Magellan Insiders received the new eXplorist GC Firmware 1.2 Beta for field testing.

Loaded it up and heading out for testing. Report back soon. :)

eXplorist GC Release Notes (May 2010)

Geocaching Improvements:

Correlation between geocaches and associated child waypoints from either Geocache or Waypoint Lists

Display specific child waypoint icons from geocaching.com

Field Notes text file is now properly formatted for upload to geocaching.com

Improved UI when creating a new geocache

Ability to edit a geocache after creating, but before submitting to geocaching.com

Incorrect picture attachment tags have been removed from Preloaded Geocaches

“Not Found” counter has been corrected

Map Display Improvements:

Options Menu will provide new function to locate nearest geocache that is “Not Found” and “Not Attempted”

“Found” geocaches will display as smiley faces on the map

Ability to display only “Found” or “Not Found” geocaches on the map

Map detail will draw more quickly during zooming and panning

Accurate map scale when zooming and toggling back and forth between map and other screens

“Ground Zero” animation to provide visual cues in addition to audible cues when closing in on geocache location

Navigational Data Improvements

Heading and bearing values are more accurate

Sun & Moon location corrected on the Compass Screen and Overlay

Trip Summary screen now working properly

Avg. Speed and Avg. Moving Speed has been corrected

Start Trip function now works properly…

“Start Trip” will delete active track and any active routes

All items in “Trip Summary” will be reset

“Stop & Save” will stop the active trip recording, but not reset Trip Summary

The track will be saved on the device so it can be exported to PC at a later time

Activating new routes does not interfere with Trip Recording or Trip Summary

Other Improvements:

Soft USB eject will not result in a reconnection to computer

Software optimization that will be noticed in general use of the product

Consistent use of preferred units of measurement (m/km or f/mi) throughout the user interface

Main Menu rotation is more intuitive using joystick

Improved order and function included in the Options Menu

Improved translation and language localization

Properly synchronize waypoint names to show the same name regardless of the source.

WoW! I can't believe I made it all the way to the area I wanted to cache and had a major brain fart. I deleted all my geocaches from the GC database. I use an Android app that's a little manually operated. When I copy a new GPX to the directory I have to delete all the geocaches and load the new GPX.

Need less to say my brain fart resulted in me deleting all the geocaches from my GC on location. My Android couldn't get a fix due to Western WA weather. Requiring me to drive all the way back home to reload my GPX to the GC. Now I only have two hours to catch a couple close to the house. Blah....

I don't see it in the notes, did they do anything to make the font easier to read?

No.

That's a little surprising considering that's one of the biggest complaints by users and reviewers that I've seen so far. And I agree after using mine in the field a little, the font is hard to read even in the best of conditions.

I just hope this update fixes the problem that myself and some others are having with the boot up of the unit hanging and needing several resets to get past. If it doesn't then I guess it would be time for an RMA, but I really don't want to go that route unless I have to. Can't wait for this update to go live.

Edited by madmikess

I don't see it in the notes, did they do anything to make the font easier to read?

No.

That's a little surprising considering that's one of the biggest complaints by users and reviewers that I've seen so far. And I agree after using mine in the field a little, the font is hard to read even in the best of conditions.

Maybe it was a fluke, but the few caches I looked at last night all seemed to have larger text than before.

I took it out today and played. It was a lot easier to use. I especially like the smileys on the screen for found caches instead of the unopened cache containers.

All in all, It was a lot easier to get from screen to screen. The steps for getting from marking a cache as found to seeking the next one is a lot less cumbersome.

Now If I could only get the touch screen to work. :)

I took it out today and played. It was a lot easier to use. I especially like the smileys on the screen for found caches instead of the unopened cache containers.

All in all, It was a lot easier to get from screen to screen. The steps for getting from marking a cache as found to seeking the next one is a lot less cumbersome.

and the electronic compass

Keep in mind that while the compass isn't electronic, it does have the sun and moon icons in a relative position. without moving, you can orient the compass so that these are in the correct position and it works essentially the same way.

Keep in mind that while the compass isn't electronic, it does have the sun and moon icons in a relative position. without moving, you can orient the compass so that these are in the correct position and it works essentially the same way.

That sound like it would take "thinking". I just want it to point me in the direction then say "stop, look around"

:):) I said that hoping that a newer and improved unit would soon be released :P

I have two other units with electronic compass and never use it to get me to the cache. I walk to it, distance to end, it gets me within the circle, and I start looking for the hide based on the description and hints. The electronic compass is helpful if you are standing still and trying to figure out which direction to go. I know my directions without a compass. The electronic compass can be helpful for those that do not have their own "built in compass". Or just start walking and the compass kicks in!

I have two other units with electronic compass and never use it to get me to the cache. I walk to it, distance to end, it gets me within the circle, and I start looking for the hide based on the description and hints. The electronic compass is helpful if you are standing still and trying to figure out which direction to go. I know my directions without a compass. The electronic compass can be helpful for those that do not have their own "built in compass". Or just start walking and the compass kicks in!

Or carry a real compass. :blink:

We purchased our Explorist GC from REI since we know REI has a full satisfaction guarantee (refund policy). Other than a few glitches, it seems to be a good unit -- unfortunately, some of the glitches make finding a geocache more difficult (track featuring only working occasionally). If they don't get the firmware out soon, I think we will invoke our return privileges. I understand patience, but I thought Magellan had released there would be an update out by the end of May.

I was stoked to see the update was out today and can't wait to get out to give it a shot. Really hoping they fixed the 'locking up' issue when near the cache. Also wish I didn't have to go to the funeral home tonight so that I could go caching :angry: At least my priorities are straight.

Is there a place to update the gps? mine does not show the smiley faces on the map (even tho i just bought it!) and that is a feature i really want.

Please give me more information. Are you loading Pocket Queries to the GPS and expecting it to know which caches you found and which ones you haven't. If so, the unit will not do that. It only knows which caches have been logged on the unit.

David

Magellan Insider