Magellan Explorist 510 geocache search

My wife bought me an explorist 510 for Christmas, and it had been working great. But since yesterday whenI try to SORT BY "nearest" and use "all" for all other attributes but it doesn't list any geocaches. If I change the SORT BY to "Geocache ID" or "Date Created" or "Type" or "Name" it works fine. But dang it, I can't remember the names or IDs, I just want the ones close to me. Anybody know what goofy mistake I'm making? Thanks in advance. Steel Daisy. 225 caches found and 7 planted.

Steel Daisy,

That is a good question - I just did the same thing on my 710, so I'm gong to forward this to the Magellan Engineers and see what they say. After playing with the unit I did find that if I go to the Geocache list and select View All then everything comes back and if I goto "Sort & Search" and select "Sort by" and select Nearest, is working. But, like I said - I will forward this...

David

I can confirm this, though I don't have my 710 nearby so excuse me if I get a label or 2 off, I'll double check tomorrow and correct if needed. I also think I see the problem that causes it.

From what I see it is a difference in terms the Explorist uses over the common understanding. That term is "Not Found". We all know it as black and white, a cache is found or not found. For some reason (not saying I agree) the Explorist sees 3 diffrent possibilities found, not found, not attempted. A cache is only "Not Found" if you attempted and logged a DNF on it. Not a big deal except that "Not Attempted" is not a attribute in the custom list. So even if you select both the "Found" and "Not Found" options caches you haven't tried yet will not appear.

I've been meaning to post this bug on Explorist Forum so thanks for reminding me, I suggest you do the same. They have some contacts right at Magellan so problems get escalated pretty quickly to the programing team lead.

(I hope posting a link to another forum is Ok, if not Mods feel free to remove the link.)

Edit: Just noticed the previous reply was from dwcarr1, he will pass it up to Magellan.

Edited by KI4HLW

Hey KI4HLW,

Nice to see you over here on the Ground Speak forums. Yes, it is already done. I will be in the product engineers inbox first thing in the morning and he's always interested in everything we find, because he takes it personally and wants these items fixed.

David

I can confirm this, though I don't have my 710 nearby so excuse me if I get a label or 2 off, I'll double check tomorrow and correct if needed. I also think I see the problem that causes it.

From what I see it is a difference in terms the Explorist uses over the common understanding. That term is "Not Found". We all know it as black and white, a cache is found or not found. For some reason (not saying I agree) the Explorist sees 3 diffrent possibilities found, not found, not attempted. A cache is only "Not Found" if you attempted and logged a DNF on it. Not a big deal except that "Not Attempted" is not a attribute in the custom list. So even if you select both the "Found" and "Not Found" options caches you haven't tried yet will not appear.

I've been meaning to post this bug on Explorist Forum so thanks for reminding me, I suggest you do the same. They have some contacts right at Magellan so problems get escalated pretty quickly to the programing team lead.

(I hope posting a link to another forum is Ok, if not Mods feel free to remove the link.)

Edit: Just noticed the previous reply was from dwcarr1, he will pass it up to Magellan.

dwcarr1 and KI4HLW,

Hello and thank you both for the replys.

I tried this:

After playing with the unit I did find that if I go to the Geocache list and select View All then everything comes back and if I goto "Sort & Search" and select "Sort by" and select Nearest, is working. But, like I said - I will forward this...

That didnt work. I should say that if I try to sort and search and change "Sort by" to "nearest" before showing me a blank geocache list I will get a message that says "reseting unit for better performance" and it will take 5 minutes to reset.

I also tried deleateing the one "not found" that I logged on the unit and that didnt matter either.

I have registered for the Explorist Forum and am now waiting to get approved.

Thanks both for giving me hope that there is a solution!

We'll thats what you call hitting the nail on the head. Today I called Magellan Customer service in the Philippines. Allie walked me through the problem and as it turns out somewhere in the 500 caches I loaded in was a stinker gumming up the works. So KI4HLW you are a smart GPS guy. Thanks again for all the help.