This Guy Stole 156 Travel Bugs.

If your tb disappeared in Colorado, it might be in this guy's hands. :D

Remorser's Profile

He has no finds, and 156 tbs. All have been posted today. It looks like they all have disappeared from Colorado at some point.

I randomly looked at some of the logs. Most of the ones I saw simply said "ihaveit' but I did find this one as well.

i have this travel bug tag ( along with 165 others just like it). when i first saw geocaching i thought it would be fun to locate and steal travel bugs. i now know that this is wrong and i intend to release this bug back into a cache in the near future. all i can do now is ask for forgivness and say that i am sorry

It was posted in the logs for This tb (Fart Bob)

I hope that he is sincere about putting them all back into circulation.

Edited by Team Tayjam
I hope that he is sincere about putting them all back into circulation. What a jerk.

Calling him a jerk in a public forum probably won't help matters.

It is also against forum guidelines. :D

Thanks for the information, but there was a better way to post it.

(Should have taken the high road.)

Stealing that many travel bugs should be considered Grand Larceny, since that represents a lot of money -- not individually -- but collectively those are worth more than $1000.00 -- not counting the item the tag is attached to, and anything else that went into the release of the bug.

I only hope the guy is truly remorseful and will either release the bugs into caches, or give the owners a chance to get them back.

If he had mine, I think I'd send him a self-addressed-stamped-padded envelope and have him mail it back to me . . .

My one and only travel bug still hasn't been logged into the cache it was supposedly placed in, so I'm a bit touchy on the subject of Travel Bug's that have gone missing right now. :D

I hope that he is sincere about putting them all back into circulation.  What a jerk.

Calling him a jerk in a public forum probably won't help matters.

It is also against forum guidelines. :D

Thanks for the information, but there was a better way to post it.

(Should have taken the high road.)

Sorry. I didn't realize I was violating the forum guidelines. You are correct about taking the high road. I went back and edited my original post. Of course you quoted me saying he was a jerk and then I quoted you quoting me saying he was a jerk and right now I'm saying I probably shouldn't have called him a jerk. So, I'm not sure how much good it did to edit my post.

This person has obviously created a new profile from which to claim his exploits. A person is unlikely to be able to 'steal' 156 TBs in one day if you just started. He's been at this for some time, working up to his 'announcement.' GC.com will likely have some additional background info on the dude and can tell him to return the items in the proper way, or ????? Is this just limited to Colorado?

Can anyone confirm that he physically has the bugs? It would probably be pretty easy to go through the TB gallery and find bugs where the tracking number is visible and falsely claim the bug.

Perhaps it's time for a bug dispersion event.

Jamie

Of course you quoted me saying he was a jerk and then I quoted you quoting me saying he was a jerk and right now I'm saying I probably shouldn't have called him a jerk. So, I'm not sure how much good it did to edit my post.

Seems to be a lot of jerking around tonight. :D:D

It's also possible this guy was just randomly entering tag numbers until he found ones that were in Colorado. I even noticed a few he grabbed out of the TB Graveyard. Many appear to have been missing a few months.

Of course that could also mean he's been physically grabbing them for months and finally got around to logging them :D

Hmm the plot thickens. I just looked at the history of a few of the bugs. Several whole caches disappeared shortly after the bugs were placed in them. This guy may be more than a TB thief :D

And the more everyone talks about it the more attention this person gets which is what they want in the first place.

Stop talking about it and ignore it. Wait for monday when the Groundspeak office opens. Let them handle it if there is anything that can be done.

Don't feed the trolls!

I was just browsing the list of TBs that this guy claims to have. Just on the first page of TBs, of the caches they were last in, 5 caches were MIA and 5 were deactivated by the owner because of vandalism. One TB was found vandalized (Aaron's White VWTB #1). It's hard to make accusations where there's no proof, but where there's smoke there's sometimes fire. I think maybe this [expletive deleted] Remorser, if he is behind the TB theft, is also vandalising/stealing the caches as well. Just my US$.02.

:grin: OK, I'm tenacious, I admit it. Just went through the entire list of TBs this person claims to have. Found 32 missing caches, 15 caches vandalized (some of them archived, some of them repaired/replaced by owner), many posts by owners of missing TBs, multiple TBs missing from single caches, and caches being found at different locations. Also, Remorser has grabbed several TBs from the TB Graveyard after their owners buried them there.

The guy wrote the following;

i now know that this is wrong and i intend to release this bug back into a cache in the near future. all i can do now is ask for forgivness and say that i am sorry

Why not let the guy return the bugs like he said he would? He apologized and asked to be forgiven. Name calling and making vague suggestions he might be stealing caches too will not help the situation.

I kinda doubt after stealing this many bugs that he decided to change his ways on his own. I bet his mom found a box of strange little trinkets all with matching metal tags in his closet and made him explain what they were and why he had them.

If your tb disappeared in Colorado, it might be in this guy's hands.  :grin:

Remorser's Profile

He has no finds, and 156 tbs.  All have been posted today.  It looks like they all have disappeared from Colorado at some point. 

I randomly looked at some of the logs.  Most of the ones I saw simply said "ihaveit' but I did find this one as well. 

i have this travel bug tag ( along with 165 others just like it). when i first saw geocaching i thought it would be fun to locate and steal travel bugs. i now know that this is wrong and i intend to release this bug back into a cache in the near future. all i can do now is ask for forgivness and say that i am sorry

I hope that he is sincere about that also. When did he tell you that he was going to put them all back into circulation? Did he give you any particular time frame?

"remorser

"Current GOAL: To Fart on every Continent. Or as many places as possible.

About this item:

My son who owns, wants to get Fart Bob the stinky bandit to explore the world and meet new people. Take pictures and post them so he can see his travels."

Nice, real nice.

Oh I get it, never mind.

Edited by Team cotati697

That's a lot of work. The only reason to do that much work is for recognition. Other wise they would just be invisible and given no regard. This way the pathetic nature of hoarding barbie dolls for personal gratification purposes can come to light. They would have been better off being invisible.

This is what happens when dorks go bad. They go from dork, to pathetic dork dweeb. After having had problems for a year I've come to realize that it's a substiute for social interaction apparently due to ineptitude in that arena. It's quite funny once you stop and think about it. Then it's just sad.

Edited by Renegade Knight

:P I emailed him (assuming the account email is valid) and offered to redistribute them at Geowoodstock III on behalf of Today's Cacher.

Ideally, he sends them to me, I take them to FL, and they get back into circulation.

I'm not trying to usurp Groundspeak's authority, just trying to help. :grin:

Well I might as well add my two cents worth on this subject. I had a total of twelve TB's stolen from my Centennial Bug House in two raids. The second time the container, logs all T/B's and other assorted trade items were all stolen. I found remanents ( a couple pencils) in a nearby trash can. Also one of my personal bugs went AWOL from Mondos Bug Hotel near DIA.

All these are on his list. I sent him an E-mail offering to send him a mailer to recover my Travel Bug if he does not wish to release it to another cache. I was going to establlish another bug House Cache, but I am going to wait and see if any of these 156 T/B's are released.

In my opinion, all we can do is keep things positive and try to get our Bugs released into circulation. All the salty remarks will only deter this objective.

:grin: OK, I'm tenacious, I admit it. Just went through the entire list of TBs this person claims to have. Found 32 missing caches, 15 caches vandalized (some of them archived, some of them repaired/replaced by owner), many posts by owners of missing TBs, multiple TBs missing from single caches, and caches being found at different locations. Also, Remorser has grabbed several TBs from the TB Graveyard after their owners buried them there.

I not sure what you're implying. He's obviously been doing this for quite a while. Of course there are going to be plundered and repaired caches. That's going to be true of any large group of caches over time.

As for graveyard retrievals, if the owner place them their, and he intended to return them to active caches, he has to grab them from the graveyard.

His initial actions were bad enough. There's no need to invent new ones.

:grin:  OK, I'm tenacious, I admit it.  Just went through the entire list of TBs this person claims to have.  Found 32 missing caches, 15 caches vandalized (some of them archived, some of them repaired/replaced by owner), many posts by owners of missing TBs, multiple TBs missing from single caches, and caches being found at different locations.  Also, Remorser has grabbed several TBs from the TB Graveyard after their owners buried them there.

I not sure what you're implying. He's obviously been doing this for quite a while. Of course there are going to be plundered and repaired caches. That's going to be true of any large group of caches over time.

As for graveyard retrievals, if the owner place them their, and he intended to return them to active caches, he has to grab them from the graveyard.

The point is this: there is a link between the trashed cache statistics (i.e., specific events of trashing) and the associated TB's being in this person's posession so it isn't a stretch to assume cause and effect / that this person was responsible. This scenario is repeated over and over if one takes the time to go through the spedcific TB logs. In addition, regarding the TB graveyard, my TB (which I placed there after it was taken from a trashed Denver-area cache - and presumed gone forever) is now in the stolen inventory....an easy thing for someone to do if they have physical posession of the TB....they have the ID number just as I do.

:grin:  OK, I'm tenacious, I admit it.  Just went through the entire list of TBs this person claims to have.  Found 32 missing caches, 15 caches vandalized (some of them archived, some of them repaired/replaced by owner), many posts by owners of missing TBs, multiple TBs missing from single caches, and caches being found at different locations.  Also, Remorser has grabbed several TBs from the TB Graveyard after their owners buried them there.

The point is this: there is a link between the trashed cache statistics (i.e., specific events of trashing) and the associated TB's being in this person's posession so it isn't a stretch to assume cause and effect / that this person was responsible. This scenario is repeated over and over if one takes the time to go through the spedcific TB logs. In addition, regarding the TB graveyard, my TB (which I placed there after it was taken from a trashed Denver-area cache - and presumed gone forever) is now in the stolen inventory....an easy thing for someone to do if they have physical posession of the TB....they have the ID number just as I do.

I hope geocaching.com contact the members who's TB's are listed. I had a Geocoin in one of the caches that went missing but it didn't come up on the list of logged TB's.

:P I emailed him (assuming the account email is valid) and offered to redistribute them at Geowoodstock III on behalf of Today's Cacher.

Ideally, he sends them to me, I take them to FL, and they get back into circulation.

I'm not trying to usurp Groundspeak's authority, just trying to help. :grin:

That's the most positive thing out of this whole topic yet.

I also e-mailed the person and explained there was of course bitterness towards them for what they had done but I looked up to them for doing the right thing. Many travel bugs may just be some McToy but some of them are something that might be sentimental.

I have a tb that's a fan pull with a butterfly at the end. It was to have been a b-day gift for my mother who passed away the week before her b-day. I've sat and look at thae butterfly for quite some time and I released it as a travel bug in her memory. Now I can see the miles that Soaring Sherry has logged and she still gets to travel across this great world.

We've got to give them credit for doing the right thing in the end.

If your tb disappeared in Colorado, it might be in this guy's hands. :(

Remorser's Profile

He has no finds, and 156 tbs. All have been posted today. It looks like they all have disappeared from Colorado at some point.

I randomly looked at some of the logs. Most of the ones I saw simply said "ihaveit' but I did find this one as well.

:D Everybody needs a hobby!

:D A question for those of you who have really looked at the list: how many were taken from TB Hotels/Motels? I realize that with this kind of thief ,with or without TB Hotels , would not make a difference but it makes it harder on TB swipers if we don't stiuff them in one place. Sorry, I hate TB Hotels/Motels. Too many have gone missing along with a lot of good geocachers TB fun. :(

P.S. Is there any way that a study can be done to show how many TBs have gone bye, bye via TB Hotels/Motels? Or for you statisticians, what is the probability of having a TB go missing in a regular cache versus a TB Hotel/Motel? :D

Edited by Konnarock Kid & Marge

Forgive me but what is a TB graveyard?

Site on GC.com where you can log in lost TBs

Examples:

GC72A8 Travel Bug Graveyard

GCH8F6 Austrian TB Graveyard

GCD653 UK Travel Bug Graveyard

There are other country/regional graveyards beyond those I listed, but you get the picture - a virtual cache that someone has established specifically to serve as a drop point for TBs that have gone missing and are presumed "dead". If the TB owner wants, they can use these caches to give their poor lost bug a formal "burial".

Travelbug graveyards have bogus coordinates usually thousands of miles away. When you log your lost TB into one of those, all that mileage gets added. If the TB happens to resurface down the road, the mileage on the TB is all out of whack because of it's journey to and from the TB graveyard.

If you, instead, mark the bug as missing, it will be listed as being in an unknown location. This doesn't add any mileage to the TB and if it resurfaces later, it can continue its journey with the correct mileage.

It would be good for congress to pass a federal law, making it a crime to take travel bugs from a geocache and holding on to it for more than 30 days.

And cache owners should get 3 days in the stockade for leaving a bug listed in their caches when it has been gone for over a month. And add 20 lashes if it's been gone over a year. And if it's been gone over two years...

The point is this: there is a link between the trashed cache statistics (i.e., specific events of trashing) and the associated TB's being in this person's posession so it isn't a stretch to assume cause and effect / that this person was responsible.

You can't possibly know if there's a statistical link, unless you have an analysis of how long ALL caches last in the field. I think "gut feeling" is a better description than "statistical link". And I'm sure your gut feeling isn't at all influences by the fact that one of your tbugs is on the list.

Remember, 87% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

The point is this:  there is a link between the trashed cache statistics (i.e., specific events of trashing) and the associated TB's being in this person's posession so it isn't a stretch to assume cause and effect  / that this person was responsible.

You can't possibly know if there's a statistical link, unless you have an analysis of how long ALL caches last in the field. I think "gut feeling" is a better description than "statistical link". And I'm sure your gut feeling isn't at all influences by the fact that one of your tbugs is on the list.

Remember, 87% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Put another way, my reference to cache statistics was simply that a cache has been raided (or found to be raided) on a specific date (that's the statistic I was referring to). The TB's are gone. In case after case those specific TB's appear to be in this person's possession. Given those details it's not a stretch to believe that it's likely (gut feeling if you like) that this person was responsible. The same goes for the issue of removals from the TB Graveyard. Semantics aside, hopefully this issue will have a positive outcome soon.