using one email address for two members

6Hinemoa2

Hello,

I am hoping you can help me solve this problem.

Both Alan and I are members but we have differing email addresses. Is it possible for both of us to use the same email address? If so how do I change it?

When I do try, on Alan's profile page,I get a message that states hat particular email address is already in use' and I cannot proceed any further.

Really appreciate any feedback.

Thank you

I think you can. Try going on one of your accounts, go to settings, go to 'email authorizations', and change the e-mail. Should work.

Wrong.

Security of your email address takes precedence.

Only one primary email address is allowed. A secondary address can be added.

And you need to do that by clicking "email preferences". There is no "email authorizations" option in your GS profile.

Hello,

I am hoping you can help me solve this problem.

Both Alan and I are members but we have differing email addresses. Is it possible for both of us to use the same email address? If so how do I change it?

When I do try, on Alan's profile page,I get a message that states hat particular email address is already in use' and I cannot proceed any further.

Really appreciate any feedback.

Thank you

Do you each have your own caching account? Or do you both cache under the one account/username?

If you only have one GS account, you can only use one primary email address. You can add a secondary account under "email preferences".

https://www.geocaching.com/account/settings/emailpreferences

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Another possible alternative (I havent tried it so it's just a theory) is to setup a gmail account specifically for caching, call it something like 6Hinemoa2@gmail.com . Then you can take advantage of the fact that gmail ignores dots (.) in the usernames so you could setup your primary email address as 6Hinemoa2@gmail.com and setup your husband's primary email address as 6Hine.moa2@gmail.com, I suspect Geocaching.com would treat these as different addresses and would let you set them up, but gmail will deliver emails addressed to both into the same gmail account.

If you try it report back whether it works or no :rolleyes:

Another variation is to add a +comment in one (or more) of the email addresses. Many mailers will deliver email addressed to username+comment@example.com to the same inbox as email addressed to username@example.com, but the address looks different to external systems.

But as Keystone indicated, if the Groundspeak systems think your email address is username+comment@example.com and your email system shows username@example.com as the sender, then replying to email messages received via the Message Center no longer works. For example:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=338065

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I will have to sit down and try some of them out. I agree that since your email address is a form of security we wont be able to share the same one. Maybe forwarding to another account will be the way to go if i can do it.

That will take time for me as I am not very computer confident. Appreciate the help and will give it a go.