! <_<

Time I visited Scotland again, I think

Hi, I might just have a contact for you. Some friends live in Paris (or very close by) They have had a stab at Geocaching and if you knew what you wanted I am sure they would be happy to help. Let me know and I will contact them and ask,

That would be much appreciated!

Do they own a GPS?

OK, I have been really really slack on this one.. :D

As a matter of fact it had totally slipped my mind till today when I walked past temple church in London.

If people are still interested in a monster davinci code cache which spans 3 countries (France, England, Schotland) please let me know..

you think its a good idea? they had problems in italy from idiots crushing stuff in some churches involved there.. now you want to send them all over the world? if you like to give people another reason (dont say that cachers were stupid, but anyway) to go after these sites and "look arounnd", you are not only going to give chachers a bad reputation..

i cant really tell you what church it was, i had only read the book, but its where is something under a strut. people where actually going there with HAMMERS?!?! and messed up a church that is hundreds of years old..

please, in respect of ancient buildings, dont do this..

you think its a good idea? they had problems in italy from idiots crushing stuff in some churches involved there.. now you want to send them all over the world? if you like to give people another reason (dont say that cachers were stupid, but anyway) to go after these sites and "look arounnd", you are not only going to give chachers a bad reputation..

i cant really tell you what church it was, i had only read the book, but its where is something under a strut. people where actually going there with HAMMERS?!?! and messed up a church that is hundreds of years old..

My idea is to make it a multi with virtuals exept for the final cache so no risk for any buildings..

I'd like to get some more info on your hammer story, I have never ever heard of a cacher attacking a church with a hammer to get a cache.. are you sure it is not an urban legend?

What makes you think any cache is hidden inside an ancient building? Looking at your stats (0 Found) it appears you could do with some hands-on experience of geocaching.

I too would like to see the facts behind your hammer story. :D

(Note to self: Don't forget to put hammer in caching bag :D:D )

What makes you think any cache is hidden inside an ancient building? Looking at your stats (0 Found) it appears you could do with some hands-on experience of geocaching.

I too would like to see the facts behind your hammer story. :D

(Note to self: Don't forget to put hammer in caching bag :D:D )

mmm kind of reminds me of this thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=144117

did i say this hammer-events had to do with geocaching? it was just blunt idiots "trying to solve the puzzle".

it was in the newspapers. cant really find an online-article about it. the one i read, stated that some guy(s) actually destroyed the floor of a church with a hammer to find something that was supposed (the dan brown book said so) to be hidden underneath. somewhere in rome. if you are proficient in italian you might find the story. i am not.

my statistics dont have nothing to do with this. but the "hammer in the bag" made even me laugh.. maybe i should log the one i tried to find without a gpsr.. then at least its one DNF to calm you. but my gpsr should arrive this or next week, then hopefully my finds go up a bit.. :laughing: i am not the one with the archeogical sites.

did i say this hammer-events had to do with geocaching? it was just blunt idiots "trying to solve the puzzle".

it was in the newspapers. cant really find an online-article about it. the one i read, stated that some guy(s) actually destroyed the floor of a church with a hammer to find something that was supposed (the dan brown book said so) to be hidden underneath. somewhere in rome. if you are proficient in italian you might find the story. i am not.

my statistics dont have nothing to do with this. but the "hammer in the bag" made even me laugh.. maybe i should log the one i tried to find without a gpsr.. then at least its one DNF to calm you. but my gpsr should arrive this or next week, then hopefully my finds go up a bit.. :laughing: i am not the one with the archeogical sites.

I believe, and this is purely from the memory of a documentary about a year ago, that the church in question was one of the many reputed to have the grail buried under its flagstones. The damage had been done by very many grail hunters over many many years, and has nothing to do with either caching or even the Dan Brown book. I also imagine that the church is slightly more protective of its stonework now!

Needless to say, a cache is not going to be in the church (trees are bad enough!) and no cacher is going to go hammering at ancient buildings... most don;t carry a hammer for a start. As toolkit said, its most likely going to be a virtual stage anyway.