Spoilers

Nothing can be done. What he posts on another site is his business. GS can't do anything about it. AFAIK there is no clause in the TOS stating a person can't post spoilers elsewhere. I could be wrong. Even if there was such a clause what can they do about it short of banning him from the site. Which won't amount to anything since he can easily start a new profile.

Ignoring any wider issues regarding this cacher's You Tube site and considering the video on a one-off basis I don't see it as any more of a spoiler than descriptions or photos likely to appear in future logs:

• it doesn't show the actual cache, although I suspect from the commentary it would have done if it was an unusual container
  • there are other videos of this location on You Tube
  • there are several other caches of this nature

As with the previous reply I don't see what you can do about it.

If the video is hosted elsewhere on the internet then realistically, how many people are likely to see it who will be in a position to go finding it? The only way I see it could be a true spoiler is if they've posted a link to the video in their found log, and presumably then you would be within your rights to delete the log anyway?

Either way GS can't do more then disable the guys account and i doubt they would go that far. He could easily start a new account and still do what he wants. At worst they could block his IP but there are always ways to mask your IP.

Blocking his IP won't work if he's got a dynamic IP address from his ISP (which seems to be most ISPs these days). Potentially all he'd have to do is disconnect and reconnect his modem/router and he'd have a nice new IP address.

A video of me caching exists. It isn't on the net.

There are lots of geocaching videos showing finds on YouTube.

I can't see how the terms of the site cover the video as it could be argued it's just a video of someone caching. If the container isn't shown I don't think it technically shows the solution to the cache. Even if it does, without the GC code it doesn't show the solution to the cache as you'd have to have seen the video and recognise the cache... Unless you'd been there before.

So it's one of millions of videos, that would be of use to me if I watched it after a DNF? How many people have DNF'd the cache?

Thanks to this thread I've had a look at the videos. The Nuclear Bunker one looks interesting; I quite fancy a go at that myself now I've seen the "trailer". I guess that it isn't the one that provoked this complaint as there's no spoiler in it (but I can't see a spoiler video that seems to fit the description). If it is, then I have to say that the coordinates will give away the location just as well as the video does.

Quite a few of the others I've already logged, but if I hadn't I'd be sure to try and identify them and have a go. Or perhaps get inspired to replicate the hide.

I suppose the most contentious one is of a particularly obscure hiding place that is revealed, although as far as I can see the cache name isn't given away as well.

The video in question is here ***Link removed***

I'm confused as to why the op is complaining, I received five emails from him complaining about the video which after I explained myself was finalised with this email:

Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 10:19 PM

To: Sven

Subject: hi

Hiya again,

On second thoughts, sorry about the hassle I have been giving you. Just leave it [the video] up if you like.

Cheers,

Daryl

The day after I received this I tried phoning the op on four occasions, he didn't answer so I assumed the 'problem' was resolved?

Bottom line is I haven't videod his cache as per the request in the description at the time.....He says himself in the description that it is a nuclear bunker...So I'm giving NOTHING away what *exactly* is the problem? 85% of the cachers I've met wouldn't be physically able (be it in ability or size - with respect) to get down there....Wouldn't they like to see it too?

I do not name his cache or indicate any GC code in the video. Anyone wanting to find his cache cannot find my video at all.....

You and not Groundspeak, are entirely responsible for all content that you upload, post or otherwise transmit via the Site. You agree not to:

(m) Publish, in any form of media, the solutions, hints, spoilers, or any hidden coordinates for any geocache without consent from the cache owner.

It's not against the terms, surely it is more of a "pro" for geocaching indeed my channel has entertained almost 2,000 subscribers in a month and a half....It gets almost 30 subscribers a day and currently it's sitting at about 6,000 views every day.

According to feedback I'm introducing LOTS of people to this sport. The feedback you can read yourself is all positive, besides (currently) two negative ninnies.

Edited by geohatter
TOU violation

A local geocacher has posted a spoiler video to my new 5/5 cache on You Tube, I have asked him to remove it but he has basically said that he isn't going to. Is there anything that I can do about it. He is a Premium Member and has now posted several videos of local caches in the area.

The video in question is here ***Link Removed***

I'm confused as to why the op is complaining, I received five emails from him complaining about the video which after I explained myself was finalised with this email:

Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 10:19 PM

To: Sven

Subject: hi

Hiya again,

On second thoughts, sorry about the hassle I have been giving you. Just leave it [the video] up if you like.

Cheers,

Daryl

The day after I received this I tried phoning the op on four occasions, he didn't answer so I assumed the 'problem' was resolved?

Quality, don't you just love it when someone whinges on here about someone else, realises they are wrong, sends the person they are hassling an apology but don't have the common sense to come back on here and explain that they were wrong and shouldn't have posted the whinge in the first place. Classic :lol::lol:

Sometimes people need to think about what they are doing before posting.

Edited by geohatter
TOU violation

Why should I admit that I am wrong, I don't feel that I am wrong, my cache page asks that videos aren't uploaded. Can't wait to see what happens when Groep get hold of these videos and then locate the caches and start trashing them. Maybe people will think twice then! I don't intend to comment further on this, I am quite happy to stand back and watch you all getting wound up about it! Happy caching :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Your cache page says that *now* - something you added after I uploaded the video.

I am quite happy to stand back and watch you all getting wound up

I'm quite gobsmacked, the funniest thing is I didn't video the cache because you said in the description

Please feel free to add photos of the inside of the bunker, but not the actual container. Good luck.

(Some wording you've now changed) I didn't video it because I have (had) a lot of respect for you. Every cache I goto I find a little Jacaru keyring in it, I went to a large event you hosted and you've got this blog etc.

My mind has been changed.

It's just a game. Wow.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/termsofuse.aspx

GEOCACHING.COM SITE

TERMS OF USE AGREEMENT

Last updated: August 2, 2011

Blah, blah, blah...

4. Use of Publishing Tools and Forums

Blah, blah, blah...

(m) Publish, in any form of media, the solutions, hints, spoilers, or any hidden coordinates for any geocache without consent from the cache owner.

You missed a few important bits (see my bold):

4. Use of Publishing Tools and Forums

All features, functions and areas of the geocaching.com website, including the Groundspeak Forums (http://forums.Groundspeak.com), are governed by this Agreement and are also subject to such additional terms and conditions as Groundspeak may, from time to time, publicize. To post in the Groundspeak Discussion Forums, you must be 18 years or older, or under the supervision of your parent or legal guardian.

You and not Groundspeak, are entirely responsible for all content that you upload, post or otherwise transmit via the Site. You agree not to:

Basically it only applies to content posted on GC.com or in the GC forums. Ownership of the media is the authors and it's up-to them what they do with it.

That said, even if the rule applied universally no "solutions, hints, spoilers, or any hidden coordinates" were not in the clip anyway.

Edited by Ve8

A local geocacher has posted a spoiler video to my new 5/5 cache on You Tube, I have asked him to remove it but he has basically said that he isn't going to. Is there anything that I can do about it. He is a Premium Member and has now posted several videos of local caches in the area.

I only watched the video after this post, I had seen some of the videos a while back but had forgotten about them until this. I might come and take a look at the cache so I guess your post did raise its profile to me, is self advertising allowed :lol: I have not visited yet but from the video it did not look to be a 5/5 to me, as all you need is a torch.:unsure:

.....I might come and take a look at the cache so I guess your post did raise its profile to me, is self advertising allowed :lol: I have not visited yet but from the video it did not look to be a 5/5 to me, as all you need is a torch...

There is the nail on head moment, ask yourself why.

it did not look to be a 5/5 to me

There is the nail on head moment, ask yourself why.

The container took us 20 minutes to find, although that was probably due to the awe of the surroundings also. It wasn't hard to find....The terrain? besides the ladder was all completely flat. You'd be able to take a childs buggy to the entrance but probably not a wheelchair.

*shrug*

Seems the op has had problems on a few of his caches with folks accusing him of not marking the difficulty correctly, but then so have I.

It's all very opinionated....

Edited by Sven&Cup

(Some wording you've now changed) I didn't video it because I have (had) a lot of respect for you. Every cache I goto I find a little Jacaru keyring in it, I went to a large event you hosted and you've got this blog etc.

My mind has been changed.

It's just a game. Wow.

Like yourself I too had respect and empathy for Jacaru. The hard time he appeared to get from some individuals appeared at the time to be unjust. Then a few months back he made comments on facebook about soldiers not being worthy and being ex military I took offence to it (as did some others). His attitude was tough, I don't care! To think that I have put my life on the line several times all so that people like him can have his freedom and be allowed to speak his mind. I could say in one word what I think of him now, but that would most certainly get me a ban. :(

The hard time he appeared to get from some individuals appeared at the time to be unjust.

When his account was supposedly hacked did anyone question how he managed login a post a forum thread? how would he know what his username and passsword was if someone had supposedly changed it?

Moving on, myself and others were disgusted and sickened by the following:

http://jacaru.blogspot.com/2010/11/lucky.html

After it caused the intended effect the above post was heavily edited but I think there are still a few keywords that should give people the idea behind it. The original blog post was not only intended as an attack against me it also mentioned my children and their disabilities.

I've exercised great control to stop myself from knocking on his door and settling this 'man to man' but to be frank I believe Jacaru needs to seek professional help (that's not an attack, just my honest opinion).

I would worry about it too much Haggis Hunter, he admits in his latest blog post that he is only trying to wind people up and sitting back and laughing about it??? Bizarre indeed.

That link is so funny, at one part he's talking about himself, I quote -

This showed a few times in the posts when comments were posted and then altered once they had had time to think about what they had said.

Now look back on this thread at comment 16, which he has been quoted in and then look back at comment 15 which he has edited. Hilarious :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You know, I'm pleased that my posts make him happy, if that is how he gets his kicks then who am I to disappoint?? B)