Groundspeak Forums: Converting .loc-files? - Groundspeak Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Converting .loc-files?

#1 Guest_clindh_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 11 September 2001 - 06:55 PM

The EasyGPS download is a great feature. The problem is; I do not want to use EasyGPS - I use OziExplorer (www.oziexplorer.com).
I found no Export function in EasyGPS.
Does anyone know the internal format, or a tool that can convert .loc-files to something textbased like Waypoint+ (which most GPS tools can import)?

#2 Guest_ClayJar_*

Posted 11 September 2001 - 09:34 PM

The times I've needed to transfer waypoints/routes from one non-interoperating program to another, I've just uploaded them to my receiver and then downloaded them into the other program. I see no reason why that shouldn't work for you, but if you really want a conversion program, it's not hard to write one. (I'd probably gladly do it for you if you send me a fully licensed copy of whatever software you want to convert to and possibly a filespec if it's not public knowledge.)

Oh FYI, the downloaded .loc's are XML text, so anyone with any prgramming experience should be able to discern the format. For example:
quote:
< ![CDATA[Ralph & Kacoo Fans Red River Cache by Bear & Green Thumb]]>geocachehttp://www.geocachin...ils.asp?ID=2763

[This message has been edited by ClayJar (edited 12 September 2001).]

#3 Guest_clindh_*

Posted 11 September 2001 - 10:51 PM

Yes, transfering trough the GPS works - just cumbersome.

As for .loc being XML; mine aren't! They are in a binary format, with a header that reads "TerraByte Location File Copyright 2001 TopoGrafix". Are you running the free or pay version?

#4 Guest_ClayJar_*

Posted 11 September 2001 - 11:58 PM

The download feature at geocaching.com uses the XML flavor .loc files. I'm not sure if EasyGPS will save them in the binary .loc format if you edit them, but I know they come from the server as XML text.

#5 Guest_topografix_*

Posted 12 September 2001 - 03:14 AM

EasyGPS doesn't have an export function. Our other two products, PanTerra and ExpertGPS do. You can download either of them at http://www.topografix.com/download.asp

------------------
Dan Foster
TopoGrafix: GPS Software, Waypoints, and Maps
http://www.topografix.com

#6 Guest_clindh_*

Posted 12 September 2001 - 03:22 AM

Ah, I see! I did not look at the file until I had saved it using EasyGPS (which converted it to the binary format).

The XML format works fine for me, I now have a XSL stylesheet that transform it into an OziExplorer file. Thanks everyone.

#7 Guest_hgmonaro_*

Posted 12 September 2001 - 10:52 AM

I have a similar dilema which I might be able to apply this technique, but if you've already got a EasyGPS .loc file saved with waypoints, etc and want to ADD some more by downloading, how is that achieved? Every time I try it starts a new file and there doesn't seem to be a copy'n'paste function to join the two files. Any hints?

#8 Guest_ClayJar_*

Posted 12 September 2001 - 08:19 PM

• Download the new set of waypoints.
  • Click "Open" and load the existing file.
  • Resize the two files' windows so that both are visible (Window|Tile, for example).
  • Drag your new waypoints from the one file to the other.

#9 Guest_hgmonaro_*

Posted 13 September 2001 - 10:08 AM

ahh!

ta!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic