Mapsend Directroute Cd Error

Is anyone else getting the "There is no appropriate MapSend DirectRoute NA CD-ROM in drive D:\. Insert CD labeled Data_DRNA_100a and Press "Retry" to continue." error message when starting DirectRoute? I've reinstalled the software several times ... it doesn't matter whether it's a full or typical install.

I'm using Win XP SP2 with the DirectRoute v1.02a patch downloaded from Magellan. Another machine does not have SP2, but has the same problem. I've seen in other forums where DirectRoute has had problems with some CD drive manufacturers. No one I've talked to has a list of "bad" manufacturers. Magellan Tech Support tells me to re-download the patch. :D

Appreciate any help/thoughts.

Have similiar problem with Mapsend DirectRoute version 2.00f(patch won't work- for older version). Using Windows XP with service pkg 2 and have 2 diffirent DVD drives and program won't start with data cd in either drive. Reinstalled program and still have problem of getting program to run - it does nothing when I click on shortcut icon or try to start from start menu. Found only way to start program is to reboot. Don't have same problem with Mapsend Topo 3D. Magellan support is near worthless. Still waiting on responce for defective data cable from them.

Edited by Buckskins
Is anyone else getting the "There is no appropriate MapSend DirectRoute NA CD-ROM in drive D:\. Insert CD labeled Data_DRNA_100a and Press "Retry" to continue." error message when starting DirectRoute? I've reinstalled the software several times ... it doesn't matter whether it's a full or typical install.

That's not a "problem," that's how it's supposed to start. It's necessary to insert the CD every time you use the software. As long as the program opens with the CD in the drive, it's working as designed.

Now we can argue how irritating this is, but that's beside the point.

Jamie

Is anyone else getting the "There is no appropriate MapSend DirectRoute NA CD-ROM in drive D:\.  Insert CD labeled Data_DRNA_100a and Press "Retry" to continue." error message when starting DirectRoute?  I've reinstalled the software several times ... it doesn't matter whether it's a full or typical install.

That's not a "problem," that's how it's supposed to start. It's necessary to insert the CD every time you use the software. As long as the program opens with the CD in the drive, it's working as designed.

Now we can argue how irritating this is, but that's beside the point.

Jamie

Will have to check, but I believe on the full install of DirectRoute, the CD is not needed. I don't think it's like Topo 3D. Doesn't matter though as we get the same result with or without the CD in the drive. As previously stated, I think it's a conflict between the CD/DVD drive and DirectRoute.

Appreciate some thoughts on how to best work this ...

CD is required in DVD/CD drive for both MapSend DirectRoute and MapSend Topo 3D to operate program. Problem with DirectRoute it is hard for me to get program to run. Uninstalled and reinstalled this morning again with my 2nd drive, maybe it will work this time. It always works after you reboot but after a while using the computer it stops working - conflict somewhere.

I wish Delorme Topo would work with Explorist, it is much better Topo program than the Magellan Topo 3D.

Will have to check, but I believe on the full install of DirectRoute, the CD is not needed. I don't think it's like Topo 3D. Doesn't matter though as we get the same result with or without the CD in the drive. As previously stated, I think it's a conflict between the CD/DVD drive and DirectRoute.

Appreciate some thoughts on how to best work this ...

Oh, there's no question that Jamie's right on this point. The CD-in-the-drive requirement for DR and T3D are pretty effective copy-protection schemes. To my knowledge, no one has been able to duplicate CDs that will serve that function. While I find it maddening, after seeing a recent pirated offering of nearly every MapSend product on eBay for $29.95, I can't entirely begrudge Magellan's efforts to protect their property.

Jamie's suggestion is the only known way to get around it. I think a search in the Yahoo Meridian Users group on "editor" would get you there, but be prepared to repeat the search a number of times as Yahoo only lets one search a section of the archives at a time.

Jamie: kudos on the close read of the OP.

yes theres a way to backup your CDs. I've done it. Even have the image loading on a virtual drive. There's another post where someone stated that just hex editing a file in the install directory will bypass this cd check. Very annoying to have to always use the original CD.

Team Tigerz to get back to your problem. Mapsend DR uses some non-conventional copyprotection scheme. Not getting too much into the how it works, suffice to say that I've read that certain model CD/DVD rom drives will not be able to read the protection scheme and thus the program thinks you do not have a valid CD in the drive. One thing you can try is a different CDrom(no need to re-install the program) or maybe someone can PM you the method of bypassing the CD check as I do not have that info.