Navin MiniHomer

pch

I am considering buying a Navin MiniHomer which is a keyring gps that you can download points on. Is it compatible with geocaching and how would I do it. At 54.99 I will buy it anyway so I don't get lost in the parking lot anymore.

I am considering buying a Navin MiniHomer which is a keyring gps that you can download points on. Is it compatible with geocaching and how would I do it. At 54.99 I will buy it anyway so I don't get lost in the parking lot anymore.

It's worthless for geocaching. It's just a GPS backtracker. It can only take you back to places you've already been, and saved to the unit. You can only save a handful of locations.

Edited by Prime Suspect

For only slightly more you could pick up a Garmin Nuvi that you could, while not the best choice at all, use for geocaching in a pinch. ...as a last resort. Only if you had to.*

*Not recommend, but possible.

Hi,

It's worthless for geocaching. It's just a GPS backtracker. It can only take you back to places you've already been, and saved to the unit. You can only save a handful of locations.

a few days ago i came in contact with Navin (www.navin.com.tw) and the german distribution (www.znex.de) and suggested exactly those features needed to make this really cool gadget perfectly usable for geocaching:

- "Free-marking": a direct input for a longitude/latitude coordinate (needed e.g for multiples)

- "Where-am-i": a direct readout mode of the actual coordinates

Coordinate input and output is in a fixed "N/S dd°mm.mmmm E/W ddd°mm.mmmm" format. The input is done by a smart two-button user interface. IMHO the miniHomer 2.1 has now all the features needed for geocaching.

I got the new firmware as a beta-user directly from Navin. I think if someone else is interested, the firmware could be requested from Navin or Z:NEX. Maybe the firmware is put on their websites for download within the next week...

Regards, Thorsten

Edited by dl9sec