Looking for my first GPS unit

GofL

Hi everyone,

I am looking for my first GPS unit. I have never use one but I would like to pick one up for geocaching as well as in the car for direction, also I do not want to have to update in the next few months, and price range around $200.

Please help!!!

Thank you

Although it will take you a bit over your budget, I would recommend getting a discontinued Legend C (probably on eBay), then purchase the City Navigator maps. The Legend C will auto-navigate very well, and its 24 MB of memory is large enough for your "local" area.

If you get the newer GPS units, your budget is going to have to be a bit over $350 for the GPSr and the mapping software. I got the maps in a package deal along with the beanbag auto-mount and cigarette ligher adapter for around $140 a couple of years ago.

For additional suggestions, you can read through other recent threads, including this thread on the subject. :rolleyes:

Hi everyone,

I am looking for my first GPS unit. I have never use one but I would like to pick one up for geocaching as well as in the car for direction, also I do not want to have to update in the next few months, and price range around $200.

Please help!!!

Thank you

I would get one of the new Garmin HCX models. They have expandable memory and the Sirf chip which is much more sensitive than the old models. The old models often lose reception in tree cover.

You can start with this short list

Thank you for all your help.

If I purchase the handheld model. Is there anyway that i can mount in the car? Also, I looked over the short list that imaroon recommented and more confused.

Please everyone give your input of the advantage and disadvantage between the Garmin Gpsmap 60Csx and Garmin Etrex Vista Cx? Yes, there is the price difference but is there worthed?

Thank you for all the input.

GofL

You can start with this short list

Thank you for all your help.

If I purchase the handheld model. Is there anyway that i can mount in the car? Also, I looked over the short list that imaroon recommented and more confused.

Please everyone give your input of the advantage and disadvantage between the Garmin Gpsmap 60Csx and Garmin Etrex Vista Cx? Yes, there is the price difference but is there worthed?

Thank you for all the input.

GofL

The 60CSX is easier to use in a car. It has a larger screen and the buttons are located on the front of the units for easier use when driving.

I have the Garmin Vista C, and when/if I upgrade, I will get the Vista HCx. I prefer the smaller size for hiking, but if you need/want the larger screen, the other GPSr might be the one to get.

I purchased the maps in a combination package with the beanbag mount and cigarette-lighter adapter. Depending on the type of driving you do (on highway or 4WD), the beanbag might work . . . or not. :ph34r:

RAM mounts come highly recommended.

Hi everyone,

Please help!!!

Thank you

I just went through the same thing: selecting my first GPSr unit.

Spend extra money and get the Garmin 60CSx and software.

Don't get anything from Magellan. The learning curve is steep and tech support is horrible.

That said, the 60CSx is great for both GCing and navigating.

I just took a 1700 mile road trip through 5 states and it really performed.

As for GCing: Garmin products and software integrates seamlessly with this very web site. What does that tell you?

Edited by TopangaHiker

Thank you all for your input!!!

Next question. What type of software that I need to get? I ask this question because I want to shop around to see if there is any package deal. Or any recomentation that everyone have to offer? Thanks

TopangaHiker,

What type of software did you get for you first GPS?

Thank you all

If you buy Garmin, you can only use Garmin software; they call it MapSource. The handheld GPS' that don't have a removable card use City Navigator; those that have a removable card use the same or City Navigator NT (North American for the U.S.). Almost all vendors sell that software in a package called a navigation kit. It will include the software, DC adapter, bean bag mount and semip-permanent adhesive mounts for the dashboard.

All can will also accept MetroGuide, but it does not auto-route.

IMO the Legend HCx is the best value. The screen is a half-inch shorter (vertical-wise) than the 60's, but the font and detail is the same size.

If you buy Garmin, you can only use Garmin software; they call it MapSource. The handheld GPS' that don't have a removable card use City Navigator; those that have a removable card use the same or City Navigator NT (North American for the U.S.). Almost all vendors sell that software in a package called a navigation kit. It will include the software, DC adapter, bean bag mount and semip-permanent adhesive mounts for the dashboard.

IMO the Legend HCx is the best value. The screen is a half-inch shorter (vertical-wise) than the 60's, but the font and detail is the same size.

Do I really need to buy the software or I am ok for just a American REcreational Routable Basemap that comes with the 60CSx?

Thanks

Thank you all for your input!!!

Next question. What type of software that I need to get? I ask this question because I want to shop around to see if there is any package deal. Or any recomentation that everyone have to offer? Thanks

TopangaHiker,

What type of software did you get for you first GPS?

Thank you all

The softaware I got was:

Garmin Mapsource Citi Navigator North America NT v8

Garmin Mapsource Topo US 2008

I got a package deal from an online e-tailer which included the following as well as the aforementioned software.

The package consisted of:

Garmin 60Csx GPSr

Garmin Cigarette Lighter 12V Adapter Car charger

Kingston 1 GB micro SD memory card

If you want to know who I got it from and how much send me a private message.

Do I really need to buy the software or I am ok for just a American REcreational Routable Basemap that comes with the 60CSx?

Thanks

You don't need the mapping software to cache. Just plug in the coordinates and your GPS will point the way. You can always purchase the maps later. I think you will be surprise how much they can help; especially when you travel.

Thanks

You don't need the mapping software to cache. Just plug in the coordinates and your GPS will point the way. You can always purchase the maps later. I think you will be surprise how much they can help; especially when you travel.

Thank you all for the input. Your opinion very helpful.

Another question: There is a bit price difference between 60CSx and 60CS. Is it worthed to pay extra for the difference features?

Thanks

I would say yes, the little "x" mean it got the high sensitive SiRF III chip and it makes a big difference.

Those who owned both will better answer you.

Few more questions:

Please tell me what the difference between Mapsource city Navigator NT V8 and Mapsouce TOPO 2008?

What Micro SD card I should get for Garmin 60CSx?

Also. from your expericence. Please let me share your insight regarding Garmin assessories for travel with GPS unit.

Thank you all