New States

Hurrah! Thank you Groundspeak for eventually getting there!

I wonder if the GAGB would be willing to host the Map that the reviewers and their "helper" used to draw up the areas?

I'll also see about using a certain event in August to publisise the feature, as existing caches will need to be amended to show their "state".

EDIT: Hmm, seems a bit buggy right now, hope that's sorted.

Edited by Jaz666

...And on UK caches :rolleyes::rolleyes:<_< !!

Thanks, for listening and acting Groundspeak (eventually :rolleyes: )

p.s. All my caches have now been updated with the correct region

Added mine but it isn't working. Using advanced search just brings up the frog.

How do you add it to PQ's?

Philip

Wouldn't you believe it, I go to have a look and the sites down :rolleyes: . Seems I've got a template to write to nudge people to add them :rolleyes:

I'd like to thank the developers for implementing this but most of all, I'd like to give a big thanks to Miss Jenn who behind the scenes has pushed extremely hard on our behalf to get it implemented.

Miss Jenn your a star :)<_< Thank You

Another big thank you must go to the person who worked with the UK & Ireland reviewers to produce the Google Earth Map. Please stand up and take a well deserved round of applause :rolleyes:

OK, so it's working for us, but is there a map to show us where each region actually is? We're down in Wiltshire that sometimes is classed as the South West, sometimes South and even Midlands! No wonder we get confused! :rolleyes:

Perhaps when the link from cache pages 'Country Map ( http://www.geocaching.com/map/uk.asp )' finds a target that may answer your question ... but as yet it brings up the '404 Unavailable page'

Cache On!

Paul

OK, so it's working for us, but is there a map to show us where each region actually is? We're down in Wiltshire that sometimes is classed as the South West, sometimes South and even Midlands! No wonder we get confused! :rolleyes:

Perhaps when the link from cache pages 'Country Map ( http://www.geocaching.com/map/uk.asp )' finds a target that may answer your question ... but as yet it brings up the '404 Unavailable page'

Cache On!

Paul

Thanks for that, there I was thinking I'd be clever and get all of ours updated before the hoards of workers get home and jam the system up trying to do theirs. I'll just have to be patient, not my best quality!

Edited by Lydford Locators

There is a Google Earth overlay showing the boundaries. I've lost the link to where it's hosted due to several pc failures. But will have the link again soon. You'll be able to instantly ID your location then

Still can't see a use for this feature at all, yet now we have to choose a region when placing a cache. Why?

Can anyone really give me a proper explanation of the use of this feature, it strikes me as they have it so we must have it.

OK I don't really mind having it their for other people to use if they want to......Just why oh why do I have to be compelled to use a feature that is rock all use!

Done mine. Thanks for the work/drive to get it sorted MissJenn.

In reply to mongoose39uk. If you want a PQ for Cornwall, Essex, Kent, North Wales, etc you can now add in the state to save it bringing in caches which as the crow flies are not far but a long way around.

For instance if you are in North Wales for your holidays and run a PQ you really do not caches in Liverpool popping up (nothing against Liverpool :rolleyes: ) It will also enable you to run the PQ in a geographic area, but there is a downside, picking my locality (North Staffordshire on the edge of the Peak District) where the West Midlands merge into the North West both of which merge in with whichever state Derbyshire is in.

To my mind its an extra filter to get more useful PQ's.

Me ol' man just added the "state "our caches using his computor ...

and can still see our own caches from our profile using his computor ...

[]but can see them when using my computor [/b] :rolleyes:

edited to say my computor has caught up !

Edited by t.a.folk

This discussion "was already had" some months ago and the conclusion seemed to be that a lot of people wanted this feature, but that individual counties would be too small as a unit. Some people will have problems working out which region they're in, but quite a few people would have had quasi-religious objections to their "county" being wrong too, even on "Rutson's List".

There was also a feeling of "well, they have it in the US and Germany so why not here", which I suppose makes sense if you feel discriminated against by not having something even if you don't really want it for any other particularly good reason. :rolleyes:

My personal opinion is that wanting a list of "all the caches in county/region X" is a bit nerdy, unless you genuinely believe that dragons lurk just across the county boundary, in which case it's a bit OCD. But then I regularly drive considerable distances to look for small plastic containers hidden by other people, so I'm not really in a position to pass judgment. :rolleyes:

One thing this could potentially be useful for - depending on how the forthcoming UK reviewer team decides to split up the country - is reviewing. It gives an additional option apart from the somewhat artificial latitude/longitude split. I know that the similar split in Germany has helped the review team there.

Dead again

now getting

"System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at Geocaching.UI.geocaching_nearest.ShowCountryState(Int64 StateID, Int64 CountryID) at ASP.seek_nearest_aspx.__DataBind__control5(Object sender, EventArgs e) at System.Web.UI.Control.OnDataBinding(EventArgs e) at System.Web.UI.Control.DataBind(Boolean raiseOnDataBinding) at System.Web.UI.Control.DataBind() at System.Web.UI.Control.DataBindChildren() at System.Web.UI.Control.DataBind(Boolean raiseOnDataBinding) at System.Web.UI.Control.DataBind() at System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataList.CreateItem(Int32 itemIndex, ListItemType itemType, Boolean dataBind, Object dataItem) at System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataList.CreateControlHierarchy(Boolean useDataSource) at System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataList.OnDataBinding(EventArgs e) at System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataList.DataBind() at Geocaching.UI.geocaching_nearest.ProcessResults(OriginWpt OriginWpt) at Geocaching.UI.geocaching_nearest.DisplayPageResultData()"

Seems that this error is being generated to all profiles that have amended the Zones on their caches.

Seems also the page that any of the changed caches appear on can't be viewed, frog needs that VET NOW!

Done mine. Thanks for the work/drive to get it sorted MissJenn.

In reply to mongoose39uk. If you want a PQ for Cornwall, Essex, Kent, North Wales, etc you can now add in the state to save it bringing in caches which as the crow flies are not far but a long way around.

For instance if you are in North Wales for your holidays and run a PQ you really do not caches in Liverpool popping up (nothing against Liverpool :rolleyes: ) It will also enable you to run the PQ in a geographic area, but there is a downside, picking my locality (North Staffordshire on the edge of the Peak District) where the West Midlands merge into the North West both of which merge in with whichever state Derbyshire is in.

To my mind its an extra filter to get more useful PQ's.

Nope still cannot see the point.............. Having said that I didn't see the point of counties either. I know the discussion was had, I got very quickly bored with that thread. At some point I must have missed them being compulsory. A PQ for trads in North Wales..........hmm you may get all the Marzipan caches in that lol.

Surely better to look at the caches on Geocaching google map and see which ones are on the right side of the water?

Why should be compelled to put them in regions when putting them up for review? Yet another choice down the drain!

Why should be compelled to put them in regions when putting them up for review? Yet another choice down the drain!

It's not a choice you've lost because you never had it. It's a value which you're asked to provide, to help those people who might find it useful. I don't think it will cost more than 2 seconds per cache submission to do this.

(It would be useful if the country and state were copied from your profile, though. I just looked and it defaulted to United States. I'm not sure if this is recently broken.)

Oh, and another good use for this feature: The link "nearest caches in..." contains your state, not your country. For people who drive 200 miles for an FTF or who live right on a border this might not be much use, but for those whose radius is more like 10 miles and who don't have Insta-Notify turned on (or are not PMs), this will make it quicker to see that nice new ammo box near you rather than having to wade through that power trail in some other part of the country.

I'm missing something major here.

For starters, why are these states not assigned automatically by the web site so that a standard is ahered to and all listings are updated? Or is this the next phase?

Well, for a start, Groundspeak probably doesn't have complete (metre-level) polygons for every state in every subdivided country.

I think that it's both good economics :rolleyes: and "empowering" to allow the community to handle it. The community has a pretty good track record, which is why we're all here. (States were introduced in Germany just under a year ago and about 70% of German caches now have the "state" set. I think that's pretty good going by the German community.)

Of course, by the same token, the site could already identify the cache's country from the coordinates, and automatically assign that value too. I'm sure the UK & Ireland reviewers would just love sorting out the flak from that :rolleyes: . And while there may not be any disputed boundaries with the new UK "states", I would bet money that there are some in other countries.

]

It's not a choice you've lost because you never had it. It's a value which you're asked to provide, to help those people who might find it useful. I don't think it will cost more than 2 seconds per cache submission to do this.

I think your missing my point, I choose not to include this value, it has no value to me. I am not "asked" to provide this "value". I am in fact compelled to provide this value. Try listing a cache without it!

Since when did the North West become a state? It is in a state I will grant that!

:rolleyes:

I'm missing something major here.

For starters, why are these states not assigned automatically by the web site so that a standard is ahered to and all listings are updated? Or is this the next phase?

Well, for a start, Groundspeak probably doesn't have complete (metre-level) polygons for every state in every subdivided country.

Surely that is exactly what is required to implement this change properly. I'm not sure the polygons would have to be to metre-level. Most of the boundaries are ficticious anyway, so that part would be simple.

I think that it's both good economics :rolleyes: and "empowering" to allow the community to handle it. The community has a pretty good track record...

A huge number of caches still don't have additional waypoints after well over 2 years, so I don't share your confidence as much as I admire it. :rolleyes: The difference here is that if any listings are not updated it renders filtering by state completely useless. When I run a PQ I need to know I'm going to get all the caches in the area for that PQ, not just the ones that have been updated.

If you want a PQ for Cornwall, Essex, Kent, North Wales, etc you can now add in the state to save it bringing in caches which as the crow flies are not far but a long way around.

Well you could do if all the older caches had the state information, but they don't. I'm not sure of the best way to go about persuading people to add this information to their existing caches, since I guess over 90% of cachers in the UK don't read these forums.

I think your missing my point, I choose not to include this value, it has no value to me. I am not "asked" to provide this "value". I am in fact compelled to provide this value. Try listing a cache without it!

Since when did the North West become a state? It is in a state I will grant that!

But it may well have value to the people wishing to find your caches! I thought caches were placed for the benefit of the finders, not the placers. :rolleyes:

Lisa

But it may well have value to the people wishing to find your caches! I thought caches were placed for the benefit of the finders, not the placers. :rolleyes:

Lisa

Yup they are placed for the finders, they have been found perfectly well without this feature, go on convince me how this feature will benefit them?

I suspect that there will still be plenty of examples where a search by "state" will bring up caches that involve a circuitous drive.

It isn't difficult to work out when a cache is on the opposite side of The Bristol Channel and I'm not at all sure that adding needless features to aid those without the sense to work it out is really necessary or a good idea. This is a game that involves a degree of navigation so why dumb it down?

Lisa

Geocaching is a huge puzzle in many respects, it's the finders job to solve that puzzle. Just how easy do you want it to be? Big neon signs pointing at each and every cache? :rolleyes:

Judging from the number of people who asked for this feature, it seems that people like to organise their future cache hunts and past finds in a number of different ways.

Some of those ways will not be enhanced by this feature; others will.

Of course, it's possible that everybody who asked for this feature is irredeemably thick and that everyone who is opposed to it has an unparalleled level of comprehension of every possible aspect of the issue. I say that as someone who (thinks that he) would have very little use for this feature if it ever makes it to France.

This discussion reminds me a bit of the kind of thing you could hear in a pub circa 1994 when people were just starting to get mobile phones. I didn't see the point then either. :rolleyes:

Of course, it's possible that everybody who asked for this feature is irredeemably thick and that everyone who is opposed to it has an unparalleled level of comprehension of every possible aspect of the issue. I say that as someone who (thinks that he) would have very little use for this feature if it ever makes it to France.

That is quite insulting.

I am not saying some won't find a use for the feature. I am saying that I would much prefer to have a choice to list by region or not. My choice would be not!

I personally cannot see a use for this feature and really am waiting for an answer to how it would benefit a finder for my caches to be listed by region.

I can of course understand the benefit for reviewers "IF" Deci ever gets any help.