oregon 450 question

i may have allready asked this but i cant find it. lol

How do i move a map i downloaded from the gps unit to the memory card?

when looking in the files on the computer i cant seem to find the map. i know its there because i can select it on the unit and see it. i know its not on the card because it shows to be empty. Is it hid somewhere?

when looking in the files on the computer i cant seem to find the map. i know its there because i can select it on the unit and see it. i know its not on the card because it shows to be empty. Is it hid somewhere?

From the Garmin Oregon Wiki:

M16.) What map filenames are supported by the Garmin Oregon?

Beta software 2.99 and later included support for multiple map files on the Oregon, not just the three files below. The restrictions below only apply to earlier versions of software and are left here as a reference. As of beta software 2.99 you may store as many .img files as you want into [drive]:\Garmin and the unit will load them. This applies both the internal memory and SD card slot. The 4000 segment limit discussed below still applies.

The Oregon recognizes three predefined map files in internal memory and one file on the SD card. Map sets with the following filenames in internal memory under [drive]:\Garmin will be loaded by the Oregon:

* gmapbmap.img (typically the preloaded 300 base map)

* gmapprom.img (typically the preloaded 400 maps)

* gmapsupp.img (typically created by Mapsource)

In addition a file called gmapsupp.img can be loaded on the SD card under [sD drive]:\Garmin and will work simultaneously with the img files in internal memory.

The Oregon contains another map file called gmaptz.img. This file contains the time zone data that allows the unit to do automatic time zone setting and switching.

M17.) How do I use multiple map (.img) files to help me better manage maps on my Garmin Oregon?

Even though Mapsource and MapInstall always save maps sets as [drive]:\Garmin\gmapsupp.img this file can be renamed once it is on the Oregon to any name (as of beta software 2.99) as long as the .img extension is preserved. This is very helpful if you want to manage multiple maps sets, say one for your home area that would change infrequently and one for a travel destination(s) that you might change frequently. The steps for doing this are:

1. Follow the procedure in M15 to create and download your home map set

2. Using a file explorer on your computer locate [drive]:\Garmin\gmapsupp.img and rename the file to [drive]:\Garmin\myhomemaps.img

3. Follow the procedure in M15 to create and download your travel map set

When you are done with your travel map set this file can be deleted and replaced with a new map set for your next destination without having to rebuild and transfer your home map set.

Edited by jeepdelfuego

I forgot to directly answer your question. Go to the /Garmin directory on the unit and cut the *.img file and paste it into the SD cards /Garmin directory. As the Wiki states, you can rename the file and it will work. Just remember to not change the .img extension.

I forgot to directly answer your question. Go to the /Garmin directory on the unit and cut the *.img file and paste it into the SD cards /Garmin directory. As the Wiki states, you can rename the file and it will work. Just remember to not change the .img extension.

ok,i did that now it is not showing up on the unit under maps anymore. Do you somehow have to tell it to read off the card?

ok,i did that now it is not showing up on the unit under maps anymore. Do you somehow have to tell it to read off the card?

Which map did you move?

Which map did you move?

a mississippi map off of filedepot