Garmin Usb Drivers

I am wondering if anyone knows another place to download the USB drivers for the 60 series, specifically the GPS 60. I have already tried the download on Garmin's website and both EasyGPS and GSAK are saying I don't have the proper drivers to connect. I did get a disk with my unit which had some transfer program which was lame, and I never used, but it is since missing and after a full reboot I am needing the drivers again. This was working before the reboot, so I am sure it is the drivers that are messing it all up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:laughing: The USB driver file should already be on your computer. If you remember, you had to put these files on your system BEFORE connecting your 60C to the USB port. I would suggest you START>SETTINGS>CONTROL PANEL>ADD/REMOVE HARDWARE ...... next ..... Try troubleshooting hardware first. If that does not work remove/uninstall the 60C and then when you connect it again with the USB it should go into its add new hardware routine. ImpalaBob

I should have been more specific. When I said full reboot I mean the computer was wiped clean and a new OS was loaded onto it. So that wiped out any old drivers I might have had from before. Also I can cause the computer to go through the new hardware wizard, but lack the drivers when it asks for them. Thanks for the quick response, I appreciate it. Any other ideas?

IF I understand you correctly ..... you have gone to the Garmin site, downloaded the latest file with USB drivers, executed the file to install it on your system, connected your Garmin 60 by USB cable and it opened the found new hardware wizard ..... and you were not able to direct the wizard to the Garmin directory where the drivers are located ..... otherwize the wizard will only look in the microsoft directory of drivers. I would suggest you contact Garmin tech support directly by phone because it sounds like you are doing everything correctly.

REMEMBER because of registry issues you MUST have the drivers loaded before USB connection of the 60C so the connection wizard can find them. Not sure but I think the 60C should also be communicating correctly before EasyGPS or GSAK are loaded.

I used to use EasyGPS to download .loc files from geocaching.com and then upload waypoints to my Garmin Map 60C using USB. It worked just fine.

Recently with the newest 6.5 Garmin MapSource Program software release, I now download .gpx files from geocaching.com (Premium Member feature) and open them in MapSource. By having 2 versions of MapSource open I can open with 1 and then copy & paste into the other until I have all my .gpx waypoints in one copy. I then can edit or catagorize all of them and re-save the waypoints for future use or upload to the 60C from MapSource. I can plan an entire days "route" in MapSource for geocaching...... detailed driving directions and all!

B) ImpalaBob

For starters EASYGPS does NOT support USB, unless they have resently fixed that.

cheers

When setting up EasyGPS in "preferences", and you select GARMIN products (at lease 60CS) , there is a connection box " Port Settings"... In bottom left hand corner is also a check box... "Use USB".... EasyGPS version 1.3.7

Dale

Edited by Dale_Lynn

Ok Impala Bob, I think I get what you are saying...this is exactly what I did. But.....I may have connected the 60 before retreiving the drivers the very first time I did this and I fear the registy as you said is now causing issues. How would I go about going back to the drawing board and redoing all of this from scratch. As in what all do I need to erase. Thanks for all the help.

For starters EASYGPS does NOT support USB, unless they have resently fixed that.

cheers

Mine does. Its V1.3.7.

I had a hard time with the drivers dowloaded from Garmin's website, but once I found the CD that came with the unit I was able to install the driver. I never could figure out why the driver from the website wouldn't work.

First off I would advise you to call Garmin tech support and ask for help. You have paid for it in the price of the product!

Try checking the C:\WINNT\Windows Updqate.log file and see what happened on the date you tried the install .... look for SUCCESS ???

Try uninstalling the Garmin Hardware and re-installing it before messing with the registry. Start>settings>control panel>add/remove hardware.

I have messed with the registry files when I got into trouble with a HP Printer Fax Copier update .... but am not knowledegable enough to give you guidance.

:D ImpalaBob