Geocoin FAQ/info add on

NeverSummer

Would it be possible to update the generic stashnote to include "geocoins"? Also, could the PTB add a frontpaged and linkable feature that would contain a Flash file depicting a "typical" cache and its contents? The Flash could have clickable or roll-over windows describing each part: the container, the stashnote, travel bugs, geocoins, sway, log book, etc. It would be a great way to de-text the site to give a great "how-to" and FAQ all in one.

Just a few thoughts that stem from a venting thread in the geocoin forum....and tossing out ideas.

I think a "picture book" page if you will would be an excellent idea. The picture of a travel bug with a rollover or pop up that explains what it is and what to do with it, etc. I think tht having all the basics done this way would be much easier for newbies to grasp, everything from tbs, coins, logbooks, virtuals. Pictures work so much better.

Flash isn't very accessible. Text and pictures would suffice.

How do you figure? Most new browsers support it, and you can get free plug-in downloads. Many websites run Flash-based sites that are easy to navigate. I used to do work with Flash and it was easy to create a page like I am describing, and it isn't a large file. Older versions are certainly more accessible than the newer ones, but I'm not talking about anything super fancy.

Anyone out there have it and want to give a design a dry run?

I respectfully disagree about text and pictures being enough. I've read plenty of newspapers and magazines to know that interactive pages are more fun (for one) and stick in your mind better than a caption on a picture.

Using a rollover function, you could have pop-ups when you roll over a TB tag and the actual TB, and even where to locate tracking numbers on dog tags and coins. The cache itself would be better with details on sizes, types, and contents. If I still worked where I used to, I could whip one out pretty quick...but I don't have the program anymore.

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe that all browsers since IE5 support Flash.

I agree that some new info for coins need to be added. Given the coin boom and sheer number out there, there needs to be a better place for the newbies to read about coins, figure out (easily) how to trackthem on the site, etc.

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe that all browsers since IE5 support Flash.

I agree that some new info for coins need to be added. Given the coin boom and sheer number out there, there needs to be a better place for the newbies to read about coins, figure out (easily) how to trackthem on the site, etc.

Booyaah! PTB, let's do it!

Even though many browsers do support Flash, not everyone chooses to have Flash installed or activated. Flash is also harder on system resources for people using older computers (or cell phones). I don't have a problem with supplementing to the existing information, but replacing it would not be a good idea. Leave the existing information in place with a link to the new shiny interactive Flash.

Even though many browsers do support Flash, not everyone chooses to have Flash installed or activated. Flash is also harder on system resources for people using older computers (or cell phones). I don't have a problem with supplementing to the existing information, but replacing it would not be a good idea. Leave the existing information in place with a link to the new shiny interactive Flash.

Precisely... :rolleyes:

Would it be possible to update the generic stashnote to include "geocoins"? Also, could the PTB add a frontpaged and linkable feature that would contain a Flash file depicting a "typical" cache and its contents?

I never wanted to CHANGE the website, my OP says that it would be good to update the stashnote, as well as some other text info about coins on a "traveller" link.

The idea for the Flash page would be a link, or at least you wouldn't be REQUIRED to load/view it on your cell phone...(cell phone?! Man, I'm behind on the times!) This feature would have to be an add-on to existing resources in the FAQ and such. I wasn't implying that it would be the end all, be all for the site's explaination of a "cache and contents".

To each their own. :D

Edited by NeverSummer

I would like to see the whole Travel Bugs info section edited to include coins. Trackable coins and TBs are both travelers and identical as far as handling them on the site. I think this is often unclear to novice cachers.

Hello all,

This is what I also asked yesterday at Groundspeak. They suggested me to put it here at the forums.

So I found this thread. If enough people give a reply, maybe something happens <_<

Suggestion: edit the TB faq or (better) create a new Geocoin faq with all the items about geocoins. Because a Geocoin has become more complicated then a TB (collectors/personal coins/countries/LE,SE,XLE,XSE/metal types/copy's/etc.)

Shoot..........

I would like to see the whole Travel Bugs info section edited to include coins. Trackable coins and TBs are both travelers and identical as far as handling them on the site. I think this is often unclear to novice cachers.

Hello all,

This is what I also asked yesterday at Groundspeak. They suggested me to put it here at the forums.

So I found this thread. If enough people give a reply, maybe something happens :laughing:

Suggestion: edit the TB faq or (better) create a new Geocoin faq with all the items about geocoins. Because a Geocoin has become more complicated then a TB (collectors/personal coins/countries/LE,SE,XLE,XSE/metal types/copy's/etc.)

Shoot..........

This topic pretty much sums it up to me. Even a cacher at the "biz" since 2001 didn't know that collecting coins was a "no-no". It gets confusing, and there needs to be more serious descriptions about geocoins that are registered and trackable at geocaching.com. Sometimes a "bug sheet" in with a coin isn't enough.

Let's get on it! FAQ add on!

DO IT. DO IT NOW. :laughing: