For those of you who have done power trails.

Coldgears

I really want to do a power trail of 138 caches. However, my "chauffeur" has some back injuries, and can't really sit in a car for a long period of time. It is already a 50 mile drive (an hour) to the power trail.

Here's whats going on.

- Two people

- one of them is a driver

- one of them the cacher

- We are in a Kia

- It is a gravel road

- 138 caches

How long should this take under these circumstances? Hopefully not more then two hours...

And can a Kia drive on a gravel road?

EDIT:

I need a place to get 15-20 spare film cans... Where can I get them free?

Edited by Coldgears

1) How far apart are the 138 caches. This is an important bit of information.

2) Anything can drive on gravel roads.

3) I'm not telling you where you can get free film canisters at Walmart because I'm sure you would abuse that information.

4) You can do it in a day. Leave early. If the driver complains, call him names. Pay for the gas.

Most of your time will be getting in and out of the car, finding the cache, and signing the log. Plan on at least 1 minute per cache not counting driving time. Also plan on about 1 minute for every .3mi between caches.

My best, dirt road with caches .5-.8mi apart, ~50 caches in two hours. (one driver, one cacher)

Edited by Downy288

1) How far apart are the 138 caches. This is an important bit of information.

2) Anything can drive on gravel roads.

3) I'm not telling you where you can get free film canisters at Walmart because I'm sure you would abuse that information.

4) You can do it in a day. Leave early. If the driver complains, call him names. Pay for the gas.

.12 - .15 miles

What do I do? Walk into wal-mart and ask them for 20 film cans? And they just hand them over? Don't they throw them away? Do I have to pre-ask them and pick them up once they collect 20?

I'm not sure the driver would ever drive me again if I called him names. The driver does not sound too pleased and think the whole power-trail idea is pointless.

I really want to do a power trail of 138 caches. However, my "chauffeur" has some back injuries, and can't really sit in a car for a long period of time.

You really should have been helping with the hurricane preparations. Now look what you've done. You caused your chauffeur to throw his back out. tsk tsk tsk.

It is already a 50 mile drive (an hour) to the power trail.

That far you really should considering renting a room for a couple of days or find a location a little closer to home. And remember the vacaction rule. Are you going to be able to maintain caches so far away?

Here's whats going on.

- Two people

- one of them is a driver

- one of them the cacher

You need a third person to toss the film cans out the window while the cacher marks the waypoints.

- We are in a Kia

There's your first mistake.

- It is a gravel road

You should really try to find a muddy, worn out dirt road. Much more fun for these kinds of things.

- 138 caches

Why are you limiting yourself so much? All the cool kids are building 500+ pt's these days.

How long should this take under these circumstances? Hopefully not more then two hours...

If it's an hour just to get there you're going to be over the 2 hours just getting there and back. You really should consider spreading this out over the course of a weekend

The only self driving cars I know of at the moment are being tested by Google. I don't think they're Kias.

I know of a couple of caches in your area with hundreds of empty film cans. Just make sure you don't take the one with the logsheet.

Another pair of variables:

How far off the roadway.

Nature of the hide.

Three folks works better ... swap duties every 30 - 50 hides.

Lots of munchies

Lots of water

Navigator needs to have a good feel for distance ... bummer to have 500 feet called out and the navigator locks them up tight and stops 400 feet short of GZ. But it does give one 400 feet of distance to pry one's face off the windshield.

Wall of text.

Woah, I'm not hiding them. I'm finding them!

What is the purpose then of these mysterious film canisters that you are asking for?

My spidey senses tell me that this is a trick question!

Edited by dfx

Wall of text.

What is the purpose then of these mysterious film canisters that you are asking for?

To replace to missing caches.

138 caches along this power trail. You are looking for 15-20 film cans. So you are expecting around 1 in ten of them to be missing? And how will you know that they are missing?

Yes... (sigh...) Walmart or any other photo center will give you all the film canisters you want, free of charge. 15-20 is nothing for them, even in this day of digital photography. Speaking of which... be sure to ask for the film cans from digital pictures, if at all possible. They are far superior to any others.

Wall of text.

The owner of the power trail states right on the cache page that searchers should replace "missing" cache containers. One of those "tourism" concerns, suddenly developing an interest in attracting traffic, not so concerned about responsible cache ownership.

Seriously, you're asking if a Kia can be driven on gravel?

181148-triple_facepalm_super.jpg

Edited by Pup Patrol

I haven't done a power trail, but I will give my 2 bits, is that you need a different driver. Gravel roads are bumpy and there's going to be dust. Your driver has a sore back and the car will be jiggling. They will be complaining ALOT. I'm sure you can find someone else to go with, perhaps from a local geocaching forum.

Yeah. A three hour drive makes my back hurt, I cant see me willingly sitting in a car for hours on a bumpy road with back pain from the start.

I haven't done a power trail, but I will give my 2 bits, is that you need a different driver. Gravel roads are bumpy and there's going to be dust. Your driver has a sore back and the car will be jiggling. They will be complaining ALOT. I'm sure you can find someone else to go with, perhaps from a local geocaching forum.

I haven't done a power trail either and I don't know of any within 100 miles of where I live. I would also suggest a different driver for another reason. Most of the pro-power trail posts that I've seen mention the social aspect of the game; that part of the fun in doing it comes from doing with other geocachers that welcome the challenge. If the driver doesn't really want to do it, they're probably not going to be much fun to be with after the 20th cache. If you're not doing it for fun, then why *are* you going out to find 100+ film can that are probably hidden in a nearly identical manner. Personally, I'd get bored real quick with that so the company I'd be doing it better be pretty good.

EDIT:

I get all the other questions, but given your earlier reference to not hiding any caches, this doesn't compute. Why do you need 15-20 film cans? Are you diametrically opposed to utilizing containers which have stood the test of time? Will these be used as throw downs? While it's understood that you really can't do anything about the owner's innate desire to use crappy containers, must you follow their lead like the proverbial lemming? If these are to be used as throw downs, spewed out whenever you decide the cache must be missing, should you ask yourself why an honest DNF is so unpalatable to you? If you don't find a cache, wouldn't that be the accurate log type? Or are you planning on claiming a find for something that's in your pocket? If throw downs are needed, perhaps you could address the concept of owner maintenance? Seems they agreed to maintain their trail of film cans when they submitted them for publishing.

- 138 caches

1 hour 12 mins, 1 hour 26 at most.

Yes, however make sure you adjust the tire pressures accordingly. On the inside of the drivers side door jam, there is a label that tells you what normal pressures should be. Add 11 to 13 lbs of pressure to these for longer than normal travel times on gravel roads.

Film canisters should work fine, however standard ones do not hold up well to weather extremes. Make sure they give you the digital ones. If the clerk doesn't know what you are looking for (it is walmart after all), mention you'll be traveling and need "xray resistance". You may just save time and ask to talk to a manager up front.

EDIT:

Or are you planning on claiming a find for something that's in your pocket?

I found this very funny. Almost spit on my screen.

I would agree that you should find a different driver. Gravel roads and distances are not good for people with bad backs.

EDIT:

Or are you planning on claiming a find for something that's in your pocket?

I found this very funny. Almost spit on my screen.

I would agree that you should find a different driver. Gravel roads and distances are not good for people with bad backs.

Ditto for me. Find another driver. I have one of those "bad backs" and I wouldn't last long on a gravel road constantly stopping and starting, especially in a Kia...a Lincoln Town Car, okay.

- 138 caches

hmmm.......simple math...... 138 caches @ 1 minute each (drive to it, find it, sign log, replace it) = 138 minutes = 2.3 hours

If this is a gravel road. Than this might not be your regular Park and Grab power trail. YOu need to make sure they are all 1/1's or 1.5/1.5's IF they are at a sign every 500' than it will be easy but if they are each behind a rock or beside a tree your time will greatly increase. More than likely it will be easy but I have went to a trail before and assumed it was going to be a short power trail, and the CO hid each of them and made you work. Nothing wrong with that but we were not prepared for that. So just make sure it is what you think it is or your driver really will be ticked. Nothing like working crazy hard on finding over 100 film cans.

I'm assuming that it's the "power trail" that Coldgears asked about back in May in this thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=273275

There's even a Google Streetview shot included in that thread.

Quoted from the cache page of #01:

First cache of the series

NOTE: there should NOT be any DNF's. Take a few spare micro containers and logs with you. If you find a cache is missing, just replace it (claiming a find) and move on--better for you and much less work for the Commission!

I'm assuming that it's the "power trail" that Coldgears asked about back in May in this thread:

NOTE: there should NOT be any DNF's. Take a few spare micro containers and logs with you. If you find a cache is missing, just replace it (claiming a find) and move on--better for you and much less work for the Commission!

Why am I picturing trees with piles of film canisters at their bases along the side of a road now ....

<snip>

<more snip>

I'm not sure the driver would ever drive me again if I called him names. The driver does not sound too pleased and think the whole power-trail idea is pointless.

You need another driver. Why would you want to spend an hour, let alone 3-5 with someone who isn't happy? Geocaching is supposed to be FUN.

Edited by wimseyguy

<snip>

<more snip>

You need another driver. Why would you want to spend an hour, let alone 3-5 with someone who isn't happy? Geocaching is supposed to be FUN.

Step 1: Go to ebay.com

Step 2: Look for 'Kit Knight Rider Car'

Step 3: Go back in time a few years, get a job to earn $$ for Step 2.

Step 4: Buy said car (who will drive himself)

Step 5: Go by yourself

Step 6: Be sure to write fake logs for your buddy with the bad back

Step 7: Go back home, let us know how it went!

http://forums.Ground...howtopic=273275

Why am I picturing trees with piles of film canisters at their bases along the side of a road now ....

Exactly the image I had in mind!:lol:

Does anyone else besides me think that the inclusion of text in a cache description asking others to "help" maintain a cache should be grounds for denying the publication of the cache?

The guidelines clearly state that the cache owner is responsible for maintaining the cache, and I think asking others to replace missing containers wasn't what GS had in mind when they wrote the guidelines.

That's so pathetic. It's bad enough for the Commission to be actively encouraging claiming finds on caches you did not find, (maybe we can pretend that the Commission isn't really a sock puppet, and as such, doesn't know how negatively such practices can be viewed), but for those actually doing the trail to participate in such nonsense is wrong on so many levels. That statement makes me wonder if it was worded that way when it was published. If I create a cache, (checking the little box agreeing to adhere to the guidelines), then state on the cache page that I have no intention of doing the maintenance I just agreed to do, would it get published?

Naturally, those who feel that increasing their find count is more important than keeping an accurate account of their finds won't have any problem with it. I guess it does solve one issue. Since it is seemingly OK to log finds on caches you didn't find, just because you happen to stop near ground zero, perhaps we can dispense with the weekly "Cheaters didn't sign the log" threads? :unsure:

That's so pathetic. It's bad enough for the Commission to be actively encouraging claiming finds on caches you did not find, (maybe we can pretend that the Commission isn't really a sock puppet, and as such, doesn't know how negatively such practices can be viewed), but for those actually doing the trail to participate in such nonsense is wrong on so many levels. That statement makes me wonder if it was worded that way when it was published. If I create a cache, (checking the little box agreeing to adhere to the guidelines), then state on the cache page that I have no intention of doing the maintenance I just agreed to do, would it get published?

Naturally, those who feel that increasing their find count is more important than keeping an accurate account of their finds won't have any problem with it. I guess it does solve one issue. Since it is seemingly OK to log finds on caches you didn't find, just because you happen to stop near ground zero, perhaps we can dispense with the weekly "Cheaters didn't sign the log" threads? :unsure:

Funny. I mentioned that very issue back in May, and got slammed by "some people" for it.

huh.

:rolleyes:

http://forums.Ground...howtopic=273275

Does anyone else besides me think that the inclusion of text in a cache description asking others to "help" maintain a cache should be grounds for denying the publication of the cache?

The guidelines clearly state that the cache owner is responsible for maintaining the cache, and I think asking others to replace missing containers wasn't what GS had in mind when they wrote the guidelines.

Yes, I'm with you on that. I wonder if that text was added post-publication, or if the reviewer cut them some slack because the hiders are marketers rather than real geocachers.

Cut-and-paste of the cache page for #01, spelling errors as is:

The trail spands 2/3 of Delaware at one of its narrowest points and runs along the south side of the C&D Canal. All of the hides are easy to find and most of them are hidden in the same way. Typically they are 0.12 to 0.15 miles apart on the lower gravel road along the canal.

Log all of your informatin only for C&D 01 or 54 (first and last cache) and just do a simple cut and paste log for the other caches. Generally The Commission does not pay any attention to the high volume of logs on the other caches.

UPDATE 5/11 MikeOtt placed 11 caches over 1.2 miles just east of the start of the C&D trail. These caches are beyond the locked gate so they are hile/Bike only with no driving access.

Yes, I'm with you on that. I wonder if that text was added post-publication, or if the reviewer cut them some slack because the hiders are marketers rather than real geocachers.

Rather than giving them slack, would it not have been better if the reviewer had helped them?

Perhaps a bit of gentle guidance would have resulted in something more in accordance with the Guidelines.

Okay. I got my answer. Next weekend (labor day) we are going to spend the day caching in a beautiful small town and end it with a night cache. The next weekend (first one after school starts) we will be doing the power-trail. We are going to do as many as he can handle before leaving. That may mean only 30. The weekend after that we will be going to the Blue Hole in NJ.

No more need for discussion now... I have my next 3 weeks planned...

Okay. I got my answer. Next weekend (labor day) we are going to spend the day caching in a beautiful small town and end it with a night cache. The next weekend (first one after school starts) we will be doing the power-trail. We are going to do as many as he can handle before leaving. That may mean only 30. The weekend after that we will be going to the Blue Hole in NJ.

No more need for discussion now... I have my next 3 weeks planned...

From what I think I know of you, I would expect that you would find it very disappointing to only get 30 on the not do the entire power trail on one trip, CG.

By the way, where did you find a driver?

There are 138 film cans on the trail. With the stated maintenance plan you can just pick up all the film cans and log a find on them. The next cacher can replace all 138 cans and claim a find on them. Leave all the film cans at the end or first cache location so the next cacher has enough cans. This will also reduce your time to find for each cache since you don't have to open them. :)

From what I think I know of you, I would expect that you would find it very disappointing to only get 30 on the not do the entire power trail on one trip, CG.

The driver is my dad... I am used to being disappointed. There have been many times I wanted to continue caching and he couldn't physically do so. I can't really complain though, it's better then no geocaching at all...

The driver is my dad... I am used to being disappointed. There have been many times I wanted to continue caching and he couldn't physically do so. I can't really complain though, it's better then no geocaching at all...

How about doing it on your bike. Have your dad drop you off and pick you up. Or, is it too far from home for that? Oh well... moot point I guess, if the plans are already made.

You've got a good attitude and a nice dad. Even with his physical shortcomings, he's going out there with you. I know you'll both have a blast together. Have fun!

I agree. If someone offers to help when a cache is out of sorts, that's one thing, but placing caches that you know off the bat are beyond your ability to maintain is not acceptable.

There are 138 film cans on the trail. With the stated maintenance plan you can just pick up all the film cans and log a find on them. The next cacher can replace all 138 cans and claim a find on them. Leave all the film cans at the end or first cache location so the next cacher has enough cans. This will also reduce your time to find for each cache since you don't have to open them. :)

Ya know, I think you are on to something! I'll donate a 50 calibre ammo can, which can reside at the posted coords for the first film can. All 138 film cans can rest comfortably inside. When someone wants to do the trail, they'll only have to make one stop. Open the can, pop 138 lids, sign 138 logs, replace 138 lids, close can. You've got 138 more smileys, and the owner no longer needs to worry about maintenance. A "Win-Win" if I ever heard of one! <_<

It sounds like you are just doing it for the numbers. Why not find another cacher in the area too go to these and get. If your dad enjoys going with you find areas that both of you will enjoy. Doing a power run just to increase your numbers added with the fact that you probably wont get all of them, it will end up being more of a negative trip then a positive one. The first weekend you are planning sounds awesome. IT does sound like you have a good dad. I hope you continue caching together.

Very cool stuff

ASh