Ftf Or Be Damned

:laughing: Hi everyone,

Please don't throw a rotten tomato or missunderstand but can one person's drive to be the FTF dampen the fun for everyone else? Don't get me wrong, if you have the time, there is a lot of fun to be FTF on a new cache. Even we have a few out of 200+ finds but there is a fellow cacher in our area that can work and cache 24/7(at the same time). He is FTF on about 90% + new caches within 50 miles. There are probably 50 or 60 cachers in the area but it takes an act of God to beat Mr. FTF. Everyone plays different and with some the stats are the most important part of the game. That's ok. To each his own. But, what is your opinion on letting the game become an obsession to the point of shutting everyone else out? Thanks :rolleyes:

Edited by Konnarock Kid & Marge

In my area, there's about three of us who generally are to a new cache within the first day, it's generally a race. One of the guys has been caching for maybe 3 years, while myself, and the other guy, have only been caching for exactly a year. We all manage to get an equal number of FTF's usually.

We like to play games with eachothers heads though, but it's all in good fun.

I'd seriously email your guy and maybe politely ask him to step down and let some other people have fun?

There are some people that are just highly competitive and it makes their day to think that they beat everyone else at something. I will admit that we sent out to try and get a couple of FTFs but we didn't make it. Didn't up set me at all and we joked that we would have to get moving a lot faster for the next one. If there are wham-o FTF prizes I would probably be one of those types that could get obsessed with trying to be first. The fun of it is just finding the cache, and after going to Yuma with the sadist hiders out there, that feeling has been given new meaning. :laughing: I guess if you want to be FTF, you'll need to get a wireless laptop and refresh the pages every 15 mins or so and be ready to roll. :rolleyes:

There are some people that are just highly competitive and it makes their day to think that they beat everyone else at something.

I think it is a mistake to assume that this why cachers go for FTF.

We are one of the FTF "obsessors" around here, and I assure you I do not go caching at all hours of the day just so I can feel better than someone else.

It is a challenge and it is fun.

For all of you that keep getting beat to the FTF, let me ask you this:

If you had the time to go caching whenever you wanted, and were FTF on a lot of local caches, would you honestly "sit back" and wait for someone else to find it first? Honestly??

Everyone has an equal and fair shot at being FTF.

Sounds like a bit of sour grapes, IMHO.

There are some people that are just highly competitive and it makes their day to think that they beat everyone else at something.

We are one of the FTF "obsessors" around here, and I assure you I do not go caching at all hours of the day just so I can feel better than someone else.

It is a challenge and it is fun.

For all of you that keep getting beat to the FTF, let me ask you this:

If you had the time to go caching whenever you wanted, and were FTF on a lot of local caches, would you honestly "sit back" and wait for someone else to find it first? Honestly??

Everyone has an equal and fair shot at being FTF.

Sounds like a bit of sour grapes, IMHO.

I know of one cacher in my area who has the time and ability to have himself and two other people out there at all hours of day and night.

But he doesn't.

Recently, he just sits back, and waits for the first couple finders, or he waits a couple days, he only goes for FTF anymore if he really feels it's necessary.

wait, wait... let me try to understand this.

you want a guy to sit back and let other people FF? what's the point? why do you want a FF? to get there first? well then, how meaningful is it if you beat someone who isn't trying?

"congratulations. you have won a race. now we want you to sandbag all your other races"

excuse me? management of the patriots? we've decided it's not as much fun for the other teams if you win too many superbowls. could you please tank next season. we'll let you know when it's your turn.

MY fun is increased when i know i really have to race to get the FF. sometimes i get beat. that's how it goes.

An experienced geocacher, like the person Team K9 is describing, can pick and choose their FTF opportunities if they are not obsessed. When an FTF may be "necessary" is a situation where there's something odd about the hide. ("Someone figured out a way to put a cache THERE? I've got to check that out.") Or a puzzle that nobody else can solve. Or a hide with bad coordinates that nobody can find.

For six months I did the same thing, splitting the FTF's in Southwestern PA largely with this one other experienced cacher. After I became the volunteer reviewer for this area, I pretty much quit chasing after FTF's, so as not to attract criticism and to give others the chance to enjoy the fun.

I swear I used to feel like people would wait to seek out a cache until either Cacher A or Cacher B had found it, so they knew the cache worked. I was happy to be the guinea pig. It was an extra challenge, finding caches 85 feet from the posted coordinates. Nowadays there is a new group, including Team K9, who enjoys doing the same thing. Only nobody waits very long anymore!

To each his own. But, what is your opinion on letting the game become an obsession to the point of shutting everyone else out? Thanks :laughing:

Im not sure what you mean by shutting everyone out.

You mean keeping anyone else from being the first, by finding them all yourself? If those that could be the FTF don't bother to look, then whoever does find it may not think it such a great feat because it was no race or anything to get there.

I don't really care if someone is always the first there, since I think this is often (except maybe very difficult caches) related to either A, they weren't busy and had the time to hunt as soon as the info was available or B, have a schedule thats flexiable so they can put off whatever would make them busy till later. If it falls right I'll try to be the first, if it comes differently, someone else is, no big deal.

The thing that would bug me, is if the first to find was being what I consider rude. Posting long blabby logs glotting how super good they are, or changing the cache to make it easiler for those to follow.

As one who could care less about FTF, I will admit it's occasionally fun to beat one of the "regulars" to a cache (nudging CT Trampers). Could I do it more often? Sure. If I wanted to run out at 1am in the rain, or get up before dawn on a weekday, I could.

I don't. I'm not racing.

I don't care about the numbers, and for some people FTF are the "numbers" they count. I can't help but notice 2 things about the OP.

First, they are retired, and presumably better able to rush out at all hours of the day and night then many cachers who must work and/or take care of a family.

Second, they make a point of listing every FTF on their profile, so obviously competing for FTF is something they like.

You are competing in a race with other people.

You are keeping score.

How much fun is it to win a race if everyone else sits on the side and lets you win?

Did you really even win the race if nobody else is playing?

Sounds like sour grapes to me too.

...can one person's drive to be the FTF dampen the fun for everyone else?

No--your fun is not predicated by someone else's activities.

If it is, there are more significant issues that have nothing to do with geocaching!

OTOH, I try to leave a 2nd-finder prize if I'm first. You could also improve your FTF attempt techniques and start beating this other--which would increase the excitement for all.

(Which is what happened here, a year ago I was a predominant first-finder, now there are two to my West, two to my North, two to my North-east and one to my East! With nothing to my South as that's LI Sound...)

It's VERY rare a cache goes 18 hours without being found and have sometimes been found in minutes. (Not counting several before-approval finds!)

So you can either stop measuring fun against an external standard (which offers the greatest life benefits) or increase your FTF efforts and find superficial rewards in geocaching.

Either way...

Best wishes,

Randy

excuse me? management of the patriots? we've decided it's not as much fun for the other teams if you win too many superbowls. could you please tank next season. we'll let you know when it's your turn.

Shut! Up!

That is not *even* funny, flask. Don't joke about that.

I guess it coulda been worse...you coulda used the Red Sox in your example. Double Dynasties in the making!!

Oh, and I have a couple of FTF (helps living inside the city so that suburbanites are less likely to beat you during the week). I know it's rough when I even try to FTF on a cache and there's already a signature in the book...but it's not like most caches are chocked full of goodies like a Garmin contest....so for the most part it's a stat badge of honor to get most FTFs. My thinking is simply if you want that badge of honor, you have to earn it...if that means having even more free time to sit and reload a cache listing or two then those are the requirements for that badge of honor...

Being 2nd or 3rd or even 10th to find a cache out of the 40-50 people that will find any given cache on average isn't too bad at all.

I don't normally go after FTFs. I only have one, and will be happy with my one FTF if I never get another.

In regards to the OP, I'd say that on the other end of the spectrum, but using similar logic, would be the hypothetical case of somebody who got upset because they wanted to be the ONLY finder of a cache, ever. In that instance, Mr. OnlyFind would appreciate it if the other cachers in the area would adjust their style of playing the game so as to give him a chance of keeping the 'only' title. :laughing:

I would object to this as much as I would object to somebody asking me to back off my quest for FTFs (if I had such a quest). In both cases, somebody is asking for others to adjust their style of hunting for and logging finds to suit their own wishes.

I would never object to somebody working harder than me, or having more time than me, or just plain being luckier than me, in landing all the FTFs in my area. If it bothered me I'd work harder, or find more time, or figure out a way to improve my luck.

I certainly didn't mean that everyone is like that and that is why I said "some" and not "all". I am a very competitive person and I would like to be FTF but I don't obsess over it. Now, if my brother-in-laws ever decided to take up the hobby, they are the type that would strive to be FTF on every new one in order to feel like they've one-upped someone else. Family reunions can be so "fun" because of the attitude.

In my early days of Geocaching in 2001, I had a lot of FTF because I wanted to log the cache before a group came in and Hid it so no one else could find it. They no longer do that so now I would just as soon someone else be the "beta tester" for the new cache. Too many times the coordinates were out in the middle of the bay. Dick, W7WT

Recently, he just sits back, and waits for the first couple finders, or he waits a couple days, he only goes for FTF anymore if he really feels it's necessary.

What would make it necessary?

If it's extremely challenging and people have logged DNF's or it's just been a while, he usually tries for it.

I have been known to get a few FTFs in my area, at all hours of the day. What can I say, I'm retired, I have found most of the caches that are close to were I am. If I see a new cache pop up that is not to far from home I am going to get it. Why should I stay home. On more than one occasion I have run across another cacher that was also trying for the FTF, once at 2AM.

Also, there are times when trying to find a cache before anyone else, you get to be the first person to deal with a bad coordinates or in the case of the time I met another cacher at 2AM, the cache was missing because the brother of the person that hid the cache thought it would be fun to steal it. FTFinders perform a service by finding problems with caches that the cache owners ca fix in a timely manner, so that the 3rd, 4th 5th and so on finders do not have to deal with.

Maybe a FTF hound should be called a New Cache Inspector NCI :laughing:

IMHO, i just keep reminding myself that those pesky trigger-happy FTFers are either college students, the 20- or 30-something college grad that is jobless and still living at home, or the retired or otherwise unemployed and not attending school.

Although i would LOVE to be a FTF, i keep telling myself that there is something that drives them to be the FTF and NOT driving them to work or school!

I bust my hump everyday - work 30+hrs/week, go to school almost full time (including weekends), and have a VERY high maintanance geohubby to care for! After driving 2 hours from school & work (1 each way), i reallt dont have the energy for the FTF race.

I'm just waiting in the shadows, though................

eventually the squirrel gets the nut first! (oh, that's right, i did when i said i do)

I recently placed a puzzle cache and updated the cache page to reveal the puzzle at 5 pm on on a Friday. I wanted everyone to have a reasonable chance to log a FTF. It turns out all the usual suspects made the find hours later after hiking through snow drifts in the dark. I appreciate the effort those folks put in to find the cache and I really enjoy reading their logs. However, the best logs (for me) are when people describe how excited their kids are to find the cache.

I let the First Time Finders do what they do best and spend my geocaching time putting caches in places that are worth visiting even if you have no interest in signing a log book. Many people play the game for different reasons, just do a good job placing the cache and let everyone know what they are looking for.

For six months I did the same thing, splitting the FTF's in Southwestern PA largely with this one other experienced cacher. After I became the volunteer reviewer for this area, I pretty much quit chasing after FTF's, so as not to attract criticism and to give others the chance to enjoy the fun.

I swear I used to feel like people would wait to seek out a cache until either Cacher A or Cacher B had found it, so they knew the cache worked. I was happy to be the guinea pig. It was an extra challenge, finding caches 85 feet from the posted coordinates. Nowadays there is a new group, including Team K9, who enjoys doing the same thing. Only nobody waits very long anymore!

As someone who's lost a few FTFs to you, I will say I've noticed that you aren't out there before the cache even cools off any more! <G> But seriously, some of us have more free time than others do - I've amassed an inordinate percentage of FTFs simply because of my work schedule. I work a 24 hour shift followed by 48 hours off. I've currently got about 314 finds, I think, and something like 59 FTFs. That's almost 20% of my finds that are FTFs!! (Beat that, all you competetive types!) <G> But after I found all the caches in about a 30 mile radius of me, any time a new one appears within that perimeter, it stands out. I've got the free time, and I like caching. If I can hit one or two that are close to me on my way out to the boonies, so much the better.

Move to my neck of the woods! In the Yukon, our caches normally go anywhere from a few months to a few years before an FTF. I still have three that haven't been found, the oldest going on six months. You could come up here and bag 4-5, if you've got a month or so to spend doing it! :angry:

Regards,

Anthony

IMHO, i just keep reminding myself that those pesky trigger-happy FTFers are either college students, the 20- or 30-something college grad that is jobless and still living at home, or the retired or otherwise unemployed and not attending school.

Not true!! How about an early riser? Miles Stone is an early bird. Always has been, probably always will. He's often out there caching before dawn even when there's no FTF, it's just his time of day. Me, I'd rather sleep in and try my luck a little later. And Miles is not retired, he has a demanding job, he just does it before work if he can.

We've gotten comments on our own caches when they came out, that people are relieved that he can't be FTF on his own cache. :angry:

We have an avid FTFer in my area, that I have met at an event, and she is really a Sweetheart.

I really didn't care about FTFin, but now I'm having fun with it, just trying to get one up on her.

I finally did get a FTF the other day, and at the cache, in the log book, I left a note, for her saying I beat her to it.

I knew she was coming.

When I came home to log it, well somehow she beat me to it, and left me a note, letting me know she beat me to logging it.

WAY TOO MUCH FUN!

I guess I'm going after the next one that pops up, because now I have to be first to log also! Then I'll finally have one up on her.

All in the game!

Is there a place to post/log your FTF's?

NO, and really does it matter then?

This game is so much fun, and still people will bltch.

1signature2zl.jpg

Move to my neck of the woods! In the Yukon, our caches normally go anywhere from a few months to a few years before an FTF.

You don't even have to go to the Yukon. In NJ many of my caches go 3-4 days before the FTF.

can one person's drive to be the FTF dampen the fun for everyone else

No. If I were into FTFs, it would add to the fun for me. It would make it a challenge to beat that person.

I take a serendipitious approach to it, if I happen to be FTF on a cache, great.....and if not, then okay too. There are so many facets and ways to enjoy yourself with this hobby that I am really surprised at how many people worry so much about how other people participate. Cache how you like to cache. If you like to be FTF, then go for it, if you like high numbers, go for it, if you like to do caches that are real challenges, they are there, go for them, if you like doing lampost micros, then do them, if you like virtuals, fine, do them, but quit griping about what someone else enjoys. The thing is, is is all geocaching, and we can all participate the way we enjoy it best and are capable of doing....and to me, that is one of the best parts of it.

:angry: Hi everyone,

Please don't throw a rotten tomato or missunderstand but can one person's drive to be the FTF dampen the fun for everyone else? Don't get me wrong, if you have the time, there is a lot of fun to be FTF on a new cache. Even we have a few out of 200+ finds but there is a fellow cacher in our area that can work and cache 24/7(at the same time). He is FTF on about 90% + new caches within 50 miles. There are probably 50 or 60 cachers in the area but it takes an act of God to beat Mr. FTF. Everyone plays different and with some the stats are the most important part of the game. That's ok. To each his own. But, what is your opinion on letting the game become an obsession to the point of shutting everyone else out? Thanks :lol:

If it's bothering you that much than you are taking the game too seriously. Caching is still fun regardless if you are FTF. I think you have to ask yourself why it matters to you soo much.

I can't help but notice 2 things about the OP.

First, they are retired, and presumably better able to rush out at all hours of the day and night then many cachers who must work and/or take care of a family.

Second, they make a point of listing every FTF on their profile, so obviously competing for FTF is something they like.

You are competing in a race with other people.

You are keeping score.

How much fun is it to win a race if everyone else sits on the side and lets you win?

Did you really even win the race if nobody else is playing?

Well said.

But, what is your opinion on letting the game become an obsession to the point of shutting everyone else out?

Assuming FTFs were very important to me, I'd try to become even more obsessed and figure out how I can beat them at thier own game.

As someone that truly enjoys finding FTFs, I'll elaborate. In some aspects, Geocaching is the "poor' mans way of exploring. The big "firsts" in exploration have been accomplished (i.e. North Pole, South Pole, etc.). Even if there are more of these out there, I can't afford the cost or the time. A FTF is one of the ultimate unknowns in caching (i.e. the coordinates could be wrong; the ratings could be inappropriate). In short, its a challenge.

We all make choices in life. If FTFs are that important to you, you will get them.

As always, enjoy the adveture! MS :lostsignal:

I used to care about being FTF, but during the summer last year I got about 30 FTFs, because I obviously had no classes and I worked at night. I think I was FTF on just about every new cache in my area. After that I became bored with being the first and just quit trying. I'll still grab some if they're close by or I was planning on caching anyway, but anymore I only go out of my way if it's a really hard cache. Where I am now I've even seen some of the FTF racers get disgruntled and accuse other of having "inside information" or something like that when they get beaten. That's just pathetic.

I was just the FTF on two caches yesterday and the owner said he'd put the name of the FTF in the cache description so they'd feel recognized. I added this to my log: "PS: Please don't put my name in the description. I didn't do anything that warrants being recognized. :lostsignal:" I think that says it all. My suggestion is to just get over it, because being FTF means absolutely nothing.

I can understand both point of views here. Being in the area of the original poster of the thread, I can relate to their feelings. For the new cachers it's great to have the feeling of accomplishment of a ftf. Only 1 person can be the ftf and at least with me there is a great sense of pride and accomplishment on those rare occasions I make it.

I had 2 ftf this weekend and they were 100+ miles from my hometown. Travelling outside my area is the only way I feel I will get a ftf. Unless I hit the road in the am hours. I did that once when I saw a new cache in the area to beat our typical mr. ftf to the cache. At 2 am I was ran off by the local cops who advised me the area was closed and drilled me with questions as to why I was there. While our mr ftf (due to his employeer / company vehicle / resources) could have gone in there at any time of day.

There are even some that are so eager to get a ftf they have e-mailed me about an underwater virtual that I have that hasn't been found yet. Scuba gear is required for this cache and they do not have the appropriate training nor gear. What point has it came to when you put yourself at an elevated risk of injury or even death to become a ftf?

I will add that I have much respect for our mr. ftf. He is quite a cacher and there's much opportunity for others to be a ftf with the numerous caches he leaves during his work time. On the other hand, I would love the chance to be the ftf on a local level.

I can understand both point of views here. Being in the area of the original poster of the thread, I can relate to their feelings. For the new cachers it's great to have the feeling of accomplishment of a ftf. Only 1 person can be the ftf and at least with me there is a great sense of pride and accomplishment on those rare occasions I make it.

Would you feel the same sense of pride and accomplishment if you knew that all the usual "FTF hogs" let you be first the find?

How would you feel if you beat Lance Armstrong in a bike race?

Would you feel the same sense of pride and accomplishment if you knew the only reason you beat him is he pulled over and let you beat him?

They both sound like hollow victories to me.

To us, being an FTF is a nice bonus but (literally!) not worth loosing sleep over! We hunt for the fun of hunting, not the numbers and not the FTF-jolly.

Of course, it depends on the prize for the FTF!! If there is a new geo-coin out there in the new cache for the FTF, then we may re-route the day's errands or schedule! :D

On the other side, it is fun to put a nice prize for the FTF in our caches; we have been known to put gift certificates to nearby coffee-shops/restaurants for the FTF, and that does increase competition; a good way to encourage others to compete with a known FTF-hound in the area.

For example, when a new high-tech 18-screen movie theater opened, we hustled over, bought several $5 gift certs, put a new cache in the parking lot with a free movie gift cert (partly to compensate for it being a 'light-pole micro' and then went and saw 'Phantom of the Opera' -- altogether a very productive and enjoyable evening! :D Sure enough, by the next day, 4 people had logged the new cache and the FTF-folks had driven over 50 miles to get it, not just because of the FTF -- they have a lot of those already -- but to check out the fancy new movie optics! :lostsignal:

So, do what you want and what you can and don't lose any sleep over FTF's -- won or lost, yours or others!

FTFinders perform a service by finding problems with caches that the cache owners ca fix in a timely manner, so that the 3rd, 4th 5th and so on finders do not have to deal with.

I'll agree with JV on that point. It's happened on one of my caches too, where the "cache holder" fell apart before JV could get there. By the way JV, "Juanita's Landing" should be easier to find now, it's magnetic. Thanks to CooperPhoto for letting me know it needed work.

Get up earlier or go out later. Simple.

Or spend less time in the forums

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

Around my area we have our regular FTF cacher. He's a great guy. When I showed up at a newly listed cache and he was already there he insisted we list it as co-FTF.

Last Saturday night after logging a couple of new hides that my wife and I did we saw a new cache pop up. Since the kids were already in bed and asleep my wife looked at me and said go grab your flashlight and go get it! I grabbed it, but it wasn't for the prestige of being FTF, it was for the fun of poking around a cemetary, in the rain, at night, (all for a rubber duck)!

Semper Fi

I'll admit that there is a certain thrill to be the FTF. I have a few, but I don't track them.

But to asking people to hold off and let others get a FTF just doesn't make sense to me. If someone isn't fast enough to get the FTF, that just means they need to be lucky and quick to beat their competition.

FTF earn the bragging rights to their find. Holding back to let others get the FTF, IMO cheapens the find. On the same note, someone who consistently finds the cache over and over, may be a bit over obsessive about this HOBBY.

Sounds a bit like sore grapes to me. I'm a 40+ yr old and I've got about 10 ftf to my credit. Not because I sit and wait on them to pop up I'm just lucky with my work schedule.

I have the ability to surf the internet while working and when I get off I'm usually armed and ready to go. So I do.

Good luck getting your ftf. It's not about who's first, it's about the hunt.

You have to be quick to get an FTF around here! I love it! OldBoyHiker is all over a cache anywhere in Central Alabama, with maybe 5 other cachers close on his heels!

This is friendly informal competition and nobody really cares who wins - I don't know anyone that brags about, or even mentions, outside of a conversation like this, their FTF count. OBH surely wouldn't. However, we all talk about the fun we have chasing FTFs whether we get it or not!

I have 11 FTFs out of 1005 geocaches, and thouroughly enjoyed each one!

The ones I really enjoy? Sprinting for the FTF only to find that OBH or Jeff35080 or another cacher had beat me, signed the log but didn't post it to the cache page yet! Sometimes they will wait on the STF to log it before he spoils the surprise. I love this! Too funny! Get to the cache - wohoo! FTF! Open it and...it's been logged! Oh well, get up earlier next time!

Interestingly, only rarely will one of the actve FTF chasers around here take the FTF prize!

We recently had a geocacher commit geocide (archived his caches, quit the game) because another active cacher WOULDN'T LET HIM BE FTF! Sorry, but see ya! If you're not having fun you need to go! If you can't compete, think about how you might change your ways so that you can! Or, if, like me, you can't run a 4-minute mile (I have one leg), why would you try? Beat yourself up over something you can't do? Silly - go enjoy the things you CAN do!

Have fun,

Ed