Eneloop battery question

Have been reading a bunch of good info after doing a search. One question still thought. These batteries hold a charge for a long time. Only a 15 percent loss over a year shelf life.

However, if they are put in a GPS or Camera or anything else and the device was turned off and not used for some time do they still last that long? Or being that they are touching metal contacts inside the device will the charge be leeched off?

Kind of curious about that. Any info or personal observations?

I'm trying some "RayoVac Hybrid" batteries which use similar technology as the Eneloops. They are pretty cheap at Wallyworld (be sure to get the $5 rebate on the charger combo). I have a pair on their first charge on the shelf with only a smallest drop in level after 4 weeks . My old Energizers began to die, having terrible shelf-life problems, after 9 months. Also, keeping batteries in the unit when it is off uses essentially no power.

Edited by jacksan

I got some of the Rayovac hybrids and I am extremely happy with them so far. I used them straight out of the package for about a month before the first charge. I use them in my GPS and a digi-cam.

As far as I can tell, you can leave them in the device without any noticeable drop. Now if it were a few months or more I wouldn't know, I use my gadgets at least a few times a week.

Just measured my 60CS and it draws roughly 1.5mA when off. This comes out to 'only' 2 months to run fully charged Eneloops/Hybrids to zero. I'm suprised it's this high...a RTC chip (real-time-clock) only needs .2mA to run.

So, yes. Remove the batteries when not in use for a long time.

Just measured my 60CS and it draws roughly 1.5mA when off. This comes out to 'only' 2 months to run fully charged Eneloops/Hybrids to zero. I'm suprised it's this high...a RTC chip (real-time-clock) only needs .2mA to run.

Thanks for that info. That is what I was looking for. You have a good point there about removing the batteries.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

I seemed to remember that the 60CS, had a chip in it that kept track of ambient pressure, time, and alarm functions when turned off, so that is why the older 60CS drew a bit from the batteries. The newer X-models like the 60CSx, does not have that chip, but just a cheaper clock chip, that has no alarm functions, or a way to measure ambient pressure with the Unit turned off, so I believe that the batteries would last longer in an x-model in the off state, so with the older 60CS, you can leave the batteries out of it, when not in use for awhile. This is an issue with my older Map76S, black n white version, that the batteries where always run down even when not in use, and when I turned the 76S back on, I noticed it kept a pressure trend when OFF.

Edited by GOT GPS?