Magellan explorist GC and NON-vantage point software

wolf9545

I have and love my Magellan explorist GC GPSr unit. The premium membership along with some pq's allow me to store around 5,500 geocaches on the unit so when we go out and about I can just take the unit along and we can just turn it on and see if there is anything near by. About every month I re-run the pq's so that I have a current list of caches in the area and a current list of logs. Right now I use GSAK to take the pq's that I have run and load them into the GPSr just because the Vantage Point software takes about 2 hours or more to send them to the GPSr. I do not use any of the features of GSAK, no filters, no options of changing which caches to include; I just use it to take the zip files and send them to the GPSr. Then I use Vantage Point software to log my finds from the GPSr to the geocaching website.

What I am looking for is a different piece of software, than the GSAK, that is free to use (yes I know GSAK is free but I don't like the nag screen and since I only use one tiny portion of it I don't want to buy it) and will send over the caches from the computer to the GPSr fast. Any help would be nice because all I can find is mention of GSAK or other software like google earth.

Based on what you've written, you don't need any software.

Save the PQ file to your computer and then unzip the files so that you can access the .gpx files.

Plug your eXplorist into the computer and it should dock just like an external drive. Use windows explorer to drag and drop the PQ GPX file into the GEOCACHES folder. Drag and the drop the waypoints GPX file into the WAYPOINTS folder.

Done in seconds.

Based on what you've written, you don't need any software.

Save the PQ file to your computer and then unzip the files so that you can access the .gpx files.

Plug your eXplorist into the computer and it should dock just like an external drive. Use windows explorer to drag and drop the PQ GPX file into the GEOCACHES folder. Drag and the drop the waypoints GPX file into the WAYPOINTS folder.

Done in seconds.

FSM is correct, that is how I load my PQ into my GC (did I really just use 3 acronyms in one sentence?). It is fast and easy and no need for external software..thats what I like about the GC.

Thank you for that tip, I will have to try it. There is one tiny option that I like about using GSAK that I just thought of. After I have loaded the PQ's into GSAK and I go to send them over to the GPSr, I check an option to download any images from the caches (the images that are in the description). This loads the images and any attributes for the cache into the GPSr. There are some in the area that require the images to be viewed to solve the cache. I am thinking that by just placing the GPX files on the GPSr that it will not transfer the pics over right?

I just had a chance to take a single GPX file from a new cache (one that I would know that it wouldn't be on my explorist GC) and moved it over by just dragging it to my explorist GC. Everything seemed to be there, attributes (kid friendly, etc). Just letting other people know that it works. Will have to play with it to see if everything that I want is there. Thank you for everyone.

edit: It looks like the pictures, the pics that are in the description not user submitted ones, do not transfer over. On the explorist GC, when you are viewing a cache it states a number next to the pictures section but when I go to view a picture all it gives me is "please use vantage point or the plugin ...". I guess that means I will have to use GSAK because there are a few caches in the area that you need to view the pics to be able to solve it.

Edited by wolf9545

I have tried just dropping the GPX files to the GC and they do transfer over fine but the only thing that does not transfer over is the pictures. This cache, My link, requires the pictures to be viewable. Since I just load up my GPSr with caches (right now about 5,500) I don't know exactly which ones need pictures and which ones do not.