To: Expert Cachers Please Help Me Decode This

"Okay, so we're new to this. Without giving away too much, after doing some reading of other posts, we figured out that things can be hidden in a certain way in certain public places. We were not aware that certain things could be done with certain, umm, public objects. Vague enough? :) Once we figured that out, we knew right where to look!"

This is one of the logs on a cache im try to find, and i really need to know what it means. Its probably really obvious, but could yall please explain it to me?

Thanks

Edited by ToasterEater

I'm guessing that it was a well cammoed object like a fake bolt or something like that...

That's actually kind of a funny log - I could write that for pretty much every cache that I've ever found 'I didn't know that you could do something like hang a peanut butter jar from a public tree'

Edited by Taoiseach

One thing hat has helped me find caches that I haven't seen before was to look at e-bay, under geocaching and geocaches, for ideas about what types of things people can hide things in. I also looked at the stores for geocaching under this link at GC.com, Geocoin stores . Down and to the left there are a list of places to buy geocoins. Those stores also sell geocaches and you can look at them.

There is also a forums post, Cool cache containers . This will help you get an idea of what people use to hide things in.

Good luck.

ah, memories...

we all thought the first one we saw was frightfully clever.

thank you for the nostalgia.

Nice to know others have fond memories of their first time, mine was kinda depressing.

The skirt was rusted down and I had to retrieve it with duct tape and a tire iron and the second one let me know exactly where the next 6 where.

LPC are great when ya need a quick fix but ya build up a tolerance quick and start Jonesing for the good stuff.

So help me Gawd, I want SO bad to do this. Told my galfriend about it just this morning. If it's the last thing I ever do, I am seriously tryin' to find some way to get myself a real lamp post....and I wanta set that sucker up out in the middle of the woods in NOWHERESVILLE.....in like, 4-to-5 terrain! That'd be my cachin's icing on the cake of life. And for the cherry on top, wanta lift its skirt & stick a swag-filled 40-mm ammo carrier case under it!

~*

ah, memories...

thank you for the nostalgia.

The skirt was rusted down and I had to retrieve it with duct tape and a tire iron...

now that right there sounds exciting, y'all up there must have more challenging LPCs than we do down this way...

Yeah well, you've seen one rusted skirt you've seen 'em all. Only the first and last where actually rusted and the first was the only one rusted in place.

I am seriously tryin' to find some way to get myself a real lamp post

My wife bought me one for Christmas, and my plans are the same as yours. I just need to come up with a way to build a staple base to mount it on.

It came from Ebay and looks like this:

b4a40850-95d9-4b6a-9ae5-58c3b617e1fd.jpg

Oh man you gotta modify that with one of those $25.00 solar security lights from harbor freight.

A working street lamp in the middle of nowhere? I'd be dieing for a camera trap. :bad:

If it's the last thing I ever do, I am seriously tryin' to find some way to get myself a real lamp post....and I wanta set that sucker up out in the middle of the woods in NOWHERESVILLE

There used to be a hide-away cache on a guard rail in the middle of the woods here in Rhode Island. It was a nice walk in the woods to get there. (Guard rail from a long abandoned road)

So help me Gawd, I want SO bad to do this. Told my galfriend about it just this morning. If it's the last thing I ever do, I am seriously tryin' to find some way to get myself a real lamp post....and I wanta set that sucker up out in the middle of the woods in NOWHERESVILLE.....in like, 4-to-5 terrain! That'd be my cachin's icing on the cake of life. And for the cherry on top, wanta lift its skirt & stick a swag-filled 40-mm ammo carrier case under it!

~*

oh, DO, please.

I am seriously tryin' to find some way to get myself a real lamp post

My wife bought me one for Christmas, and my plans are the same as yours. I just need to come up with a way to build a staple base to mount it on.

It came from Ebay and looks like this: ...

HEY, Riff.....that's TEW KEWL!! Da Bomb! How tall is that one? ie, the real thing, or a 'model' of some sort?

Was it a one-of, or any chance the seller's got more? If so, please PM me the info!

& "...need to come up with a way to build a staple base to mount it on."

Presuming you mean 'stable'? Four pieces o' 2x4, & concrete_mix.jpg, bay-bee!!

~*

Oh man you gotta modify that with one of those $25.00 solar security lights from harbor freight.

The seller also has solar powered models. Viv was trying to buy me one of those, and clicked the wrong button. She offered to buy me one that was solar powered when mine arrived, but I opted against it. The area I want to hide it has a pretty thick canopy, and can feel like dusk at noon. I'm not sure it'd get enough power to illuminate the bulb. Also, I'm afraid that if it did light up, curious muggles might flock from afar, stumbling mindlessly to the light way out in the swamp.

How tall is that one? ie, the real thing, or a 'model' of some sort? Was it a one-of, or any chance the seller's got more? If so, please PM me the info!

The top of the curved piece sits about 8' above the ground. Viv got it off E-bay. The seller has gobs of them, with many various designs. I'm pretty sure this was the seller:

http://stores.ebay.com/savingtosaving/Outd...g-Fixtures.html

Four pieces o' 2x4, & concrete mix, bay-bee!!

That's what I'm afraid of. Where I wanna hide this requires about a mile long bushwhack through a wetland environment.

That 80# bag is gonna get mighty heavy! :D

The seller also has solar powered models. Viv was trying to buy me one of those, and clicked the wrong button. She offered to buy me one that was solar powered when mine arrived, but I opted against it. The area I want to hide it has a pretty thick canopy, and can feel like dusk at noon. I'm not sure it'd get enough power to illuminate the bulb. Also, I'm afraid that if it did light up, curious muggles might flock from afar, stumbling mindlessly to the light way out in the swamp.

How tall is that one? ie, the real thing, or a 'model' of some sort? Was it a one-of, or any chance the seller's got more? If so, please PM me the info!

The top of the curved piece sits about 8' above the ground. Viv got it off E-bay. The seller has gobs of them, with many various designs. I'm pretty sure this was the seller:

http://stores.ebay.com/savingtosaving/Outd...g-Fixtures.html

Four pieces o' 2x4, & concrete mix, bay-bee!!

That's what I'm afraid of. Where I wanna hide this requires about a mile long bushwhack through a wetland environment.

That 80# bag is gonna get mighty heavy! :D

The biggest worry is getting around the 'digging' guideline.

Hay look! Wonna them thar UFOs in the swarmp! Hey ya'll, watch this!

~*

I have always wanted to do that. I also considred buying a newspaper box on ebay and putting it out somewhere with a decent hike to get to it. Unfortuantely those things are a bit expensive though so I haven't done it.

Edited by carleenp

ah, memories...

It was nothing short of brilliant. Had me stimmied for an hour (there was a lot more in tha spot than lamp posts though). They my daughter found it. "Whoah...those do that?"

238749387 times later, Yup they still do that. But still like you said, the first one we look for is brilliant.

ah, memories...

It was nothing short of brilliant. Had me stimmied for an hour (there was a lot more in tha spot than lamp posts though). They my daughter found it. "Whoah...those do that?"

238749387 times later, Yup they still do that. But still like you said, the first one we look for is brilliant.

The published coordinates to one of my favorite caches took you near the edge of a large strip mall parking lot littered with light poles. There are numerous logs which read something along the lines of "looked in the obvious spot but didn't find it. I think it's missing." If they would have read the listing a bit closer or ventured a 100' or so from the published coordinate they would have seen a creek bed and noticed the large tunnel that runs under the parking lot.

"If they would have ...ventured a 100' or so from the published coordinate they would have seen a creek bed and noticed the large tunnel that runs under the parking lot.

Just did some quick math....& a 100' radius circle covers almost 3/4 of an acre. Not many GPS users gonna be searching that much area on something they believe's down to ~15' or better!

Pretty good, if not 'clever' hide, in my mind.

~*

"If they would have ...ventured a 100' or so from the published coordinate they would have seen a creek bed and noticed the large tunnel that runs under the parking lot.

Just did some quick math....& a 100' radius circle covers almost 3/4 of an acre. Not many GPS users gonna be searching that much area on something they believe's down to ~15' or better!

Pretty good, if not 'clever' hide, in my mind.

~*

In this case, it was an open parking lot that didn't have any features other then the light posts and a guard rail perhaps 75' away from ground zero. I've certainly found quite a few caches 50 feet or more from the published coordinates. In one case I found one about 25' from "ground zero" (which was changing frequently) when my GPS was showing 95' accuracy.

In the case of the cache I was referring to, it seemed that many were relying too much on the GPS to take them to a set of coordinates rather than reading the cache listing (the terrain of 2.5 and the name of the cache were pretty good indicators that it wasn't an LPC) and using geosense to find the cache.