What's a Magnetic Keysafe?

Hoping to look for two caches in the Aberdeen area before I go offshore on Thursday, one of which is a magnetic keysafe. As I have never come across such a thing I was wondering if someone could give me some pointers as what to look for.

Cheers,

RD

It's a small (usually black) plastic box about the size of a matchbox where you are encouraged to leave a spare key somewhere safe in case you lose your main keys. They are usually magnetic so they can be stuck somehwere out of sight. The problem with using them as a cache is that they are not waterproof.

Most magnetic key safes that I have seen are rectangular boxes with a sliding lid. Approx.3/8" x 2" x 3.5" (H,W,D) The base is a large rectangular magnet to stick it to a steel gate or drainpipe etc. Main problem is they are not in the least waterproof so the log is normally in a plastic bag which makes it too thick to fit in the box so it gets torn and the log gets wet.

The magnet that comes supplied with these isn't the strongest one in the world either!

Agree with that. They are pretty poor, but at two for a dollar in the Dollar Store they can be a cheap and cheerful cache container.

I paint mine the same green as the electrical switch boxes that are outside a lot of the houses in the town I live in. There is a three inch lip just above street level. Keeps them dry and they are a bugger to spot until you have done a couple, then of course they stick out like a sore thumb once you know what to look for.

a.

Hoping to look for two caches in the Aberdeen area before I go offshore on Thursday, one of which is a magnetic keysafe. As I have never come across such a thing I was wondering if someone could give me some pointers as what to look for.

Cheers,

RD

I take it when you say you're going offshore you're going to work on a North Sea oil rig?

If so, why not place a key safe cache on it - I'm sure you'll find a bit of metal to attached it to. ;)

Now, how do us muggles get on to your oil rig for the tick??? B)

The type/brand shown in the photo is particularly slim. I once had a cache to find (I forget where) which turned out to be one of those on the bottom of a railing in the centre of a busy Traffic Island come odd shape roundabout in a town centre. The railing was around a set of locked steps which were probably the relic of a Victorian Public Loo. Once spotted it called for a couple of Shoe tying instances combined with retreating to a bench to write the log. :o

I've found some very wet ones of these too, but in the right location, they're fine. Not over water (a tap with a fingertip can dislodge them) and not being rained on. They're probably easier to blend into a location than a 35mm micro too; they can be positioned to look like a bracket on railings, for example.

How was Aberdeen (I've been. It was raining. You couldn't tell where the grey sky finished and the grey buildings began) and did you find the caches? :o