Need Cobra Gps 1000 Recommendations

newtonian

Am new to this geocaching sport and have been on a few enjoyable finds with others.

Have an opportunity to pick up a Cobra GPS 1000 DLX on sale and need some recommendations. I haven't been able to find out much about it's performance online.

Any recommendations welcome. Is it reliable, accurate, durable etc???

From an internet site:

GPS1000: This handheld GPS receiver finds your location by tracking up to 12 GPS satellites simultaneously for better signal acquisition. Accelerated Satellite Acquisition Protocpl II technology (ASAP II) gets you up and running faster, and offers better reception in urban areas, canyons and dense foliage.

Built-in basemaps: The built-in 4MB memory is pre-programmed with basemaps for hundreds of worldwide cities, continental U.S. state boundaries and highways, Canadian provincial boundaries and European country boundaries.

Memory/downloads: Increase your mapping detail by downloading detailed street-level maps from the included Rand McNally® StreetFinder® software on the 32MB SD memory card.

Selectable data fields: Choose up to ten fields to display on the LCD to check your location and directions including, average speed, bearing, compass, distance to destination and more.

Waypoints: Store up to 20 routes, 500 waypoints and 2,000 track-points to easily find your way back again.

Power management: Runs for 14 hours on two AA batteries.

Backlit display and keypad: Easily see your location and route in low light conditions.

I know nothing about this model, but I'll offer this observation.

Nearly everyone that uses this site either uses a Garmin or a Magellan. If you have problems with either of those brands, you will get lots of help here.

Also, you are unlikely to have many problems with either of those brands.

There's not much info because no one uses them. There not really worth the money you save.

Someone is sure to tell you how bad they are and tell you to buy what they have.

All I can say is that the Cobra is not supported by most of the waypoint management programs that Geocachers use. If you have any chance of expanding your Geocaching hobby you will want to buy a GPSr that is compatible. One that many other cachers have and can share tips with you.

I've only heard maybe one or 2 people say they LIKED a Cobra GPS, but I've heard PLENTY of COMPLAINTS. You want a recommendation? Stay away from Cobra.

Garmin and Magellan both make fine units. Although there are a couple from each of them I'd personally avoid as well. A couple of things I consider essential--- A PC interface, and "standard" batteries (no special battery packs) between them, that eliminates the entire Magellan Explorist line.....as well as a couple Garmin units.

We bought the Garmin Legend and Venture and both are going back to REI. Started with the base model and thought the mapping feature would be good to have. Didn't realize it cost $100 for the software and that hardly seemed worth it for a one time upload of the Boston area. We were also set back by the higher models operation -- told us go 75 feet north then 120 feet south, then 200 feet north etc. to reach programmed destination. Very frustrating. Base model Garmin was much more accurate. We used them side by side for awhile and were surprised at the differences.

Have seen mixed reviews for the Cobra on this site, and none for the 1000 model. It's onsale for half price ($150) but the store has a user unfriendly return policy; so it's important to seek recomendations. The price is OK, it's great that it comes with software but I'm not sure how detailed it is (teaser base version maybe?) and i've found very little about it's operation online.

We like the Garmin, but were set back by the price of the mapping software and the unreliable directions the unit gave us. Our children really enjoyed finding the caches, and navigating along the highway with the Garmin. Very undecided what to do.....

Edited by newtonian
Didn't realize it cost $100 for the software and that hardly seemed worth it for a one time upload of the Boston area.

You might be able to find a better deal for the softwar in e-bay. But both Garmin charge about the same for their software.

We were also set back by the higher models operation -- told us go 75 feet north then 120 feet south, then 200 feet north etc. to reach programmed destination. Very frustrating.

If you are in a city full tall buildings this can be caused by multi pathing, GPS signel bouncing off of the buildings throught of the signal and upsets the timming

thus affecting the signals accuracy, it can also happen if you are next to a cliff..

Edit to add.

If you order through the US mail they are required to give you a full refund bt federal law.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

I've used a Cobra 500 for a little more then a year now. I've logged about 175 finds with it including a half dozen or so FTF's. It was my first GPS so I really had nothing to compare it to. I've recently upgraded to a Garmin 60C, including the $100 City Select software.

The Cobra works just fine for this game. However it does have its drawbacks (of course so does the Garmin, like price for one!). I can't believe how much easier it is to do this with the Garmin - it's almost too easy! The Cobra made the game more challenging for sure. I can't really say if that is a good thing or a bad thing. I guess part of the answer depends on just what YOU want out of this. I think I may be a better cacher because I started with the Cobra. But who's to say.

If I were to give you my own personal recommendation (which I guess is exactly what I am doing here) then I would suggest that if you receive a Cobra as I gift (as I did) then use it and enjoy it. It is capable of getting the job done. However, if you are looking to purchase, then I believe you would probably be better served with a low end Garmin or Magellan over a higher end Cobra. I reflect on the time I spent with my Cobra with fondness. But I'm really glad to have moved on.

There are not many people here who have much good to say about Cobra GPSes. Here are some forum threads that discuss the Cobra.

Whith the great, cheap units sold by Magellan, Garmin and Lowrance I'm not sure why anyone would buy a Cobra with all the negative experiences people have had with them.

We were also set back by the higher models operation -- told us go 75 feet north then 120 feet south, then 200 feet north etc. to reach programmed destination. Very frustrating. Base model Garmin was much more accurate.

Sounds like a defective unit to me...unless you were in an area with a lot of signal bounce. If you're getting bounce it doesn't matter what brand you have because all units will behave oddly to a degree.

Edited by briansnat

To answer the area question above, it was in wooded trails about 10 miles outside of Boston. One Garmin received reliable signals, the other sent us on a wild goose chase bringing us back to areas we had been in and sending us the other direction. Operation, use and displays were matching beteen the units.

To answer the area question above, it was in wooded trails about 10 miles outside of Boston. One Garmin received reliable signals, the other sent us on a wild goose chase bringing us back to areas we had been in and sending us the other direction. Operation, use and displays were matching beteen the units.

Sounds like a defective unit then. The two eTrex's have the same antenna and similar processors. Or one unit could be affecting the other.

I think after reading some of the other post on the Cobras, I would buy something like the Garmin Legend. They can be had for about the same price. Then save up and buy the mapping software. Maybe you could buy something used from Ebay or other sources. Also maybe someone in your area would have the software for there gps and you could see it before you buy.

Good Luck

and have FUN

XT

ps: I have a Rino 120 and the topo software and would not have a problem recomending it. I also cache with 2 others that have the same.

Edited by xt

Garmins don't average their signal the same way Magellan does. This is good in some ways and bad inothers. Garmins will bounce you around more in the woods. Magellans tend to be more stable. The price for the Magellan averaging (that keeps them more stable in the woods) is that they don't respond as fast to changing condtions and at least on some models you suffer from the boomerang effect (you have to experience it).

Even with a Magellan you will bounce around in the woods, you will just do it slower than the Garmin guy will.

Worthless information that won't help you choose a GPS. If woods is a critical thing for you get a GPS with a Quad Helix Antanea.

You might try using them in an area with an open view of the sky, this would eliminate the possibility of obstructions being the problem. If the problem still persisted then my guess is that the unit is defective.

The Garmin Legend has been used by a great number of GEO cachers with great success. With any product a bad one can get through the manufacturing process from time to time.

As far as your Garmin issue. The first 60CS I bought had problems maintaining a good signal. The end result was that it would send you all over the place because by the time it updated the position you were already somewhere else. Happily Garming replaced the unit under warranty and I have had no problems since (except for my inability to find caches rated 1).

:(